What's new

Emperor Tenji a honor and unifying factor for Japanese?

Mansoor

Sempai
4 Mar 2016
I recently was interested to study a little about Japan history, but sadly Wikipedia doesn't work in my system so I found a Farsi article about Japan history and studied that. The article mentioned a Japanese Emperor namely " Tenji" and it was told that he was the most powerful, active and builder Emperor of the country in the history.

40007146438555813116.jpeg.gif;

I wanted to know is he a honorable historical character for you Japanese, and basically how much you importance him in your history?

He is just one of the well-known ancient emperors; the key person of the Taika Reform, elder brother of Tenmu, etc. I don't think he is so much popular comparing to feudal lords in the Sengoku period or heroes in the end of Edo period.

So please tell me, who was the best and most famous leader of Japan in the history that was popular and people of Japan liked him and mentioned him as the exalted leader? The brave character that was the cause of advantage and unity of Japan people?

Last edited:
I don't think there is the only one person all the people agree with. Oda Nobunaga might be the closest to it, but not all Japanese people like him, and he died before the unification of the whole country in the first place.

Depends on the period you are looking at, but in terms of historic(al) importance definitely the triumvirate of Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu, aka the three unifiers of Japan. If you look at the bakumatsu period I believe personalities like Sakamoto Ryoma and the more controversial Saigo Takamori achieved a certain degree of popularity.

Some figures traditionally considered villains, such as the shinsengumi or Oguri Tadamasa and others supporting the shogunate in its final days are seen in a different light nowadays, thanks to popular dramas like the NHK Taiga series or simply due to a more balanced and critical as well as less biased approach to historical research.

Back
Top Bottom