What's new

Diru interviews

16 Dec 2005
Hi guys. I was looking on the internet today for some good Dir en grey interviews and I found a few but not really very many. I mean, it was hard for me to find them. So I thought maybe we could post links in here for good Dir en grey interviews or even other good or funny j rock interviews, hopefully translated into English.

Okay, thanks, and sorry if a thread like this has already been started, I'm new and not exactly the brightest. Errr, yeah. hehe 😌

Welcome to the forum grenadeglovegirl !!! :p yeah if you check on www.youtube.com there should be many interview videos. I will upload some tomorrow if I have any. 😌 see ya!!

do you mean 'read' interviews or 'watch' interviews? i know i saved a few pages of an interview diru did with some american mag...they spoke to all of them but totchi ^^;; so i wasn't happy. they talked about some interesting things though...if i remember, kaokao said that he liked making his costumes really complicated and detailed to give the cos players a hard time ^^.

Yeah, bot are fine. I meant the ones you read but I also like the ones you watch. I think I've seen almost everything on youtube. lol. But I can never find any good ones to read. But thanks to both of you. hehe :)

toujin said:
kaokao said that he liked making his costumes really complicated and detailed to give the cos players a hard time ^^.

:eek: damn him. ehh most of the nice jrock costumes are hard to make tho :(

edit: can you send the link to it, i just looked on youtube and couldnt find it

I found some interviews on batsu and some on internet 🌹

The day that followed their concert in the Olympia, Orient-Extrême met with Die and Toshiya in the hotel in Paris. The interview started after "konnichiwas".

Orient-Extrême: Let's start talking about yesterday evening's live. What did you think of the Parisian audience?
Toshiya: I was really impressed by the hysteria that took over the hall before our performance. We had a photoshoot backstage and we could hear the fans screaming our names. It was impressive.
Die: On stage, I felt the power of the fans. I felt their energy. It energized us. We drew power from the energy that our fans passed to us.
Orient-Extrême: Especially in child Prey, the audience went wild. (no idea what déchainé means, I'm guessing -_-Wink
Die and Toshiya: Yes (laughter)
Orient-Extrême: Who are the more hysterical? The Japanese, the Chinese, the German or the French?
Die and Toshiya laugh again.
Die: Girls are similiar everywhere.
Orient-Extrême: Did you see any pretty girls yesterday evening?
General insane laughter (?)
Die: Because of the lightning, the audience looked really dark (?). So, unfortunately, I couldn't see the faces well enough, but there must have been lots of pretty girls.
Orient-Extrême: Did the fans give you something, like letters, for instance?
Die: Yes, we received gifts from the fans last night, there might be letters too, but for the moment, we don't have enough time to check and read them. At any rate, we really felt the fans wanted us to come back.
Orient-Extrême: Will there be a live DVD of your European tour?
Die: At the moment, nothing has been decided, it's still too early (to say), we'll think about it.
Orient-Extrême: Who designed the tour goods for the European tour?
Die: We have our own designer. When we want to design something like a T-shirt, a wristband..., we go to him and talk about it. In the European tour, we have the same tour goods we had in Japan, but the T-shirts are slightly different this time, some of the colors are different.
Orient-Extrême: You chose Eths yourselves as an opening act. Did you see their performance and what did you think of it?
Die: We heard them from backstage and we really liked them, it really fired me up (made this up, sorry. I don't know what "m'a chauffé" means) because they're so powerful, it was really great. Usually there's no opening act at our concerts and we are impatient and anxious to see what's going to happen. It was something new and really good. It was so powerful, especially the singer...
Orient-Extrême: Candice...
Die: Yes, before the show she was... "normal", calm, but onstage she transformed, I was open-mouthed until it ended.
Orient-Extrême: Yesterday, like in Germany, you were less explosive during some songs of Withering to Death. Why is that?
Toshiya thinks for a moment...
Toshiya: From the start, we don't try to be calmer or more excited in certain songs. We try to be as dynamic as possible. Having calmer songs, it's more obvious in the heavier ones.
Orient-Extrême: It's a welcome contrast.
Toshiya: Definitely. At the same time, we really want to express our emotions and feeling, as accurately as possible. The music and the show we create really come from the heart.
Orient-Extrême: Did rubbing elbows and playing with big European bands in Germany give you new ideas?
Toshiya: We're honored to have seen chosen to play in Rock im Park and Rock am Ring and we're very happy to have taken part in these festivals. It was a really possitive experience for us. We could rub elbows a lot with the bands but getting ideas or influences wasn't what drew us at first. (hm, I ruined the whole sentence, but I think he means that they didn't go there with the purpose of meeting other bands or gettings ideas from their music). However, in this enviroment, we can be much more creative and we get more motivated to create.
Die: Maybe it will influence us unconsciously. At the moment, we can't tell yet and I don't know how it will manifest.
Orient-Extrême: What do your mothers think of your trade and of your works.
Die, Toshiya and the staff burst into laughter.
Die: A long time ago, it was a problem because my mother wasn't very happy with it. It didn't last long because she quickly understood that not many people are able to do this kind of job. Finally our parents took it in a really positive way. They've gone to our concerts in big cities like Tokyo and Osaka. The encouraged us and really liked it.
Toshiya: My parent reacted like Die's. They supported me. However my parents, especially my mother, took care of me (?) and paid attention to the side effects of success. They watched my behaviour: to be famous and successful can be dangerous.
Orient-Extrême: Your music is increasingly violent, tortured and experimental, are you going to follow this path or are you going to explore another direction in the next album (expected in 2006).
Toshiya: Nobody knows what the future will bring, but at the same time we are very satisfied with out style, with our experimental side. We want to keep renewing ourselves. The most important thing is to be experimental in order to create new things. Nobody knows what's going to happen, only time will tell.
Orient-Extrême: Gauze and Macabre are two albums very appreciated by your European fans. Why do you disavow this period of your career?
Die: Those are two old albums that were experimental in their own way, but... with an increase in the demand for a visual show (?), it was more image-oriented. There was a pop touch to the music and the imagery... it was "strongly visual". Back then, the work on the costumes and the make-up was really important, the fans liked that, so there was certainly a pop side to the songs. But we have changed and that's the reason why we've spent this time (de côté? I'm stuck here.) This nostalgia is present everywhere, in Japan too. But that's in the past.
Orient-Extrême: So, you don't consider yourselves a visual kei (visual rock) band anymore?
Die: Hehe. Being a visual kei band is not our goal. If somebody wants to label us as a visual kei band is not a problem and if they want to consider us as an ex-visu band it's fine too. We don't care what others think about it.
Orient-Extrême: Do you plan to invite someday an artist or group to join you at a concert or in the recording of an album?
Toshiya: For now, the answer would be 99% "no". We really enjoy playing just us five. We don't need to bring somebody from outside.
Orient-Extrême: Would you add new instruments to your compositions (keyboards, violin, symphony orchestra...), one or more female voices? (I hate when journalists try to tell them what to do >_<)
Die: That kind of things could be added some day, it's completely possible. Though, currently it's not in our plans. The day we create songs for which an orchestral accompaniment would be appropriate, it could be done.
Orient-Extrême: will you resort to an orchestra only in the case of need?
Die: Yes, we won't compose just to use such orchestra, we'll use an orchestra in the chorus if it fits our needs in future creations. Currently, the band feels good with its five members.
Orient-Extrême: Who creates the visual concepts of the pvs?
Toshiya: We bring our own ideas but a director (of something) reinterprets visually what we think and what we imagine. We discuss it regularly and then we address the project together.
Orient-Extrême: Do you find it ridiculous or flattering when the media compares you to Marilyn Manson?
Toshiya smiles and laughs.
Die: The media and the fans can think whatever they want, we don't care who you compare us to. Honestly, we're not interested in Marilyn Manson's music and we're not influenced by his work.
Orient-Extrême: Did received translations of the articles that the French press wrote about you?
Toshiya: Not really, it depends on the magazine and on the situation. When we have the possibily to find somebody who speaks french, we ask them to translate. But it's very hard to find the right person at the right time.
Orient-Extrême: What do you think of the French and German journalists and the questions they have asked you?
A big smile appears in the faces of both artists, then Toshiya bursts into laughter.
Die: People is the same everywhere, there's people who know each other and then... (-_-?)
Toshiya: We meet professional people, really concerned about the music and others who don't care. It's similar everywhere. In Japan, we also have journalists who know nothing about music.
Orient-Extrême: If there were a contest between Japanese musicians and artists, who would give the stupidest answer?
Die: "It's just communication" (he really said that in english)
General bursts of laughter
Die: If you want wisecracks (what?), you have enough with us. In fact, it depends on the people. With the Japanese, during interviews, there lots of "private jokes" (again in english), it's a little game: they wisecrack us, we wisecrack them. (couldn't find another word for that XD).
Orient-Extrême: In Europe, you're the most popular japanese metal band along with Moi Dix Mois, what do you think of Mana?
Suddently Die looks serious...
Die: "No commento"
His answer causes a mini-insane laughter which he quickly holds.
Toshiya: There's all sorts of musicians in the world...
Orient-Extrême: In real life, what are your characters?
Die: I am a funny guy (laughs)
Die gets serious again shortly, looks at Toshiya and both burst into laughter
Toshiya: I think I'm a really normal person.
Orient-Extrême: Do you believe in god? What can you say about Shintoism?
Die: I believe in some kind of inner god in me. I don't follow any particular religion.
Orient-Extrême: Did you go to visit Paris since your arrival?
Die: We haven't had time to stroll yet. Yesterday it was the concert, today the interviews... maybe we leave this evening. We saw some interesting things while riding the car, like the buildings like look oddly like our japanese love hotels...
Orient-Extrême: What are your personal projects? For your next summer holidays, for instance?
Die: I'm mad about American tv series in DVD. I have entire series to watch piling up at home. I'll spend my days in front of the tv watching them. Right now I'm fan of Tru Calling (note: the story of a young woman who discovers she can go back 24 hours in order to prevent the death of those who call for her help?. I watches the 10 first episodes before we left, when we return I'll watch episodes 11, 12 and 13.
Toshiya: I've joined a girlsband so soon I must make some little aesthetic improvements, I have to shave... that kind of thins...
(laughs)
Orient-Extrême: Thank you for this interview.
Die, Toshiya and the staff: Thank you very much.

