What's new

Do You Have a Favorite Japanese Word or Phrase?

In the Witch Hunter Robin theme song, the word "oshiete" makes me giggle every time.

ピョンピョン - if used descriptive for でっかいおっぱい

😄 ピョン、 😍 ピョン! :D スケベッ! :p

And "oshiriame" :D a rather weird direct translation of 坐薬, just a running gag :giggle:

My favourite would be "za- za- buri" (description for a hard rain).

In general, I like most of the gitaigo (the onomatopoeia). They are just a bit hard to memorize sometimes.

ドゥ ユー ハーブ ア フェヴォリート ジャパニーズ ワード オァ フレーズ? :giggle:

イエス アイ ハーブ: :p :D
ドゥ ユー ウォナ ダンス ウィズ ミー?
アイ ラブ ユー
トゥ ビー オァ ノット トゥ ビー

I think my favorite is "dou demo ii kedo". It kind of means "whatever". Like "Aitsu to kitara nanimokamo shippai bakkari da na. Dou demo ii kedo. (That guy sure screws everything up. But whatever, I guess...)

blessed said:
shinde kudasai... :D

I'm new at this so I might be wrong, but that should be "shine kudasai", ne?

my favorite is "temee!!!". You can't just shout "you!!" at someone in english. (well you could but it would sound stupid :p)

someone obviously watches anime (cough rajs20 cough)
shinde kudasai is correct, but a bit too weird since it's polite.
shine is what you hear in anime all the time. it's an "order", so you can't say shine kudasai. just shine.

temee is good. my brother mutters it all the time...

rakuten said:
tenki oneesan :giggle: :D 👍
haha, i like that one too 👍

東京特許許可局
とうきょうとっきょきょかきょく
Tokyo tokkyo kyoka kyoku

rajs20 said:
I'm new at this so I might be wrong, but that should be "shine kudasai", ne?

Like OK_man said, it is a bit strange to say "please die" to someone. The reason that it's shinde kudasai is because the polite imperative (please X) is formed by adding kudasai to the -te form of verbs. Kudasai is basically an auxiliary verb here, and many auxiliaries are connected to verbs by use of the -te form, e.g. iru, aru, oku, iku, kuru, shimau. Here are some examples with main verbs:

死んでいる(しんでいる) - he's dead
書いてある(かいてある) - it has been written
言っておく(いっておく) - to tell (in advance)
あがっていく - to continue rising
寒くなってくる(さむくなってくる) - to come to be cold
食べてしまう(たべてしまう) - to eat all up

My favorite phrases are "Bonsai" and "Wa"
A friend of mine from Tokyo would always say "Wa" at me when she either didnt understand me, or when she'd want to embarass me, It drove me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom