What's new

Do Japanese girls like to interact with Gaijins?

JustinIs18

Sempai
30 Apr 2016
I was wondering if Japanese women like to interact with foreigners and want to test out their English, or are they really shy regarding foreigners?

Yes, even unattractive guys who got no play back home and who haven't bothered to learn Japanese often manage to get a girlfriend here. Is that what you're asking?

Yes, even unattractive guys who got no play back home and who haven't bothered to learn Japanese often manage to get a girlfriend here. Is that what you're asking?
I don't live in Japan so I wouldn't be going for a girlfriend because I do not live in Japan sadly (I do wish) I would be on vacation, so I was just wondering if girls would interact with me say at a club since I am a white foreigner

I don't live in Japan so I wouldn't be going for a girlfriend because I do not live in Japan sadly (I do wish) I would be on vacation, so I was just wondering if girls would interact with me say at a club since I am a white foreigner

You would technically be underage to be in a club. Not that I care one way or the other, just passing on information. But you certainly have as much opportunity as you care to create. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Slight correction: you would be underage to drink.
I know, the drinking age is 20 I'm aware, but I am going to go when I am that age, I want to stockpile the money before I go. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." that's a really good quote!

I know, the drinking age is 20 I'm aware, but I am going to go when I am that age, I want to stockpile the money before I go. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." that's a really good quote!

Oh, then you'll love "Faint heart ne'er won fair maiden".

You have time to learn some Japanese before your visit, which wouldn't hurt anything.

Do you have any advice for understanding and speaking Japanese? I found a really cool translator actually ili - Wearable Translator but the thing is I want to understand what the other person is saying

The dude is creepy and chasing the girl running away is just inexcusable. Either their have been some seriously profound achievements in machine translating or there is something slightly less than kosher about about how they made that video. If a company with the resources Google has can only turn out a marginally better-than-nothing translator then I have serious doubts about this start-up doing such a phenomenal job of it. I would want to see independent reviews of it before believing it is 1/10 that good.

You could take a class, if any are available in your area. Many people... probably even most people... study independently using textbooks or online materials.

The dude is creepy and chasing the girl running away is just inexcusable. Either their have been some seriously profound achievements in machine translating or there is something slightly less than kosher about about how they made that video. If a company with the resources Google has can only turn out a marginally better-than-nothing translator then I have serious doubts about this start-up doing such a phenomenal job of it. I would want to see independent reviews of it before believing it is 1/10 that good.

You could take a class, if any are available in your area. Many people... probably even most people... study independently using textbooks or online materials.
Yeah he is creepy, I could never do anything like that. Yeah the launch got really bad reviews and I don't blame them. Thanks for the advice I might have to do that take a class and start doing some research since I am really fascinated with the Japanese culture, it is a very admirable society to me.

Last edited:
If you look around on Google you'll find that there's (of course) already a lot of discussion on this subject. In fact there's a big topic right here on Jref.

If you look around on Google you'll find that there's (of course) already a lot of discussion on this subject. In fact there's a big topic right here on Jref.
There is a difference, I'm going on vacation I'm not looking for a long term relationship in Japan, I'm trying to party and kiss some J girls you know, I don't think that applies to me, maybe it does I don't think so

Being a Caucasian foreigner, i'd say you're all set. Even without being fluent in Japanese, just pick the right spot like Roppongi area establishments in Tokyo, and you'll be interacting with Japanese girls in no time. Kissing is not guaranteed though, but hey, no guts, no glory you know. It's all up to you how to steer an interaction. One thing i'm sure about - you won't regret your vacation regardless of whether you achieve your ultimate goal whatever it be. In a metropolis like Tokyo you won't (generally )be denied interaction on a basis of being a foreigner, especially in certain districts where foreigners are expected to solicit interaction.

Yo
I was wondering if Japanese women like to interact with foreigners and want to test out their English, or are they really shy regarding foreigners?

There is no one size fits all answer here. There are many types of Japanese girls, and there are many types of foreigners. I'd say: there is something for everyone. You'll find smooth talking guys, but that only works if that girl wants to be smooth talked to. You'll also find girls that are only interested in you once they get a sense of seriousness from you. Then there are girls that are not interested in you, period.

One thing: the myth that everyone can get a girl is certainly not true. I've lived in dormitories with a couple of creeps that, despite their efforts, could not find a single girl interested in them. You still need to be decent enough, and Japanese women are not drooling when a foreigners walks by. Maybe 10 to 20 years ago, but not anymore at least.