Dir en grey interview by Eric Oudelet (Orient-Extrême), July 25 2005

Orient-Extrême: Let's start speaking of the live of last night. How did you like the Parisian public?
Toshiya: I have been impressed very by hysteria that seized the room. Before our concert we had a photo session behind the stage and one could hear fans shouting our names. It was impressive.
Die: On stage I felt the power of fans. I felt their energy. It galvanized us. We drew our strength in the energy transmitted by our fans.

Orient-Extrême: At the time of CHILD PREY the public was unleashed in particular.
Die and Toshiya: Yes. (laughters)

Orient-Extrême: Who was most hysterical? The Japanese, the Chinese, the German or the French?
(Die and Toshiya laugh again.)
Die: The girls are similar all over the world.

Orient-Extrême: Did you mark some cute girls last night?
(General laughter)
Die: Because of the lighting and of the resulting counter-day, the public appeared us too dark. Therefore I unfortunately wasn't able to see faces well, but it had to have a lot of cute girls there.

Orient-Extrême: Do fans offer you something, of letters maybe?
Die: Yes, we received fan gifts last night. Maybe there were also letters but, at present time, we didn't have enough time to occupy ourselves or it, to verify and possibly to read these letters. Anyway, one felt indeed that fans wanted that one comes back. [wanted them to return? couldn't translate that adequately]

Orient-Extrême: Will there be a live DVD of your European tour?
Die: By now, nothing is decided, it is too early, we are going to think.

Orient-Extrême: Who conceived thes goods of the European tour?
Die: We have our own designer. When one wants to create something as a T-shirt, a wristband... One made calls to him and discusses some. For this European tour we propose the same goodies that to Japan, but the T-shirts has different légérements [?] this time, with distinct colors.

Orient-Extrême: You have yourself chosen Eths to assure the first part of your concert. Were you able to hear them yesterday and what do you did think of their presentation?
Die: We heard Eths behind the stage and indeed liked it, that heated me well because they are so powerful, it was indeed brilliant. In general, we don't have first part at our concerts and one was impatient and worried to see that that it was going to give. It was again something and finally indeed a good thing. It was so strong and powerful, in particular the singer...

Orient-Extrême: Candice...
Die: Yes, before the spectacle she was... "normal", calm, but on the stage she changed, I follow some remained dumbstruck.

Orient-Extrême: Yesterday, as in Germany, you were less exploding during the interpretation of pieces of Withering to death, how does you make it?
(Toshiya thinks for a moment)
Toshiya: Basically, we didn't try to be quietter or more excited on certain songs. Globally, we try to be the most dynamic possible. With the quietter pieces the heavier songs appear being more.

Orient-Extrême: It is therefore a welcome contrast.
Toshiya: Completely. On the same time, we wanted to express our emotions, our sensations, the most faithfully possible. The music and the spectacle created really left our heart. [?]

Orient-Extrême: To coast and to see to play big European groups in Germany, did it give you of new ideas?
Toshiya: We are honored of have been chosen for Rock am Ring and Rock im Park and happy to have participated in these festivals. That was a very positive experience for us. One could coast a lot of groups but we didn't pull some at first sight of idea or particular influence. In this ambiance, however, we can be more creative, very more excited and motivated in our creative
gait.
Die: Maybe that will influence us unconsciously. At present time, we are not able to bring in ourselves account of it, and I don't know what manner it will appear.

Orient-Extrême: What do your mothers think of your profession and your creation?
(Die, Toshiya and the staff of framing explode to laugh.)
Die: A long time ago, that posed problem because my mother was not very happy. Is didn't last because she understood quickly that few people have the luck to be able to make this kind of work. Our parents finally took that in a very positive way. They came to see us for our concerts organized in the big cities like Tokyo and Osaka. They encouraged us and indeed liked.
Toshiya: My parents didn't react like Die's, they supported me and shouldered. However, my parents, in particular my mother, watched over me and made attention to effects secondarieses of the success. They were heedful in relation to my behavior: to reach the celebrity and success can be dangerous.

Orient-Extrême: Your music is more and more violent, tortured and experimental, are you going to continue in this way or are you going to explore another direction for the next album (note from O-E: planned for 2006)?
Toshiya: No one knows what will occur in the future but, at the same time, we are very satisfied with our style, on our experimental side. We want to constantly renew. The most important thing on being experimental is to create new things. No one knows what is going to come, only the time will bring the answer.

Orient-Extrême: GAUZE and MACABRE are always two albums very appreciated by your European fans. Why this period of your career to disown?
Die: These 2 old albums were experimental to their way, but... with a result more of the order of the visual show. It functioned a lot on the image. There was a pop side in this music and in the imagery... It was "strogly visual" [Die said that in English!]. Work on costumes and the makeup was then very important, fans liked that, as well as the pop side of songs, certainly.
But we changed and it is the reason for which we put this period aside. This nostalgia is present everywhere, even in Japan. But it is part of the past.

Orient-Extrême: Therefore, you don't consider yourselves a Visual Kei (Visual Rock) group anymore?
Die: Hehe. A group of Visual Kei is not our goal. If someone wants to see us like as a group of Visual Kei, this is not a problem. If one wants to consider us like an ex-group of Visu, that's fine. One puts himself to know what think or say people on this subject.

Orient-Extrême: Do you think one day to invite an artist or a group in guest to your sides during a live or for the registration of an album?
Toshiya: For the moment, the answer would be 99% "no". We really enjoy to play in five. Therefore it doesn't require bring other people from outside.

Orient-Extrême: Would you add new instruments to your compositions (keyboard, acoustic guitars, symphonic orchestra...), or several feminine voices?
Die: This kind of things could arrive one day, it is quite foreseeable. We don't compose currently in this goal. The day where we will create new songs that would suit an orchestral accompaniment, it could be made.

Orient-Extrême: Will you have recourse therefore to an orchestra that in case of necessity?
Die: Yes, we won't compose in the simple goal to use such an orchestra, we will use an orchestra or choirs if it corresponds to our needs in our future creations. Currently, the group feels fine with 5 members.

Orient-Extrême: Who creates the visual concepts of clips?
Toshiya: We bring our personal ideas but a director of video creation re-interprets visually what we think and and things that we imagine. We discusses some regularly, then we concretize the project together.

Orient-Extrême: Do you find ridiculous or flattering that some media compares you to Marylin Manson?
(Toshiya smiles and sneers)
Toshiya: The media and the fans can think what they want, it doesn't interest to us to know what they can compare us with. To be honest, we [I?] are/am not interested in the music of Marylin Manson and therefore we/I are/am not inspired by his work.

Orient-Extrême: Did anyone translate to you the articles that the French press wrote about you?
Toshiya: Not really, it depends on the magazines and the situation. When we have the possibility of rencotrer someone that speaks French, we ask him to translate. To have the good person at the good moment, it is very difficult.

Orient-Extrême: What do you think of the French and German journalists and questions that they put you do you think?
(A large to smile draws itself on the face of the two artists, then Toshiya laughs a lot)
Die: People are almost the same everywhere. There are people that know themselves of it and then...
Toshiya: One finds some professional people very concerned by music and others that don't have anything of it to make. It is everywhere similar. In Japan we also have journalists that don't know anything about music.

Orient-Extrême: Is there a contest between musicians and Japanese artists to the one that will answer the thickest silliness in interview?
Die: "It's just communication" [in English again!]
(Bursts to laugh in general)
Die: If you want valves [??? - original word was "vannes"], to speak to us is sufficient. In fact, it depends on the people. With the Japanese, during interviews, there are a lot of privates jokeses. It is a small game: they winnow us, we winnow them.

