What's new

Do you agree that Emperor Akihito should visit the Yasukuni War Shrine

Do you agree that Emperor Akihito should visit the Yasukuni War Shrine?

• Yes, I do

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • I am Neutral toward this matter

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I do not know enough background info to make a judgment

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I am not interested in this matter

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
"Emperor" is treated from various foreign countries as substantial "Sovereign in Japan".
This is a key issue in understanding exactly what the Emperor is.

When Westerners use the term "Emperor" they are basing it off a percieved notion of Roman history, whether they realize it or not.

The word "Emperor" in English is derived from l'empereur, which in turn is derived from the Latin word imperator which roughly translates to "commander" or "one with military authority to command soldiers". It was originally an honorific title awarded to generals who won victories in the field, and carried with it certain authority and powers.

What we call "emperors" were really called princeps (or "First Citizen"/"First Man") by the Romans. They were effectively constitutional monarchs at first (based on Augustus' redesigning of the Roman government), but grew more powerful through monopolistic control of the Roman army. By the end of the first century, though, imperator had become synonymous with the term princeps because it had increasingly become awarded only to the emperor. Any man who was declared imperator by his soldiers ended up revolting against the emperor.

By the beginning of the fourth century and Diocletian's establishment of the Tetrarchy, the term princeps was abandoned and replaced with the term dominus which means "master". In the East, Greek language prevailed and the term ニ陳ソニ津槌津柁津哉津鞍津照陳ソニ津柁津哉津 (autokrator) was used.

Thus, the term "Emperor" is actually quite difficult to define in a distinct political sense. There was never a singular Roman equivalent for it. It could mean "ruler of an empire", or it could mean "sovereign with a higher rank than king". It could also carry a degree of divinity.

Just as an aside note, the United States had an emperor. Emperor Norton I.

On reflecting from this news about disrespecting the Yasakuni death and memorial, it really depends on what's people's current views are on how the world runs. Maybe it's a little too early to expect peace in Japan, because so many of their politicians have been doing things right, but not in other people's (usually females) way. I guess the most important thing to do when you hear about political pride is to stay neutral while still giving respect.

Ok here is my tuppence worth.

In Britain once a year, We as a nation remember our war dead, of all wars that we have fought in, during the month of November. In London on that day, our Queen and Royal Family along with all of the major political parties, we pay respect to those who gave their lives for this country.
I, along with many other people, have remembered those who fell in battle.

Yes the Emperor should visit the Yasakuni War shrine as he is the symbolic head of state, just like our Queen is in this country.

As for the fact that the shrine holds the bodies of war criminals, which country can turn round and say that not one of its soldiers, past or present, has committed an offence under the Geneva Convention?

The shinto shrine is not the place where you bury the bodies, so you cannot find any bodies in Yasukuini.

A bit off-topic
Cremation has been a sort of legal requirement after Meiji except when you have your religious belief like Muslims. There is a graveyard for Muslim people who want burial.

Future topic
I read some Korean/Chinese American activists started tageting Yasukuni Shrine in the US.
The Allied tried to abolish the shrine and build a dog race yard at first, but it was a non Japanese religious person who said no. Some (mainly Chinese and Koreans) claim it must be a symbol of the Japan's militarism, but it is also a symbol of the post-war peace.

Back
Top Bottom