What's new

COVID-19 Drive-in theaters make comeback amid pandemic

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Not just in the US or in Iran: with cinemas closed in the course of the Coronavirus pandemic drive-in theatres (ドライブインシアター) are gaining new popularity in Japan.

drive-in-theatre-japan.jpg

Drive-in theatres are witnessing a resurgence after cinemas were shuttered because of the new coronavirus pandemic. Outdoor film screening events were held in Yamanashi Prefecture in April and Miyazaki Prefecture and Hokkaido in May, among other places. Just like in old movies, patrons park in an outdoor lot facing a large screen and tune into a broadcast of the movie's audio with their car radios to enjoy a show. Do It Theater, based in Tokyo's Meguro Ward, plans to host a drive-in cinema event as early as June at a parking lot of the Oiso Long Beach resort in Kanagawa Prefecture, which used to have a permanent drive-in theatre, as a way to offer people a way to release health crisis-related tension. "While there is less real-life entertainment content available, the audience can enjoy an out-of-the-ordinary cinematic experience while they observe social distancing," said Daichi Ito, who heads Do It Theater.

Source: Drive-in theaters making a comeback amid pandemic : The Asahi Shimbun

I didn't either mdchachi, I asked my wife who is Japanese from Nagasaki prefecture and I was like did I overlook that when we were dating? She said Nagasaki prefecture didn't have any and she never heard of any in Fukuoka prefecture either. To be honest that makes me feel a bit better that she didn't know them either lol. I do know where couples go to umm "park" in some areas around there though.

Back
Top Bottom