Orient-Extrême: In Europe, you are the most popular Japanese metal group with Moi dix Mois, what do you think of them and of Mana?
(Die takes a serious air suddenly...)
Die: "No commento"
(The retort triggers a mini mad - laughter quickly content.) [who's that? translator?]
Toshiya: There are all ways of musicians in this world...

Orient-Extrême: Actually, what are your characters?
Die: I am a guy laughing (laughters)
(Die becomes again briefly serious, look at Toshiya and both explode to laugh.)
Toshiya: I think I'm a really normal person.

Orient-Extrême: Do you believe in God? What is your report with the Shintoism?
Die: I believe in a way of interior god, present in me. I don't have a particular religion.

Orient-Extrême: Did you leave to visit Paris since your arrival?
Die: We didn't have the time to go for a walk. Yesterday, it was the concert, today interviews... Maybe tonight, we will go out. We saw some interesting things by car at the time of our transportation, as buildings looking strangely like our Japanese love hotels... [is that what I think it is? a motel]

Orient-Extrême: What are your personal projects? For your next vacations of summer for example?
Die: I am crazy for the American television sets in DVD. I have full sets to see that cram at home. I spend my days before the television looking at them. At the moment I am fan of Tru Calling (O-E note: the history of a girl that discovers herself the power to carry up 24 hours in the time in order to prevent the death of those that calls her to help). I watched the first 10 episodes before leaving, when going back I am going to get settled before episodes 11, 12 and 13.
Toshiya: I have been hired then in a girlsband I must shortly make me some small bodily aesthetic retouchings, to make depilate me... this kind of things...
(laughters)

Orient-Extrême: Thank you for this interview.
Die, Toshiya and the rest of staff: Thank you very much.

JAPAN VIBES
(July - August 2004)
French magazine released in April 2004

In this beautiful April's day, we're having "rendez-vous" in HIROSHIMA (at 4 o'clock from shinkansen of TOKYO) with the Dir en grey's group who give us with joy a few minutes of exclusive interview on they live tour. It's 4h30 a.m in Tokyo, so we prepare ourselves with happiness, let's go to the group's hotel in the Hiroshima's heart (of the town). We met the manager, Mr. Atsushi Inoue, a really kind man (he is looking at the group since the beginning so he know them really well). After he calm us a little, the group come with us in the hotel bar. So we started to ask for drink before the interview....

+ You are the most famous j rock band outside of Japan, did you know that?
Die: we receive many mails but we don't know exactly how many... there's many from Asia and mainly Germany.

+ In english? Do you understand english?
Dir en grey: a little *laugh*
Kyo: Die understand english well

+ Shall we start from the beginning... how everything started?
Shinya: we all met in Osaka, first without Toshiya and before he came in the group.

+ All right! How you decided about the name?
Dir en grey: *laugh*
Toshiya: we don't remember. The group's name don't have any meaning. We like it because we enjoy the sound of it

+ Why did you start with visual and not with other music style?
Die: I think we started it naturally

+ And now you always do visual?
Die: this doesn't change but the expression mode are different. That's all.

+ Explain us your "major" passage, it was really quick don't you think so?
Kaoru: we haven't actually noticed, it was so fast. We just keep on playing.

+ Where you got and inspiration?
Kyo: movies, and particularly horror films
Shinya: the daily life
Kaoru: the life in genera, all information I receive and people I meet really help and inspire me
Die: the same as Kaoru *laugh*
Toshiya: Each day of life and also feelings from inside.

+ Each of your albums have different style, "ambience". Till when this will last?
Kaoru: we don't really change our style, we just wanted to try new things.

+ Now what is your style? Neo-metal isn't it?
Kaoru: we will accept all the names you give us.

+ Few words to european so they would like to discover your music
Kaoru: our biggest themes are human pain, physics and psychology. We steal it, recreate it on stage and in hearts of audience.

+ Do you have songs you like more than others?
Die: we like all of them that's why we still playing together.

+ What will be the band in few years?
Die: I can' tell about the future, but what is sure is that we still do what we want to do

+ Do you want to bring your music to other countries?
Kaoru: of course! *laugh*

+ Is there a country where you would prefer to play?
Kaoru: anywhere, if you ask us to come, we'll come with joy

+ Have you ever been in France?
Dir en grey: no, and neither in Europe

+ And the language?
Dir en grey: we've already done a live tour in Asia, so it would be OK, we used to it now *laugh*

+ Some words for your French fans?
Kyo: I'll give my best
Shinya: when we come to Europe, be there!
Kaoru: we might come in near future, wait for us strongly!!!
Die: I'm sure to give you a special experience you've never seen before! So come to see this!!!
Toshiya: yoroshiku!!!

This one is from German magazine Daisuki (September 2005)

There are no words for this concert. At the end of May Dir en grey had their first concert outside Asia to an audience in the Columbia Hall in Berlin. Over 250 J-rock fans couldn't make it, whilst another 3000 sweated it out in the sold-out Hall. Reason enough to bring you these five guys and their music. 3 days after the concert: in an Ostberlin hotel sit the 5, no makeup, no costumes. Although they'd rather be out in the sun playing football, the bandmembers (more or less) readily give information.

- You began Dir en grey in 1997. How would you describe the path from then to now?
Die: There's been mountains and valleys.

- Was it hard to find the right path? Or was it easy to find?
Shinya: Both. In the beginning we started at top speed with 120% energy, but when we came to a stop the question was: "was that so right?". That could be done the whole time. But the only answer for this question is to look to the future - thus we continued.

- You say as a band it is your task to express feelings of sorrow and pain. Are these feelings the same as when you created them?
Toshiya: When you climb to the top you get a better view of things. You can see more and feel more, and that way the pain doesn't increase (P - i think). Inside the feelings remain, but the How and Why have changed.

- Is it a daily, normal thing in Japan to express your pain and sorrow - or is that not usual?
Kaoru: There's not many bands the way we are. When you see more general things, films and TV too, it's like: there are people who like sad films and who can identify better with them. It is easier to get in to the story, and that's enjoyable somehow. This attitude must already be somewhat Japanese, and at the same time, somehow, it is also completely normal (P - ?)

- How important is your image, your bright costumes, style, the videos etc?
Kaoru: It's hard to say, you can't explain such a thing. We can't say exactly what's important, but it *is* important. All the visuals, costumes, videos etc... are based on our individual unique ideas. The visual elements are there to support and carry the music.

- When you played in the Columbia Hall, you were in pretty normal clothing.
Toshiya: In the course of the years we've changed the way we express ourselves, our manner. Earlier it was necessary to wear striking costumes in order to express exactly what we wanted. Now we can express a great volume through the music.

- (something to do with fans copying their costumes) (P - sorry -.-)
Kyo: To these fans we can only say: we don't agree, but we condemn it just as little. Strictly speaking it doesn't matter to us what the fans are wearing, what costumes they have. We want them to act how *they* want to act (P - ?). But if they must imitate us, then they should imitate us perfectly.

- What do you say when many fans also imitate the destructive side of the band?
Kyo: I've never said that they have to kill or hurt. What I do onstage is only expressing the things *I* feel. The fans must decide for themselves how they feel and how they want to express it.

(I'm really sorry but I really can't handle this bit that Die answers -.- *useless*)

- Is there a different feeling when you play to a public that probably does not understand a large part of your lyrics/songs?
Kyo: Even if you can't understand the language you can pull feeling from the music. That's more important than understanding the lyrics. However, in our new CD there's an English translation in the booklet, so a few fans at least know what we want to express. The majority sang along!

- For lots of bands it's a dream, to someday be "big in Japan". Would you like to be "big in Europe"?
Kaoru: Big and successful isn't so important. What is is to always do what we want to do.
Kyo: When we can keep our convictions and still have success, (P - something to do with a crowd?), success is totally insignificant under our convictions.

- Are you happy/lucky, here and now?
Kaoru: Perhaps we don't look lucky, or the music isn't too effective, but I see it like this: so long as I can go on making this music, I am happy.

- Thank you for this interview!

Kyo talking about his ear injury:

Interviewer: What about your illness at this time? And how do you feel when this has happened to the organ in your... ear and you never expected it before?

Kyo: I must go to be cured immediately. Because the hearing in my ear's nerve couldn't detect some sound waves clearly. I can't understand the primary cause, [where did it come from!], and the way to cure this illness isn't clear to me as well. So I've not analyzed my hormones, another cause, yet. Hence I was given a temporary treatment and it's not the real treatment that could reach into the real cause. The problem is that my tympanum can't receive some sound waves, so it caused me to be unable to listen as clearly as before. That meant I can't get mere temporary treatment and then recover, can I? Seems my condition hasn't changed yet, such as when I'm talking on the phone, my left and right ear can't hear in the same level.

Interviewer:- Don't you know the cause of the tympanum rupture that could bring this about?

