What's new

Do gaijin look good in a "Kimono"?

Do gaijin look good in a "Kimono"?

• yes.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • no.

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The drunker I get the better they look.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I'd really like to see a sheep in a "Kimono".

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • some Westerners look good, others not

Votes: 61 56.5%

• Total voters

Jack

後輩
12 Jun 2004
Now I don't mean to offend any "gaijin" out there with this question....
I don't know about all you other gaijins out there but in my eyes, -as good as all you gaijin look in a "kimono"- it just doesn't look right on our larger frame.......... No I don't mean "fat".... I mean, taller, larger breasts(on average), more pronounced butts(on average), rounder eyes, bigger feet, and more free mannerisms.....

What do you guys/gals out there think??????

Please vote. And if you vote and have a free moment could you please share with us why you voted the way you did...

By Gaijin, do you mean those of the Caucasian persuasion? I'm technically a gaijin (American of Korean descent), and have been told that I look pretty good wearing one. :p

i believe the term "gaijin" is a japanese term, meaning foreigner if im not mistaken.

I voted for the sheep. I think little lambies would look cute as pie in iddy biddy kimonos!
I havent worn a kimono for years... since about the time when I had barely a bust, or but. My eyes are large, but I dont think they're that round... there was a time that my hair was long, straight and dark (as it is now, but hasnt been for many a year).
I was complimented at this time, but then I wasnt in Japan. Maybe I would have been ridiculed had I been in Japan? Who knows.
When I get skinnier, and lose my boobs I will go to Japan and try it out. Might pass on next months trip there though.
One traditional set of clothing is enough for next month. I have to squeeze myself into a Hanbok (yeah yeah I know they are the size of a tent, but you still have to tie it up around your bust).

I voted 'no' as I don't think western people look good in a kimono.It would be the same as an asian person wearing lederhosen -__-; western people don't have that 'KAWAII' factor that asian girls have (mostly Japanese,Chinese girls seem to lack that skill also...at least I saw very little in China)

I think your 5th choice is misleading, because not all gaijin are westerners. That being said, it's the one I chose anyway.

I voted for the "5th amendment" haha. A bit off-topic here, but they say that you can judge the marital status of the one who wears the kimono based on the width of the sleeves. Longer means you're single while a shorter, much conservative width means you're married.

Let me know...hahahaha.

Mike_Akemi_2a.jpg

im unsure about this one,
this is question for the great FRANK, he surely knows, if not we are doomed.

Jeez Rudel... I gotta do that photo soon. I was just about coming to terms with it and now you've freaked me out again ;-) I was gonna go for a darker color though.

hehehe. I think we chose white because of my skin complexion. I have my mother's skin. I can't tan worth a crap. All I get are freckles and a burnt skin.

It was really fun getting into one though! There is so much padding and time taken, to put everything on.

It's worth the experience.

I think anyone can look good in a Kimono. It's all how you present yourself in it. :)

-Rudel- said:
hehehe. I think we chose white because of my skin complexion. I have my mother's skin. I can't tan worth a crap. All I get are freckles and a burnt skin.

I'm not so dark myself so I'll bear that in mind. Actually I'm more concerned about the combination of myself and my fiancee. She goes pretty dark in summer (not deliberately - she just tans very easily). I often look ghostlike in comparison when we're photographed together. I've been thinking about jumping on the tanning bed for a couple of sessions just to balance us a little.

Your wife looks lovely by the way.

I'm kind of like Rock on this one, but for different reasons. As far as women are concerned, I think Westerners are usually too curvy to look good in a kimono. In kimono, you're supposed to have a straight figure, and I just don't think westerners can pull that off, even when bound up like that. I also wouldn't say the natives are more "kawaii". Maybe they are "kawaii", where I'd describe Westerners as "pretty, not cute". Besides, I don't think "kawaii" goes with kimono anyway? I have always thought of kimono wearers supposedly trying to give the effect of gracefulness and elegance. Not cuteness. That's just me, I guess... :p

Like Rudel says, "you be the judge."

Not the best picture BTW.

Last edited:
I decided not to respond to this thread at first, as I was undecided. After some time spent considering the different aspects of wearing kimono, I would say that I do not believe a Westerner (by complexion, build, and facial features) can look good in a kimono. Man or woman. Just like any other item of clothing, some people are better suited to them than others - there's no guarantee that every Asian, or more specifically every Japanese person, looks good in a kimono.

While a range of colours and designs are available, I simply cannot visualise a Westerner - as defined above - looking good in a kimono. Firstly, their complexion is often too pale - even with a white kimono and especially those of darker colours. Then their chest is often of greater depth (?) than the average Asian person, which affects the proportions of the kimono and thus the overall aesthetics. And finally, facial features. The facial characteristics of Westerners just don't seem to blend well with kimono, although a trim beard often appears to help - most likely because it reduces the amount of pale flesh exposed.

I'm a strong believer in doing what one wants to do, but at the same time, if you know something *really* doesn't suit you, don't you think you should try to avoid wearing it? I have yet to see a Westerner who truly suits kimono and have reached these conclusions as a result, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

:D

i dont care much about the word gaijin anymore i am not offended... i was wearing a Yukata.. i walked on the station and heard a bit to loud * i knew it was about me, she looked in my face* KAKOII * cool*, and my girl said i looked kakoii.. she never ever say that haha....ill post a photo soon 🙂

I think some "petite" dark haired western ladies look OK.

My wife is 4'-11" tall - I think she would look rather nice in a Kimono ...

....around 1968 ...

Aren't I rotten ?

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停? :homer:

Back
Top Bottom