What's new

Do Japanise people resent Americans for atomic bombing?

There is another question that makes you wonder about the possible answer. And that is 'Did the original delevopers of the Atomic bomb ever look back at what they had created, and wished they never had.'

I do wonder what Robert Oppenheimer would have said if asked my above question.

First of all, I've never watched American Idol, and second of all I'm way past college age!
Funny, you sound exactly like the Chatty Cathy clones that I see at university campuses all over the place. You pull the string on their backs and they recite the same, tired, empty rhetoric and leftist propaganda over and over again. It is almost as if it was preprogrammed into their heads by the likes of Al Franken and Michael Moore.

As for the whole American Idol comment, I was trying to infer that most Americans don't want to fight any wars because we like to sit on our rich fat rear ends in front of TV and are so spoiled rotten by our prosperity that concepts such as sacrifice mean little to them except deprivation from the privileges they believe they are owed. What it is I speak of is an attitude of entitlement. We shouldn't go to war because we are owed everything by our government, and we should never, ever be called upon to defend our rights or the rights of other human beings.

I am not trying to imply that the current war in Iraq is justified, but in all honesty, your broad, sweeping oversimplifications of the political situation betrays a sycophantic adherence to blatantly leftist dogma that is as corrupt and suspect as anything the right wingers would produce. It is absolutely naive of you to simply claim that the current American government is wholly comprised of warmongers, and it also betrays your inability to recognize the vast political divisions extant within the very halls of governance themselves.

It's our government that's dragged us all down and given us the reputation of being war-mongers.
Just like Lincoln dragged us into slaughtering our southern bretheren? Or Roosevelt dragged us into butchering Germans and bombing Japan, right?

These axiomatic blanket statements are so naive and pedantically adherent to partisan sophistry that it amazes me that you can even cogitate in a lucid manner for yourself. And your inability to comprehend how my indictment lies not with the government but with the American populace not only marks you as a minion of radical rhetoric, but indicates a dual victim- and entitlement-mentality that is perfectly groundless. The government did not drag us down, we allowed it to plummet through our own ignorance and individual egocentrism; the recent Supreme Court rulings on eminent domain are a greater threat to Constitutional liberty than anything Bush has done since he was sworn in, yet you and your spoon-fed compatriots are blind to anything that doesn't make CNN headlines.

Now... back to reality.

EmperorHirohito said:
And that is 'Did the original delevopers of the Atomic bomb ever look back at what they had created, and wished they never had.'
Most definitely. Although he wasn't on the Manhattan Project, Einstein's work did provide a foundation that the likes of Oppenheimer built upon. And if Einstein lamented his minor role in the development of nuclear weapons, I imagine that Oppenheimer suffered many sleepless nights.

Funny, you sound exactly like the Chatty Cathy clones that I see at university campuses all over the place ... What it is I speak of is an attitude of entitlement ... you and your spoon-fed compatriots are blind to anything that doesn't make CNN headlines.

Gosh, what a criticism. I've never been accused of being one of the "throng", not being able to cogitate lucidly, being a wind-up doll, etc. You sound very angry. Try to believe me when I say I can understand your viewpoint - but that doesn't mean I won't voice mine. I certainly won't criticize you in return - that's what I think makes up these "wars". I'll only say that you have some good points and I can see where they come from, but that you're the one making broad statements about the American populace and ridiculous accusations about someone you've never met. I think you'd do well to first of all forgive yourself for being an American, and then to try to find some peace in your life. God be with you. 🙂

There are times. . . I will say, that it just really, really appears that posters after me have either not read my heavily insinuated, or relatively informative posts, and just go on as so on. . . or have willfully chosen to ignore them. This has, in my humble opinion, occured a bit once too often--not that it is detrimental to my esteem, and thus I speak out, but simply due to a certain non-productive atmosphere that such creates--I'm not referring to this very thread.

GETTING BACK ON TOPIC. . . (and staying more closely within that range now...hint,hint) I have never sensed any great outstanding presence of mind among the Japanese I have encountered that would lead me to conclude that the Japanese today resent the Americans today (and it always bothers me that 'Japanese' can not be a plural) for what happened in the process of a war once fought.

I also agree that those who worked on the atomic processes and the usage of such in weaponry, may well have regretted it to a larger degree than not, but might have, in secret, admitted to its simply having been due process of the unfolding of the universe--something or another would have come up...and it just happened to have been that, at that time, with those minds behind it.

There is another question that makes you wonder about the possible answer. And that is 'Did the original delevopers of the Atomic bomb ever look back at what they had created, and wished they never had.'
I do wonder what Robert Oppenheimer would have said if asked my above question.

Do you know of Robert Oppenheimer's famous quote, "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds", taken from hindu scripture? I'm quite sure he resented building the bomb to a degree. He probably saw it this way though... someone had to do it, the technology was there, and if he didn't build it right then and there, someone else probably would have. God forbid if it was the enemy that did first.
Videos | Media Gallery

I also want to point out that I have 2 Japanese friends who live in Hiroshima, and they don't hate America for dropping the bomb on Hiroshima. I didn't notice any hate for Americans while I was in Hiroshima at all. I seem to notice a lot of hate for America coming from Europeans for dropping the a-bomb on Japan though.

Back
Top Bottom