What's new

Being a foreign Doctor in Japan

And did he pass the national licensing exam for physicians in Japan?

I mean I'm guessing he had too? Haven't asked him but I'm guessing he'd have to to work in Japan anyway, I'm not to familiar with the whole thing. I just know he went over there for two months during the summer and then came back for a bit before going back out there to work as a trainee. I mean, going by his actual facebook pictures as well it seems like it he actually working as a doctor.

Facts are preferable to guesses, if you can obtain them, please.

Do you want me to just ask that or anything else is specific?

What specific medical profession (doctor, nurse, x-ray technician, etc) he attempted to enter in Japan and whether he sat and passed the national licensing exams/boards in Japan, please.

In any case, to enroll in a Japanese university, you will have to study the Japanese language to bring your proficiency to a quite good level so that you can follow the lectures in Japanese. Normally if you start from zero (or very basic level) it takes one or two years of full-time study for the language, so you are looking at paying tuition for a total of 8 years to graduate from a medical school in Japan.

Also, some professions are tied to national examinations/licenses, and medical doctor is one of them. So if you attend a medical school in Japan, get licensed as a medical doctor in Japan, then Japan will be where you practice.

If you attend a medical school in your country and get licensed in your country, I believe there is a way that you can sit for the Japanese national exam later - provided that the ministry considers your academic degree is equivalent to that in Japan, and also that you are fluent in Japanese.
p.s Thanks for STEP Eiken - Wikipedia -topazy Useful link!

Last edited:
In any case, to enroll in a Japanese university, you will have to study the Japanese language to bring your proficiency to a quite good level so that you can follow the lectures in Japanese. Normally if you start from zero (or very basic level) it takes one or two years of full-time study for the language, so you are looking at paying tuition for a total of 8 years to graduate from a medical school in Japan.

Not necessarily.

International University of Health and Welfare IUHW School of Medicine

Also, some professions are tied to national examinations/licenses, and medical doctor is one of them. So if you attend a medical school in Japan, get licensed as a medical doctor in Japan, then Japan will be where you practice.

Not necessarily. There are Japanese licensed medical doctors who practice medicine outside Japan.

If you attend a medical school in your country and get licensed in your country, I believe there is a way that you can sit for the Japanese national exam later - provided that the ministry considers your academic degree is equivalent to that in Japan, and also that you are fluent in Japanese.

Yes, there is a way and it is very clearly outlined on the MHLW website.

医師国家試験受験資格認定について|厚生労働省

Back
Top Bottom