Kyo: I really don't know the cause that could bring about this illness, actually. But the doctor told me [either you get cured or not, it's just 50% 50% chance of recovery]. For this condition, if you are careless and let it pass for a week and don't get any treat immediately, it can't be healed completely. But if you went to see the doctor around my age, when I went to see the doctor, the doctor told me [my ability in hearing is like a 70-80 year-old-guy.] As I could hear the sound like it comes from so far away. I let it happen for a week, didn't go to see the doctor immediately, so the result was this. The sound that I could hear would be very low tone and soft. It's pretty difficult for me to distinguish the detail of the sounds. If that guy let this condition go to fully week then just became aware, [what's happening to my ear?], he would think he is too late to go to see a doctor at the hospital and be cured. I felt so.

Interviewer: You have to stay in the hospital like this, it seems the condition would cause worry.

Kyo: Yes, I think so. The program dates that I had to perform for the concert had come, so I had to continually postpone my appointment with the doctor. I didn't go to see doctor but I knew I must go for a cure as soon as possible.

Interviewer: Your ear was hurt like that, so didn't the doctor tell you about the cause of the hurt of Kyo-kun's ear? (note : I found the interviewer kept asking Kyo about the cause.)

Kyo: Yes, he did. It seemed it was hard to understand when I listened to his explanation. That's like: half of the hearing nerves were attacked violently from some loud noise or I have listened to some loud talk or whatever noise too frequently. These could cause the ruptured tympanum condition.

Interviewer: Before concert tour started, could Kyo-kun be aware of the wrong thing that happened to your ear?

Kyo: I didn't feel anything wrong and I didn't even look for who or what caused this condition, too. If I found it, I would make it disappear. I hinted to you that I have more self-confidence in whatever I would do. Since all what I have done, it would be the existed fact. (Laughs)

Interviewer: I agree with you, but I think your ear injury occurred from the intro of [Rastsu no Koku]. Was it possible? Maybe, I don't feel right, do I?

Kyo: This just was an idea and it had been pulled out already.

Interviewer: When did you feel the sounds that you heard weren't harmonious?

Kyo: Between the encore, but it's not the last part of [Rasetsu no Koku], though it wasn't the real cause, was it? Since, at the end of this song, when I was singing, I could hear the sound as usual in both my ears. So I felt like nothing wrong had happened to me. At first, I thought in this way until I was aware it's not just a trifle. Then I started re-pondering over what sound had affected my tympanum seriously in [Rasetsu no Koku]. [Was it possible?] But when I rethought, in [KR cube] or [I'll] I started to feel [what?! why the sounds from the monitor were bass and low], then my left ear heard a sound [GOCK] inside. I thought this was the cause of why I heard the monitor's sounds were so bass and low.

Interviewer: When you heard the wrong sounds, what did you feel at that time?

Kyo: At first, I also heard the sound [urrrr....urrrrr....] and [humm....humm..]. So I thought [what's happening actually?!] (laughs)

Interviewer: When you were brought to the hospital, with the feeling [what was happening to my ear?], what did the doctor tell you?

Kyo: My tympanum was ruptured, something around this. I must be admitted to the hospital to be cured. I felt [what should I do for this situation?]

Interviewer: Then what about your ear's condition?

Kyo: I felt it isn't bad, but it's not that good. I felt drunken and dizzy, like that.

Interviewer: From the comment of the last month, the hospital had diagnosed and treated your hearing disability, that made you feel like hell, didn't it?

Kyo: If I felt that way, maybe I wouldn't go to see the doctor. I felt like [what was happening to me?] (laughs) [Was it that serious?]

Interviewer: What were you thinking at that time? In the roll of the lead vocalist of Dir en grey, this situation has happened in real life, hasn't it ? (Note: I don't know what the interviewer meant exactly, I just guess they are talking about image?)

Kyo: It's not that serious. No matter if I am a musician, forming my band and either became successful or not, everything that concerns the band or whatever causes me to feel anxious, I don't like it at all.

Interviewer: Umm.... When a sudden illness happens to you, what will you do next?

Kyo: Before I would do anything, I need to consider circumspectly. It's not like whatever happened... the concert tour has to be postponed only, is it? That makes me feel like [we are going to have to limit, strictly]. I myself just think how to solve this problem. The answer is not merely mine. I'm not the only one who makes the decision. If we are talking about [the occurred feeling], I could tell you that there's many feelings, including fan mails written to me, encouraging me when I was in the hospital. When I looked at those mails, I felt [ah... there are so many letters]

Interviewer: What were written in the letters?

Kyo: They were written [you should stop the concert tour first and go to be cured in the hospital please.] After I read those letters, I had another point of view, feeling like [why? Our tour concert is quite funny, don't you want to see us ?] (laughs)

Interviewer: Those letters from fans make you feel like there're some heavy things dropped on your shoulder, don't they?

Kyo: That's right. (laughs) Even when all those feeling rather affected me directly, didn't they? Then... what should I do from now? (laughs) Because the Macabre album had been released recently, in that time I felt I have more energy and [I must have a concert tour].

Interviewer: Your band mates seem really worried about you, so they decided to postpone the concert tour.

Kyo: Just like that. Recently, they had a celebration with champagne when I left the hospital. I couldn't refuse to go, could I? Because of their feelings and speeches, including their impressed reactions that were for me.

Interviewer: The situation made everyone realize and understand each other better.

Kyo: everyone understand each other well.

Interviewer: If someone in the band asked [what will happen to our band?], it would be a depressing idea.

Kyo: That's quite right. At first, I wondered about how the others thought and felt. Though everyone was worried, but they could understand this situation. They didn't over react. My feelings for that time were [How did they feel about the idea I sent by singing songs?, Couldn't I be a part of the band any more?, Did I have to quit the band?] All my thoughts were worst, because of the doctor's comment, as if it directly threatened me.

Interviewer: Did you imagine about if you can't be Dir en grey, how would you be ?

Kyo: I don't know. [If I had to be admitted to the hospital, I don't know how long I have to cure] and [In a year, maybe many things will change] then I might think [Not really! The band won't change in a year]

Interviewer: Sounds like it's not yourself.

Kyo: That's just the idea. For me, [It's not myself] had already reached an end point.

Interviewer: That's sounded reasonable. What was opposite yourself would be the regret that you felt, wouldn't it?

Kyo: Yes, it would.

Interviewer: At the beginning of your recuperation, did you feel your mind declined?

Kyo: I could feel it, somewhat. I did feel bad at that time. (chuckles) I forced myself to look cheerful, even when I ate or went shopping.

Interviewer: That sounds bad. In fact, Kyo-kun doesn't need to think out too much.

Kyo: That's right. It would have taken more time till my tympanum would recover again.

Interviewer: Your ruptured tympanum has been healed and recovered, hasn't it?

Kyo: Yes, it has. But I have to take medicine on a schedule as the doctor told me. They have side-effects, because they make me fatter and have more of an appetite. All side-effects would stop, if I stop taking them. But I have to take the medicine regularly, I can't stop taking it absolutely, if not I will feel a lot of pain in my body.

Interviewer: Ah! Sounds scary.

Kyo: Anything touching my body brought me pain. When I went outside, I would have a fever but it didn't hurt.

Interviewer: You felt pain in your joints, didn't you?

Kyo: Yes! Yes, I did. But I still felt strong. (laughs) I had many pimples all over my face. This so ugly.

Interviewer: Really? At that period, where did your encouragement come from?

Kyo: Of course, all my band mates who were concerned about me and all the thousands of paper cranes the fans sent me. (note : Japanese people believe paper crane can make your wish come true, but it's up on the number of the paper crane you made.)

Interviewer: From Kyo-kun's image, you don't look sensitive or could feel touched when you read all the fan letters.

Kyo: It isn't my image. (laughs) But it doesn't mean I don't have any sensitiveness left inside my mind. Regardless, when I saw fan letters and paper cranes that were sent to me, they make me feel [I have to try more as well] They are my encouragement and could make me feel more self-confident.

Interviewer: And they are your encouragement that could make you fight all the problems too.

Kyo: Yes, they are. For the kid fans who sent me encouragement, I would like to tell you [Thank you very much]. (note : how old are Kyo's kid fan ?!)

Interviewer: Ah...That's so good. I quite agree with you. (laughs)

Kyo: Recently, I looked through my own way in Dir en grey and I found many things have changed. Basically, they changed gradually, slowly, as I could feel them. But they're not enough for me, vice versa, I felt [Are they what I really want to do?] All the matters that I had rethought when I was took a break to recover, were they the answer to my questions? They're somewhat important to me, including either the fact of Visual or the songs that could express the feeling. All the way that we are expressing, of course, they would have our feelings collected inside, too. We would like to create new things for the fans to see.

Interviewer: Kyo-kun said [Are they what we want to do?], what was the point that you would like to make to express this more clearly?

