What's new

Does the japanese government give any loans to international students?

buklau

Registered
19 Nov 2012
Just curious if one needs financial support, would they give you a loan that you would eventually pay off, or would you have to pay it all, apart from obtained scholarships.

There is such a system (we're doing the paperwork for my son at the moment), but I don't know if it is available for foreign students or not. I rather doubt it.

I know plenty of people who've come to Japan under different ways (scholarship/self-support/government sponsor), but never once have I heard of getting loans from the Japanese government. In some other countries (like Singapore), you can loan the money with the condition of working for a Singaporean company for at least 3 years. So far I don't think Japanese education has this kind of system for foreign students.

I'm not sure whether you want to come here as an undergraduate or a graduate student? If it's the former case, then the best way to come is under the Japanese government scholarship, which provides you one year of language training. You need Japanese for the studying anyway. If it's the latter case, then you can come and try to survive for the first semester (if you can't get any scholarship at all - it's pretty hard to apply for one outside Japan). But you get get a decent one from the second semester (with at least 100,000JPY), or can have some combination of smaller scholarships (some of my friends get these kinds of smaller ones - which allow you to receive multiple scholarships at the same time). One advantage of you is that you are a Canadian - or hopefully at least a native speaker of English - then you can find some decent teaching position which can help you have an easier life here.

Back
Top Bottom