What's new

Is killing another human being wrong?

Is killing a person ever right?

• Total voters

Jericho Desu

七転八起
23 Feb 2008
Ok, first of all no I haven't gone mad or plan to kill anyone...

This subject has been bothering me quite abit and it really didn't hit home till I started watching Red Cliff (part 1) which is basically another Chinese old "swords and arrows" movie (albeit a pretty good one) and I was thinking "wow all this killing and this is basically... entertainment" which led me to this question.

Do you in your honest opinion believe there is a justifiable reason to kill a fellow human being? When people go to war for example they do it to "defend their country", but going to war usually means killing, regardless of the circumstances that is what you would do, so does war justify killing? The death penalty is another one, a person commits a grave crime and people decide he deserves death essentially meaning a person or a group of people play God and decide to take that person's life.

I know this could be a very broad subject really, but the jist of it I think is pretty clear.

As for my own opinion well, personally I believe no human has the right to take another's life, we should be far above that. You could argue then do we have a so called "right" to take an animal's life? For me I would only kill an animal to eat it not because I think it should die, of course that's a whole different thing anyway.

Last edited:
I voted "I don't know".

If someone was anout to chop up my loved one with an axe, and I had a gun in my hand,
I don't think I would hesitate to shoot that person (the person with the axe, not my loved one). If that person ends up dying from the gunshot, is my action justifiable because I was just trying to save my loved one? Does the fact that I did not set out to KILL her/him make any difference? I don't know. :?

I voted "I don't know".
If someone was anout to chop up my loved one with an axe, and I had a gun in my hand,
I don't think I would hesitate to shoot that person (the person with the axe, not my loved one). If that person ends up dying from the gunshot, is my action justifiable because I was just trying to save my loved one? Does the fact that I did not set out to KILL her/him make any difference? I don't know. :?

I've also thought about a situation like that; if someone say killed my mum and I had them cornered with a gun or something I'm not sure what I'd do. I would like to say I would think of how my mum wouldn't want me killing someone and end up going to jail for the rest of my life therefore proberly leave the guy black and blue for the cops, but I don't know...

Morbid little quiz maker aren't ya! :D

I voted Yes, there are times when it is ok. I used to be more on the side that it is never right; however, I'm far more pragmatic now. If someone is going to try to kill me, I will not hesitate to defend myself by any means necessary. If someone tries to kill those I care about, then I'm going to take them out first. Now, I won't actively seek out to cause harm, but I have no moral problems with defending myself or others from anyone who directly, and clearly seeks to do them mortal harm.

Of course, this can get murky really fast, especially when it gets into international relations, wars, and who knows what...

To protect my family and friends I will kill, but it would be quick and clean.

I think there should be an option 'No, its not.', because I personally don't think it is right or wrong. I merely think of it as a fact, an unfortunate one from our perspective, but still merely a fact.

Like Derfel, I'm not happy with the terms "right" and "wrong". I voted "Yes, it's sometimes right" because that matches my opinion most closely, although I wouldn't phrase it in exactly those words. I think in some rare situations, killing someone is the most reasonable course of action.

Like Derfel, I'm not happy with the terms "right" and "wrong". I voted "Yes, it's sometimes right" because that matches my opinion most closely, although I wouldn't phrase it in exactly those words. I think in some rare situations, killing someone is the most reasonable course of action.
I agree,and i choose "Yes, it's sometimes right" ..
No one have the right to take the life of someone else or even his life.

Hmm... I understand what you guys mean, it is a fact and maybe in certain situations it's the only option, but for me it feels weird, I think there would always be a plan B. I guess I'm just naive, but that's ok with me lol

Hmm... I understand what you guys mean, it is a fact and maybe in certain situations it's the only option, but for me it feels weird, I think there would always be a plan B. I guess I'm just naive, but that's ok with me lol

Of course you would feel weird. Any normal person would feel pretty weird if he had to kill another being (animals included). Its only a matter of whether you attribute special importance to life, something inherent. And yes, there's always plan B, but people quickly forget the risky, dangerous plan B which could prevent the death of the assailant or whoever, because, to tell the truth, when the survival mechanism kicks in, most people care so very little for others' lives.

Jericho-san,Did you kill someone ? hahahaah i wonder why you ask such a question like this lol.

I voted "Yes" because I think it's fine if it's to defend yourself, and/or you can't possibly save yourself and let them live.

Jericho-san,Did you kill someone ? hahahaah i wonder why you ask such a question like this lol.

Haha, no not yet, its just that I see death/killing depicted in so much of our media and the general reaction is like this is the norm, which in some ways it is, but I sometimes feel people are not very conscious about what they're seeing or what they are enjoying.

I mean growing up it was very simple wasn't it? There are the good guys who beat the bad guys, as you get older the bad guys are not only beaten but are killed, but that's made out to be perfectly acceptable, the fact that the person is human, proberly has family and a heartbeat like all of us seems to float out of the mind.

The older I've gotten the more conscious I've become of this, I know this is part of us, it has been proberly since the beginning, but with how we "advance" make new technologies, get smarter, go political correctness crazy, go into space etc etc, it seems some things never change.

Can't wait to play Killzone 2 on hard tonight! 😊

I think it's only right if you're forced to, if you're fighting for your life and have no other option. Although I'm not a fan of the whole "Kill or be killed' phrase, some people don't have a choice. It makes me glad that I don't have to kill other humans to live my daily life.

Yes that's very true, in some place right now a person has to make that decision to survive. I do often think how lucky I am even though I complain alot, but I get that from my mum =P

P.S. Welcome!

Yes I agree. I feel very sorry for the less-fortunate people that live in the world. I want to some how make a difference, or at least try and help as many people as I can.

And thank you for the welcoming ( :

out-topic:
uhm,you are a gamer Jericho !
Do you play Killzone 2 on Playstation 3 ?

On-topic:
I am glad i am not forced to kill someone ^^
Jericho Desu said:
Haha, no not yet
sounds like you are waiting for the Opportunity hehe *joke*

I hope no one of us forced to kill someone ever.

Yes I agree. I feel very sorry for the less-fortunate people that live in the world. I want to some how make a difference, or at least try and help as many people as I can.
And thank you for the welcoming ( :
But really Jay...can we help all the ignorant selfish people in this place?

Back
Top Bottom