Kyo: From the first appearance, all over, ... they were just personal attitude, view and opinion. But even so it didn't decline the structure of Visual which was judged as a beautiful scene, did it? And I myself was never been judged as a beautiful guy in this Visual era, I think. Since I looked through myself when I wore make-up, it's fairy beautiful. (laughs) If you wholly looked through our view and you feel like you have to judge the Visual of Dir en grey as some kind of beauty. [Ah....you get it wrong] I have to think twice more about my future, the way I should to proceed. As yet, I've thought it is important and felt it was my obstacle when I have to move forward.

Interviewer: Your faithful feeling doesn't seem to be a bad idea, does it?

Kyo: It was a feeling that I've had before. Thus it informed me about what way I should go. Other people might think [it barely changed anything.] Maybe it was that idea. But for me, it's quite different, no matter how to express my feeling through the words of the songs. Of course, it was a beautiful feeling and it was a true feeling that happened to me.

Interviewer: Through you had shown me the example of your obstacles. Did you mean your live performance has changed as well? And has it been gradually changing?

Kyo: What's the point, right? For me, whenever the next step comes, it has to lead to a change in myself.

Interviewer: How do other people who see you feel?

Kyo: Quite so. Maybe they are overlooking me now. As usual for a person who never expresses his natural action, so this kind of person might have a totally different idea from me. That could be possible. Despite this, it's the problem of my personal feelings that was really important to me.

Interviewer: What was the feeling that Kyo-kun had when you found out would you have to take a break for recovery?

Kyo: Just as I said. When I took the break, Dir en grey didn't have any news and activities, did they? Including the articles in the magazines. For this reason, we have to do more. We heard that many younger bands asked about my condition, saying they were anxious about me. That makes me feel quite impressive. (laughs) This situation showed me about the feeling that surrounds myself and made me remember that when I'd had the hardest time of my life. I could feel it when I look back to that point.

Interviewer: From your difficulties that happened, it made Kyo-kun able to see your strength and a good reflection of yourself. Kyo: Umm... therefore the time when I had to take a break, I made use of that time more worthwhile than usual. Not only the time I had to take a break, the feeling that happened and passed at that time has continued followed me through today. I would like to say it makes me have more energy for working. Of course, a return doesn't mean it always brings you more energy, does it? But I feel more energy than before and it's just my feeling.

Interviewer: It is the feeling that gives you more faith. Kyo: I have a little more self-confidence, too. (laughs)

Interviewer: Now, all the things that caused anxiety and the problems that happened to Dir en grey have passed. That means you will have more time to consider. For this point, is it a good ting? Kyo: For my personal point of view, I think it's good when a bad situation has ended well and the way that everybody has treated me, they are not [the favor I have to reward].

Interviewer: Did your band mates call you? Kyo: Yes, they did and quite often. They always asked me [Are you alright?], except [that fellow]. (laughs) (note : could you guess who was he ? ^^::] Kaoru-kun even came over my house.

Interviewer: Ah... At that time, the friendship from your band mates were very strong. Concern for each other is quite a good feeling. For myself, I don't have many friends, so I hardly understand the feelings that happened in this situation. Kyo: I myself don't have many friends either. (laughs) I seldom receive the love and sympathy for human beings, but when I receive them, it feels really good. Kaoru-kun, he even came over my house, then we sat and watched the live video tape that Kaoru-kun brought along with him. He said he would feel embarrassed if he came over to my house without anything. So he brought the video along with him as a citation. (laughs) Kaoru-kun came over my house two times and both times he brought something along with himself. (laughs) For the friends who I couldn't meet for a long time, when I finally meet them, it feels quite good. (note : I feel I love Kaoru more after reading this ^_~Wink

Interviewer: The standing tour is coming, isn't it? How do you feel now? For your own feeling, would you like to gather all the comments to peruse? Kyo: We got many comments when we had to postpone our tour concert. I thought the fans who heard about this news would be worried and wait for our concert, wouldn't they? There're many new feelings inside my mind and they are very different. Thus I would like to tell everybody through MC, to let everybody know [all the feelings that everybody gives to me, it's quite beautiful]

Interviewer: Not only the songs, when you stand on the stage, all the reactions that brought about the feeling well up inside yourself too, doesn't it? Kyo: No, it doesn't. (laughs) When I sing, I set my mind to the best. All the reaction surrounding me doesn't affect my feeling inside. But I thought [it will be good if I could explain my feelings inside to everybody] I could sing the beautiful, meaningful songs and that means I'm not a guy of little worth, am I? Besides the melody of the songs, I think the way of life and the life style of human beings is [great]. It's what I like very much.

Interviewer: Either during the rehearsal and on the performance day, does Kyo-kun have any anxiety about the illness ? Kyo: About the pain of my ear condition, there's no need to worry. I don't know if it will have pain in the future or not. But it has a chance to happen again easily. I'm still worried, [don't happen again for this time] I just think [I don't want to lie down on the bed and inject the saline solution every day!] So that's mean I may have to [operate]!

Interviewer: But, you had to take the saline solution every day as usual, didn't you? Kyo: Yes, I did. When I lay down and waited for the doctor to inject the needle in my arm, it was the waiting time that I hate the most. I wanted the doctor to do it quickly. (laughs)

Interviewer: Eh? Didn't you feel anything? Kyo: I felt a bit dizzy.(laughs) After taking the saline solution for 2 hours, I felt alright. But the nurse liked to [gradually, gradually] take out the needle, very slowly. I would like her to do it rapidly.

Interviewer: Due to Kyo-kun's love of fast beat songs, right? So when you have to take saline solution, you like to do it rapidly, don't you? (laughs) Kyo: Yes, I do. (laughs)

Interviewer: The side-effect from the saline solution for you is it made you have more of an appetite, didn't it? Kyo: Yes, it did. And now it makes me quite a bit fatter. If they won't stop providing me with saline solution, I will be even fatter than you have seen and I will become something I don't know. (laughs)

Interviewer: From now, you have to plan the schedule for the live concert from the early year to the next early year, don't you? Kyo: Yes, I do. And I would like to plan something new for the band, too.

Interviewer: Could you please send some message to the fans who are waiting for Kyo-kun to recover completely? >Kyo: For the fans, I think they had more than enough anxiety for what happened. No matter what they are thinking when they watch our concert performance, I would like to bring them to feel the itch and enjoy it extremely.

Interviewer: Don't you want your fans to feel anxious again? Kyo: No, I don't. I want our lives to be full of energy and enjoyment.

Interviewer: From your personal thoughts, Kyo-kun would like to hear screaming all over the live house, wouldn't you? Kyo: That's enjoyable. I would like to hear the fans say about Dir en grey that [a change has happened]. I've not met everybody for a long time, thus I would like it to be full of an atmosphere of enjoyment. Because it's a time for enjoyment. Let us go together!

Interviewer: [When I am singing, don't worry about anything] This shows the fans your self-confidence, doesn't it? Kyo: It's quite right? I don't want everybody worried about me more, including my method of [how to good at committing the lyrics to my memory] too. (laughs)

Interviewer: When you meet your band mates, you seldom tell your feelings to them as usual, do you? After this situation has passed, I hope you will show them your inside feelings more. Kyo: (laughs) .... Ummmm....spoken words are so important, for this reason, please tell me too.

Interviewer: But I have voice from someone who sends their concern to you and.... it appears to be Shinya. Kyo: well...thanks for the concern. (laughs)

http://www.jmusiceuropa.com/en/files/interview.php?id=172

http://pink-killer.co.uk/shinya/21questions.htm

http://pink-killer.co.uk/shinya/welcometothefinal.htm

http://www.centigrade-j.com/features/interviews/deg_uv_vulgar.htm

http://aseriana.net/direngrey/interviews.html

Thank you for these interviews!