Since you said girls specifically, and based on your avatar, Igather it's not about language exchange ;)

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate you taking the time to reply it means a lot to me. I hope you have a good day, stay humble :) "Since you said girls specifically, and based on your avatar, Igather it's not about language exchange ;)" Real recognize real my friend ;)

If you care for a girl's viewpoint...

If you go to a club or bar in Japan with the intention of "kissing" (a very innocent way of putting it lol), it's true a lot of the girls there will have exactly the same intention. I certainly knew a few Japanese girls who were especially keen on white men.

But do remember some Japanese girls, especially perhaps girls who can't speak English that well, will not know how to refuse you outright, because directly telling someone "no" is rarely done in Japan. (And of course because of various other reasons that are true for all countries.)

I have seen so many gaijin men persisting with a Japanese girl when it's obvious she's being made really uncomfortable and wants to leave but just doesn't know how to do it politely. Possibly the men are labouring under the belief that all Japanese girls want foreign guys no matter what, or possibly they just don't know what "maaa... chotto..." means, I don't know. So just bear that in mind and don't be that guy.

Otherwise I really suggest learning some Japanese before you go. A little effort makes all the difference.

If you go to a club or bar in Japan with the intention of "kissing" (a very innocent way of putting it lol), it's true a lot of the girls there will have exactly the same intention. I certainly knew a few Japanese girls who were especially keen on white men.

But do remember some Japanese girls, especially perhaps girls who can't speak English that well, will not know how to refuse you outright, because directly telling someone "no" is rarely done in Japan. (And of course because of various other reasons that are true for all countries.)

I have seen so many gaijin men persisting with a Japanese girl when it's obvious she's being made really uncomfortable and wants to leave but just doesn't know how to do it politely. Possibly the men are labouring under the belief that all Japanese girls want foreign guys no matter what, or possibly they just don't know what "maaa... chotto..." means, I don't know. So just bear that in mind and don't be that guy.

Otherwise I really suggest learning some Japanese before you go. A little effort makes all the difference.
I do care about a girls standpoint, I care about any standpoint! Thank you for your time, I appreciate your input. Yeah I'm going to well prepare myself when I go and learn Japanese long before I go (What I have planned) so they can reject me in their native tongue. Don't worry I won't be or become one of those gaijin guys, I find it really cringy when guys do that persist when there is no mutual connection so I could never do that. Stay humble :) EDIT: I do really mean kissing, I'm not going to Japan with more intentions then that I don't set my bar that high. Also I'm going there to site see and explore, and expand my horizon and go outside my comfort zone.

I do care about a girls standpoint, I care about any standpoint! Thank you for your time, I appreciate your input. Yeah I'm going to well prepare myself when I go and learn Japanese long before I go (What I have planned) so they can reject me in their native tongue. Don't worry I won't be or become one of those gaijin guys, I find it really cringy when guys do that persist when there is no mutual connection so I could never do that. Stay humble :) EDIT: I do really mean kissing, I'm not going to Japan with more intentions then that I don't set my bar that high. Also I'm going there to site see and explore, and expand my horizon and go outside my comfort zone.

If the reason you're asking is because you find Japanese women especially attractive, fair enough and good luck to you. But if your main aim is to explore/expand your horizons, I think you could do it in better ways than hanging out in bars and hitting on Japanese women. For example, doing a homestay or living in a sharehouse with Japanese people would allow you to make friends who can cook you traditional food, take you to cultural events you would have missed out on etc. You can hit on people in any bar in any country, and probably with more success in your native language - I don't think it's that special an experience unless you find Japanese people particularly attractive (at this point perhaps I should admit that I do... but being a foreign woman in Japan is a whole different experience).

Last edited:

If the reason you're asking is because you find Japanese women especially attractive, fair enough and good luck to you. But if your main aim is to explore/expand your horizons, I think you could do it in better ways than hanging out in bars and hitting on Japanese women. For example, doing a homestay or living in a sharehouse with Japanese people would allow you to make friends who can cook you traditional food, take you to cultural events you would have missed out on etc. You can hit on people in any bar in any country, and probably with more success in your native language - I don't think it's that special an experience unless you find Japanese people particularly attractive (at this point perhaps I should admit that I do... but being a foreign woman in Japan is a whole different experience).[/QUOTE Who doesn't find Japanese people attractive, they're beauties! This post is just to get more knowledge on the subject and get more opinions, the main reason I want to go to Japan is to site see and be a tourist not to hit on some J girls in a club, lets be honest though who doesn't want to party! Imagine partying with the opposite gender in some foreign country, that's the special part about it, everyone is different to me, that's just appealing its something new!

Back
Top Bottom