What's new

Do some Japanese companies practise Kendo every morning?

"Lie" is a little harsh, don't you think?

It seems to me more of a misleading description of something that does exist, while "lie" suggests a deliberate falsehood with no basis in fact.

There are Japanese companies with kendo clubs, and some of those kendo clubs surely hold morning practice.

However, I would find it very strange if there was any company where everyone in the company was in the kendo club, and I'm almost certain that there is no company where participation in clubs is mandatory -- it defeats the purpose, honestly -- clubs are supposed to build up team morale, and being forced to participate would have the opposite effect.

In any case, even in companies that do have kendo clubs, that's because the company sponsors employee sports in general and there will also be clubs for other sports.

I've never worked for a Japanese company so I don't really know much beyond their existence, it seems much the same idea as the softball teams and bowling leagues that are common among American companies. It's an optional activity that takes place mostly outside of work hours that the company funds because it's a good way to keep the employees happy and build team spirit.

For a random example I googled up,

They do have a kendo club, but they also have weightlifting, wrestling, track & field, and something called "goal ball", among others. So they might technically be a company that has Kendo practice every day, but it's not as dramatic as all that and would be more accurate to say they are a company with an employee sports program.

As noted by Chris (or a person that is know to be called Chris), Companies many have kendo clubs, among other clubs. However, from a practical standpoint, it is unlikely that they would practice seriously in the morning. The might do some light training but "real training" would be unlikely. Kendo players wear full padded body protection, including a helmet with padding and face shield, none of which is washable. So basically, after kendo practice everyone smells horrible- haha.

I did work for a large Japanese company with a kendo club (that practiced at night and on weekends and attendance was according to how you felt- if you want to go and weren't still working - then go). One of the members (a friend of mine), when transferred to Europe for work coached the small Danish national team to a European championship, so I am quite familiar with that companies kendo club.

At lunch time there was Shorinji Kempo practice but it was just people doing basic punching and Awaza type stuff, most of whom did not play/practice Shorinji Kempo, and were just doing it at lunch for exercise. On the room of some of our buildings, there badmiton course, in the the parking lots "soft volleyball" - nets were pulled out and set up. Our company shut down the company grounds at lunch and no vehicles can go in or out so the in company grounds become playgrounds. Many people do fast walking or jogging at lunch....

The only "organized" morning activity we had was "rajio taisō (ラジオ体操), morning exercises, which everyone "had to do" - as it was in company time - it began after work started and we were paid for this. Eventually, they moved it to "before company time" and it was volunteer with about 80% - my guess - partaking.

The police in Japan require all police officers to study with judo or kendo (to shodan level), and in my prefecture (area), they practice at times as part of training as new trainees, but after that not is not required. But many officers go local judo / kendo dojo to practice.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
"Lie" is a little harsh, don't you think?
You might want to give him a break. He clearly meant うそ which means more like "false" in this case. As you probably know, in Japan people call out lies all the time as it's not a harsh word at all.

He clearly meant うそ which means more like "false" in this case. As you probably know, in Japan people call out lies all the time as it's not a harsh word at all.
I do understand that, but the English phrase "That is a lie" is an unequivocally blunt accusation.
I was trying to gently but clearly explain the meaning of the English usage. If I in turn came across as making blunt accusations, then I can only apologize.

Back
Top Bottom