Kyo said:
Kaoru-kun, he even came over my house, then we sat and watched the live video tape that Kaoru-kun brought along with him. He said he would feel embarrassed if he came over to my house without anything. So he brought the video along with him as a citation. (laughs) Kaoru-kun came over my house two times and both times he brought something along with himself. (laughs)

Awwww... they way he say in the interview, sounds like Kaoru was the only bandmember who called to visit his house when he was sick ☝ Poor Kyo... :(
I exactly know Kaoru's feeling though, because I feel uncomfortable to visit someone's house without a reason, so I always take something, gift or something like that, me too! 😌

Umm yeah no problem! 😌 And here you go two more interviews 😊

Pop Beat December 1999- Kaoru and Toshiya

::On the 17th of November the video clips of Gauze is going to be realesed.::
Kaoru - Before the summer tour we recorded in Hokkaido, as well as recording at the Tokyo studios in between times of the tour and also during the tour we did a number of fan club lives and there were some of the lives recorded so there is a variety of pictures in the video.
Toshiya - Like 'Akuro no Oka', we already had a PV taken in Italy but that was the short version. We are looking forward to this video because we have put in the long version into it.
::What kind of impression did you get when you were in Hokkaido?::
Toshiya - We went to Hakkaido just before the tour started and at the recording we could eat as much Yubari ( city, Hakkido) melon (hina: melon in Japan is v.expensive) as we wanted. The melon was delicious.
::Did you record '304 gochitsu..' in an abandoned house or something?::
Toshiya - It was a place that had the horrible feel "there must be something in here" to it.
Kaoru - The places where we record always seem to be in those kind of places. But there is no one who has a strong sense of inspiration between our members so there are no experiences in seeing ghosts appear at all.
::I see you change your make up and the styling of your costumes for each song::
Kaoru - After all I thought if the clothes we wear is different and also the make up it is more fun for the person watching it.
::In 'raison detre' Kaorusan's styling was very shocking::
Kaoru - Really?
::You had that extraordinary mask with a tube like an elephant's nose stuck to it.::
Toshiya - An elephant's nose?! (laugh)
Kaoru - At that time I wanted to try as many things as possible. I suddenly had the idea and at the studio I got my stylist to paint the head phones etc.
Toshiya - In that video clip Kaorukun is 'Togetogekun'.(laughs)
Kaoru - At this point (interview was taken in the middle of October) all the songs have not been finished so we can not talk about the whole feel of the video but I think it will be very kakoii?
Toshiya - Pleaz look forward to it.
Yellow Very Happyo you watch videos usually?::
Toshiya - I watch. In the past I used to work in a video rental shop and I used to watch nearly all the new video releases.
Kaoru - I don't have a membership at the video rental shop anymore but in the past I used to go frequently to borrow them.
::What kind of videos do you watch?::
Kaoru - Films and Anime.
::What kind of films do you like?::
Kaoru - I don't really like horror movies because they're scary.
::But I think Dir en Grey's pvs are scary also::
Kaoru - I'm okay with the gruesome ones but I can't take the suspense ones. I can't cope with the feeling 'it's coming, it's coming' (laugh). I can't take films like 'Jaws' where they use music and such to make you feel scared and then suddenly 'waaaaah'! When I watch those kind of suspense movies I just fast forward those points. And then I feel relieved that the scary parts have passed and I can continue watching.
Toshiya - But then there's no point in watching.
Kaoru - That is why I never watch those type of horror.
Toshiya - I also watch movies but not so much love movies. I sometimes watch it if it comes on television but I don't go to the extent of wanting to watch it so badly that I go and rent it out.
::So what kind of videos do you watch many times or buy Toshiyasan?::
Toshiya - Anime. There are many things in Anime which I can watch many times. If I want to keep it for later then I will buy it.
::What do you buy?::
Toshiya - This is in the past but something like ________ (hina: bookname which I can't read! Miyazawa something???) which gave me a shock when I was young and so sometimes I feel like watching it.
::Have you ever cried because of the Anime?::
Toshiya - 'Hotaru no Haka'
Kaoru - You can really cry for that
Toshiya - During the summer tour, it was on television and so I watched it and I ended up crying again.
Kaoru - I watched 'Hotaru no Haka' at the cinema along with 'Tonari no Totoro'.
Toshiya - Other Anime that I cried for was 'Furandazu no inu' (hina: same as Glay's teru!!), a theatre production, when I came to Tokyo and borrowed it. I cried because of that.
Yellow Very Happyo you watch films that make you cry often?::
Kaoru - Yes, but it's not like I watch it thinking I am going to cry.
::What film always makes someone cry or if they don't they can't be human?::
Kaoru - 'Hachikou Monogatari'. I saw this and I thought anyone who doesn't cry when they watch this is strange.
Toshiya - I cried because of that. That really makes you cry ne?
Kaoru - A person who sees it and doesn't cry, has failed in being human.
::Also do you ever want to have the kind of love relationships that you see in films?::
Kaoru - I don't think about such things (laugh).
Toshiya - I don't dream to that extent (laugh). Anyway I haven't watched any love films.
::How about 'Ghost'?::
Toshiya - I have never seen it.
::Haven't you seen it?!::
Toshiya - No. I haven't seen 'Titanic' either.
::Hmm?..::
Kaoru - I do watch but I don't understand the feelings of people who want to watch films like 'titanic' 5,6 times.
::So what type of film would you watch over and over again?::
Kaoru - There are a number of times when I feel like watching 'Miyazawashun' and so I have watched that many times. There are also other anime as well.
::It's all manga for you 2 isn't it?::
Kaoru - Yes. (laugh) 'Ebangelion' I think it was - one day when I had a day off I woke up in the evening and went to the corner shop whereby I was watching the 'pia' (hina-?!) and I realised that that day was the last day of the roadshow and because I had wanted to watch it earlier I had to go and watch it! So I went to watch it in the cinema.
::You wanted to watch it in the cinema before it came out on video?::
Kaoru - yes. I had to watch it. I seldom go to watch films in the cinema. Since I moved here I have only been twice and the last time I went to see a film was 4~5 years ago. I watched 'Omihi de poroporo'.
::Anime again?::
Kaoru - (laugh) When I went to see X Japan's Live at Tokyo Dome. I went without booking a hotel and so I had to stay overnight in an all night cinema. At that time River Phoenix's 'My Private Aidaho' I think it was, was on as well. I was having trouble deciding which one I should watch. I was with ny friend and so it certainly had to be the Anime and we chose 'Omihi de Poroporo'. (laugh)
::Does that mean you liked River Phoenix?::
Kaoru - yes.
Toshiya - River Phoenix was popular amongst the girls ne.
::Are there any films you watch because of the actors who starr in it?::
Kaoru - Not recently but I used to like an actress called Brigitte Fonder. I used to watch all her films. In the past, I went to see her when she came to Japan to be a guest at a movie festival.
::You were a big fan ne?::
Kaoru - To tell you the truth, yes (laugh)
::She was in 'Asashin' wasn't she?::
Kaoru - Yes and also 'Roommate'.
Toshiya - ( hina; he says something about liking this actor with a name I can't actually read! Sorry.) I thought Natalie Portman was pretty in 'Leon'. Now she is in Star Wars.
::Have you ever had the experience where you became such a big fan of someone, you copied their fashion and hairstyle?::
Kaoru - I wanted to copy River Phoenix
Toshiya - Really?
Kaoru - Yes
Toshiya - I wanted to see that (laugh)
Kaoru - But I didn't because I thought I wouldn't suit it.
::Oh, really?::
Kaoru - Yes. When I was in secondary school I went to see a film called 'Jimmy' at the cinema and I thought ' I want to make my hair into that hairstyle!' But it wasn't going to suit me so I didn't.

kyo interview- rock #37
Music Rock vol. 37

Returns from the abyss of despair, the expressionist of darkness
In this interview, Kyo would openly, for the first time, reveal his lifestyle and true way of thinking.
We could, from it, get a glimpse of Kyo's past, present, future, and his very unique view on life.

--I hope that in today's interview, we could on one hand, review on life, and on the other, dig into Kyo's mind and
life. Where were you born?
Kyo: Kyoto.

--You've been living in Kyoto all along?
Kyo: Yeah. I had been living in Kyoto until 18, and I formed bands in Kyoto... but gradually I felt that there is a slight problem to
continue doing this in Kyoto... Bands in Kyoto are all unique, and our relationship is very good. Since we all know each other,
if a certain band breaks up, the members would definitely form another band with the friends they know. I hate this kind of
"friendship circle". Because of this, I felt that I would be limited if I join bands in Kyoto, and would not achieve anything.
Therefore, the idea of going to Osaka sparked up.

--We could talk more on this later. What are your family members?
Kyo: A sister, and my parents.

--From your remaining memories, how was you like as a kid?
Kyo: I hated the "bad guys", but at the same time I hated the serious guys. I don't belong to a particular side. Even though I've
done naughty things, I'm not one of those bad guys. I get along with everyone. Yet I am not very familiar with anyone. You
can say I'm a queer existing individual. To elaborate, well, elementary school, junior high... I didn't study in senior high... isn't
there a lot of serious guys studying throughout the periods of elementary and junior high school? On the other hand those bad
guys only cared to make a scene and do bad things, and they thought they were cool... I think these two kinds of people both
looked like idiots.

--Both the studious or making-a-racket type?
Kyo: Yup. Ever since elementary, I've decided that studying is not one of the key factors to become an adult. Take science for
example. Looking at my parents now, is studying science a must for them? The answer is a definite no. So if you think like this,
you'll see that the time spent on studying science is wasted. If I use one hour each day to study, then it's equivalent to
wasting one hour... that would be 4, 5 hours per week. I detested these kind of rules. Actually it's already enough to know
kanji and simple arithmetic. I does not have the slightest interest for history, it does not matter a single bit for past things. I
really have no interest for it... but I quite like the "revealing the secret of the pyramid" kind of things. (laughs)

--I see. (laughs)
Kyo: The obedient types are always studying. I was infuriated by their obligated attitude, like they would be told off by their
teachers if they don't study.

--They never thought if this is necessary to themselves
Kyo: Yeah. For example, if I wanted to be a baseball player or football player, and this is accepted by my teachers and parents,
then I could just learn the essential knowledge I needed to survive in the society. The rest of the time I could focus on doing
the things I like. Isn't it better this way?

--This is very true with respect to life.
Kyo: Right! If it was like this, the standard of the football and baseball players... although I am not very familiar with this, I still
believe would be higher.

--Of course the standard would be higher.
Kyo: Apart from the time spent on science and social science, there are also the time spent on English and physical education etc. ...
if learning these is out of a sense of duty, I'd rather the students go and do the things they like, and nurture their own
interests. If someone who wanted to be a singer could save the time wasted on unnecessary studying, they would definitely be
better.

--You are sceptical about the "duty" you mentioned in "study out of duty", right?
Kyo: Exactly. That's why I only does what I liked and what makes me happy. Why is it that there are things, like studying and going
to university, that must be achieved for others to consider you as a "good child"? Everyone thinks that going to university equals to getting a good job... but this is meaningless to me.

--Anything is okay as long as it's your decision.
Kyo: Therefore I despise those guys who studied out of a sense of duty. I also despise those "bad guys" who studied furiously just
prior to finals... when everyone knows they are trying to make up at the last minute, I really feel unbearable and revolting.

--You started having these views when you were in junior school?
Kyo: Yes. At that time, we need to let our parents look at our report cards. Since I scored zero marks for all my results, I got
scolded severely by my dad.

--Your parents are the type that will tell their kids to "go study"?
Kyo: Yes. They both studied in university before, so in their hearts, there is a kind of dignity with all this. My father thought that,
himself as a university graduate, has to work very hard, so I would have to work even harder if I am not a university
graduate. Actually it is because he does not want to see his kids suffer later, that he asked us to study hard. But I don't agree
with his viewpoint. I feel that even if I can't do well in my studies, I will still be all right if I could continue to do what suits me
most. However I didn't have any dreams in my junior school days, and I didn't know what to focus on. Therefore when my
parents told me, "just get into an university! You can decide later!" , I felt furious.

--Did you think that "just get into an university!" is meaningless?
Kyo: Yes. This is my life. I think that even if after becoming an adult, I am without a job, don't have anything that I wanted to do, or
have to sleep under flyovers, it is no big deal.

--Because it is your choice.
Kyo: Even though I might regret later on, it is my own responsibility.

--On the contrast, you must hate the kind of people who put the blame on their parents immediately.
Kyo: Of course. Parents say that kind of things because they love their kids. But actually whatever they said, it makes no
difference...

-To conclude, you are yourself.
Kyo: People always say, "you received your body from your parents, don't do this or that to it". To me, I don't think I "received" it
from my parents, it's just an coincidence. If my parents chose to give birth to me specifically from a whole lot of babies, then I
would be very moved. However if we are born into the same family because of coincidence, then I think that people should
not use that kind of tone to teach their kids. Although I didn't think like that when I was small, I still feel indignant when I was
told not to pierce anymore holes or what.

--What does your parents do?
Kyo: They worked in a company, and then opened their own company. (mito: wow.) They married young.

--Usually people who owns their own company like their kids to inherit their business. Are your parents like that?
Kyo - No, my parents once said, "We won't leave anything for you!" (laughs), and it doesn't matter to me either. If I used my
parent's money, then I'm contradicting myself, isn't it? That's why I don't think that matters to me.

--I see. You often got hit by your father I heard? Your relationship with him is not very good?
Kyo: Hmmm.... our character is very similar, very assertive. Therefore when I got hit by him, my mom always tries to stop him. I detest violence from small, and I disliked those bullies, because they are violent.

--They only know how to overpower through violence.
Kyo: Some TV shows promote the idea of violence is a method to express love. What kind of saying is that!! This is totally ridiculous
and contradictory. When I was in junior school, a teacher employed a tutor to teach me at home, because of my bad
academic results. But if he wanted to show his care for me, why didn't he teach me himself after school, instead of letting
someone else teach me? Isn't it contradictory? Therefore, besides those bullies, I hate the ones who are serious. There are
violent ones within the teachers, right? Like those sports teacher. I had a teacher who taught American football. He liked to
smack students on the tiniest things. As for students like me, who are neither serious nor bad, he acted as if we weren't there,
and thought that we could achieve nothing. This made me mad, and I thought, what is the big deal about knowing sports!?

--What you said is true, there is no paradox.
Kyo: It IS like that. I truly believed in that. But I didn't know how to express myself when I was small. I understand that theory in
my heart, but I couldn't express with words. Even if I could talk about these ideas with my parents, I would probably get a
hiding again.

--Your father's violence must have scarred you.
Kyo: Not that serious. But there is a influence to be honest. If I could gain some knowledge or understanding, however small it
might be, after the beating, then it would be better. But in the end there is nothing gained, so the violence is actually a waste.

--I see. Then, when you were isolated by both the bullies and the studious students during your elementary and
junior high school days, did you feel awkward or out of place?
Kyo: At that time, I felt that it didn't matter, since I had no intentions of increasing my number of friends. But later we started
discussing the matter of going to senior high school anyway. By then I have already decided my dream.... "to form a band".

--When did this idea appear?
Kyo: When I graduated from junior high school... around 15 or 16.

--Before that, have you been listening to music all along?
Kyo: I once disliked music a lot (laughs). At that time, "Hikaru Genji" and other Johnny's bands were very popular on TV. The most
popular idols are Nakamori Akina and Kudo Shizuka. Yet I liked animes, games and films. But my parents are always watching
cricket, so I was unable to watch those shows... this make me hate sports even more.

--What animes do you like?
Kyo: At that time, the popular "Hokuto no ??"(note: don't know how to romanize) and "Shonen Jump" (note: I have no idea if I
romanized correctly or not, since I am no anime fans...) series manga. It is because of this that I disliked idols, and the music
and music shows were also very boring... apart from anime and games, I have no interest in anything else. However one day
I saw a picture of Sakurai Atsushi of Buck-Tick on my female classmate's desk- with his hair all standing up. I was shell-
shocked. Sakurai Atsushi is very beautiful, isn't he? Both his hair and his look are so artistic, very cartoon-like... looking back
now, it is related to anime. At that time, I just thought that him as cool. Later I bought Buck-Tick CDs to listen to, but they are
all pop songs, so I didn't find anything ear-catching. Coincidentally, X-Japan started to gain attention. They have a lot of fast
songs, don't they? From then, I realized I liked fast songs. Within all X-Japan scores, I liked the fast songs best. They also had
hairs that stand, so I was affected by them and decided to form a band. After that, I lost interest in everything else except
band.

--Don't you have anything that you wanted to do before this?
Kyo: Not a single thing. At that time everyone was discussing whether to continue studies or to find a job, and when I was working
the problem out, the idea of forming a band appeared in my head. Since then, I was clear of the direction I wanted to head for.

--When you were in Form 3 (grade 9), and you decided immediately?
Kyo: Yeah. I liked hide a lot, and I liked his unique character and method of expressing himself. I bought a guitar which was the
same as hide's (note: not hide's model) . I played it together with my friends who liked bands, but I can't manage it.
Later I tried bass, but I don't think it is interesting. When I was thinking that this is not something that I wanted to do ,
Kuroyume appeared. At that time I played guitar at home sometimes, but gradually I felt that being a vocalist was not a bad
idea, so I gave up both guitar and bass. Right then there was a small article in "Rockin' F" (note: is it the present UV?) about
Kuroyume's first CD. Because the article was very short, I didn't know if they were visual kei or something else... Ah! I was in
a band called "Rody" before that. Since being in a band requires money, I need to work in Kyoto's Central Market, everyday
from around 3 to 4am to afternoon.

--You didn't study senior high?
Kyo: I was forced to take to admission test, but after I have made up my mind on one thing, I will lose interest in everything else,
therefore I turned in blank papers for all the tests. (laughs)

--You really won't waste your time on unnecessary things.
Kyo: Yeah. Hm, even if I attended the exam seriously, I bet I still won't be able to get pass. But I handed in blank papers for all the
subjects.

--It's a matter of insisting to be yourself. (laughs)

--Why don't you tell us something about the Central Market?
Kyo: At that time there was a hard rock band working there. They have a slight visual kei feeling. I was asked to join their crew by
one of the members. I had rather long hair then, slightly bleached, so I was the type that you will immediately feel that I
should be band-related. That's why he asked me to join them as their roadie. Later I went to watch their live, thought they
were pretty cool, so I accepted (note: I am not very sure of this paragraph about being roadies and stuff... might be wrong!)
After that, I saw Kuroyume in the magazines, and I thought they were great.

--You were shocked in a different way?
Kyo: Yes! I went to watch their live. Kuroyume came to Kyoto to hold a live. It was the time when audience merely made up two
rows. I think hyde was there too. After watching the show, the shock I received was very deep.

--Before that, have you been watching a lot of lives?
Kyo: I liked Fukui-san a lot, so I did watch the live of Strawberry Field. But actually I rarely goes to live, because I don't like places
with too many people. (laughs) That Kuroyume show stunned me. I finally understand the style I wanted and what I've been
looking for all along. Before that, there are actually many bands who played fast brooding songs, but Kuroyume was very
complete in their style. All their songs are fast, and I was shaken in that respect. There had been no one whose vocals I would
have considered as cool before this, but Kiyoharu's voice is very unique. I really am astonished, and this pushed me to form a
band seriously.

--It affected you that deeply?
Kyo: Enormously. Whether it was - their visuals, songs, lyrics, voice.... all impacted me intensely. Even though I was already in a
band before that, I never had a clear direction. With the CDs that I bought to listen, there are none that really gave me a
pleasant surprise. Everybody seemed a bit detached.

--You already put "band" in the foremost position then?
Kyo: Totally. I played in a band in Kyoto then, but I don't like the type of friendly relationship between bands. Besides, a senpei
(people who are elder than one, or being in a business for longer time than one) used to tell me off saying I was too haughty.
I hated being criticized by him like that. On the other hand, there was something that is rather embarrassing for me to say...
at that time I had a girlfriend in Kyoto, and we lived together...

--You moved from your parents' home and lived together?
Kyo - No, we lived at my parents' house, on separate floors, the first and the second floor... well... later we broke up... and I didn't want to stay in Kyoto any longer. To me then, this incident hurt me a lot, I didn't want to live in Kyoto, because the scenery surrounding me would make me recall a lot of things... . Just then, a friend (note: I suppose that was Shinya...?) formed a band in Osaka, and later he got to know friends who worked as roadies for Osaka bands, so I went to Osaka and stayed at his place. As for the band we formed after I moved to Osaka, was the band prior to Dir en grey. (note: see, he deliberately avoids the name...)

--Oh, is it?
Kyo: To elaborate, before that particular band, we were Kuroyume's copy band. Me and my friend in Osaka was just trying out.
Surprisingly we attracted an audience, so me and the friend I'm living with decided to form a serious band. Later we formed
the band before Dir en grey. Kaoru-kun should have joined in our second or third performance.

--Did Kyo feel very confident with his singing abilities?
Kyo: No, I never really think of it that way. I just wanted to sing, that's it. It's just coincidence that hide, whom I liked, was a
guitarist. Most of the others that I liked were vocalists.

--Such as Ino, Kyo, Fukuino etc etc....
Kyo: And also Kiba, Hiro, and other vocalists with a sharp distinctive character. And within them, the one who affects me most is
Kiyoharu from Kuroyume.

--What type of impact did Kiyoharu have on you? In singing aspect, as a performer, or in the performance on stage?
Kyo: Probably on the stage performance... but it should be everything. No matter what it is -- the CD itself or the sleeve design ---
it is simply the best to me on the whole. I used to listen to them all day, every day.

--Does Kyo despise people who could only sing well?
Kyo: In the past, I didn't know what makes a good singer. I simply wanted to sing, that's all. (note: here Kyo meant that he didn't
know how to, and have not considered the things that could make himself a better vocalist)
My current style has not varied from the past... the first time a band holds a live, usually there are not much audience, right?
Maybe there will only be 2 or 3 persons in front of the stage watching you. During MC there will be audience talking at the
back. I would tell them, just like what I would now say, to "leave if you don't want to watch!" So in retrospect, I haven't
changed my style.

--It's more appropriate to say that your method of living and your thinking haven't changed since you're a kid!
(laughs)
Kyo: Exactly (laughs)

--To Kyo, Is there a special emotion for the band before Dir en grey? (note: oh the reporter is avoiding the name
too -_-;;Wink
Kyo: Yeah. When I formed bands in Kyoto, there were always things I disliked of the members. So when I started out again in
Osaka, naturally I would want to work with people that I am satisfied with. There were already 150 to 200 people coming to
watch us during our first live. You could say that we are rather popular already. At that time we also produced demo tapes and
held tours. We should have held around 75 lives, I think. The last one attracted around 400 people.

--That's impressive.
Kyo: But I didn't get along with the guy who played bass (note: he didn't say "bassist", the way he said it makes him sound very
emotionless). Later on other members found that they could not continue either, and we reached the stage where we had to
disband. At that time the whole band is like sand. Many people thought that the only difference between Dir en grey and the
band before lies in the bassist and the group name. This is totally wrong. We really did broke up officially, and I did return to
the stage where I was all alone. To be truthful, back then I wanted to form a band with the members other than the person
who played bass. Somehow, we gathered again after some talks. Except for the guy who played bass.

--I see.
Kyo: When we were holding tours for our former band, I already felt that Toshiya is very cool. I rarely watches lives of opposing
bands, and I never talked to anyone. The way I never talk is so severe that you could say I have a "human phobia" syndrome.
However Toshiya was the only one that I thought is cool, and I wanted very much to befriend him, so I have been talking to
him all along, and I wish to work with him. After breaking up the previous band, the four of us gathered, and we went to
Nagano together.

--The four of you went to Nagano together?
Kyo: Yeah! Then we brought him back to Osaka like that. (laughs) (note: Toshiya once said that they "kidnapped" him ^^;;; But
actually the way Kaoru brought Toshiya away was really cool -- at the club at which Toshiya was playing, the club manager
told Toshiya that he and Dir en grey won't reach anywhere in Osaka. Kaoru simply dragged Toshiya away and threw at the
manager with the words, "We will be famous." Woooo~, go Kaoru go! Toshiya was sooo impressed at that. Yeah they could go
back to Nagano and humiliate that club manager now, ho ho ho.)

Wow thanks! 🙏
Errrrr... what is Yellow Very Happyo? :? This is something I should know? :? :D

Awww... Kaoru cries at movies 😍 and he had to sleep in an allnight cinema! He gets bad luck, it seems... :eek:

Dir en grey's "message for a knot" translation'

Die: we are dir en grey

Kaoru: pfft

Die: what?

Kaoru: they already know that!

Die: oh really....uh......

Kyo: Ummm, so how was it? It was fun wasn't it?

Toshiya: It was fun.

(somebody said, "un" = yeah)

Toshiya: It was good.

Kaoru: Really, you saw it?

Toshiya: Yeah.

Kyo: It's also in the fanclub?

Toshiya: Of course.

Kyo: I think the people who are watching this are people who are in the fanclub.

Kaoru: That sucks. You mean just this?

Kyo: Yeah, now it's just this.

(cut)

Kaoru: So.. should we say something about joining the greatest club in Japan?

Toshiya: Wow you summed up the speech pretty well.

Kaoru: So let's just think about it for a bit.

Toshiya: Weren't you fascinated or anything?

Kaoru: Not THAT far..

Toshiya: So just a little bit.

Kaoru: Yeah, I'm not THAT in love with myself.

Kaoru: Yeah... well everyone ganbare! (you know what that means)

Everyone:Yeah

Kaoru: And so...

Die: nevaa sei gubai (never say goodbye)

LAUGHHH

(...................................silence.................)

Toshiya: ok

Die: ok

(starting to wave in order: Kaoru; Kyou; Toshiya and Shinya; and......
Shinya hits Die

Die: Wait up! (waves)

Toshiya: Faster, faster, faster, faster, as fast as you can!

(Shinya's hand starts going limp)

Toshiya: Straighten up! What the **** was that?!

(laughing)..........................

Kaoru: That was rediculous, wasn't it?

Kyo: Yeah!

Kaoru: We'll be shut down.

Die: let's give it another shot.

(everyone laughs and the repeat what Die said)

Kaoru: What about a request?

Toshiya: um...This....

Kaoru: ....SO.

(Kaoru and Die move up, everyone laughs)

Toshiya: um...

Kyo: SO

(cut)

Kaoru: So the highlight of the party...

Toshiya: Maybe we should say something to the fans watching from the other side of the screen?

Kaoru: Oh, yeah. so...

Toshiya: "lend me your hands...."

Kaoru: Lend me your hands!

Kaoru: Um... From hereafter, for more success for Dir en Grey, ...what? we have a wish?

Toshiya: We have a wish.

Kaoru: ........so what do you normally do after that....?

Toshiya: yo...pan.

Kaoru: huh? yopan?

Kyo: (acting it out) YO..(almost claps hands on "pan")

Kaoru: oh.

YO!

(clap)

(....(praying).......LAUGH and clapping)

Die: well done!

Everyone: well done. well done.

Die: well then, shall we go back?

Kaoru: yeah let's go.

Kyo: and DON'T CALL ME "-CHAN!"

fhhh... they are such loveable dorks!
Die: we are dir en grey

Kaoru: pfft

Die: what?

Kaoru: they already know that!

Die: oh really....uh......

:D :D :D

Thank you for the translation - I have this on video but had no clue what they are saying... it looks funny though... :giggle:

lol yeah i like kyo's last statement .. "and dont call me -CHAN!"
.... kyos so... :D :D *dies trying not to say kawaii* :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom