What's new

COVID-19 Coronavirus: situation in Japan

What really angers me is that I wanted to cycle around Okinawa or shikoku or in fact even Yamaguchi but with the the virus and the dangers that come along with that specially at my age it's like I feel like we're living in an open prison

Does 在留資格 only refer to permanent residents or to all visa holders?

The JT mentions "all foreign nationals with valid visas who temporarily left the country but have not yet received permission to re-enter".

在留資格 is anybody with a valid visa. Hopefully this relaxation will also allow permanent residents to leave and come back (and not just apply to people who already left and are trying to come back). JT says the regulation is vague, but the Japanese version seems to indicate it is for anybody leaving and wishing to come back.

What really angers me is that I wanted to cycle around Okinawa or shikoku or in fact even Yamaguchi but with the the virus and the dangers that come along with that specially at my age it's like I feel like we're living in an open prison
Since the virus really isn't anything to worry about and the deaths, as bad as they are, are well within keeping and less than certain other flu related deaths, car accidents and whatever...stop being delicate and go do whatever you want with common sense safety as you ordinarily would.

I really thought it would get worse after golden week because of travellers but doesn't seem that bad.

8 in Hyogo.
Screenshot_20200902-082535.png

I really thought it would get worse after golden week because of travellers but doesn't seem that bad.

8 in Hyogo.
View attachment 32715
It's not that bad, it's all BS. Call me a tinfoil hat wearer, fine but it's ALL BS! There are people going about without masks, full families carrying on as usual...nobody's dead from the plague. Masks on, masks off...nobody's bothered and nobody's dying, specifically not more than "regular" flu. I feel Shinzo Abe has really been removed because he hasn't fully gone along with the BS of most other governments.

Be sensible whatever the situation in any situation in life and don't let fear stop you from doing a thing especially when there's an equal amount of scientists (which have been silenced) saying the polar opposite about things and the proof of the pudding is in the eating...everyone's OK!

I'm in the same boat. Would have loved to spend this "free time" cycling Shikoku but I'm simply not going to take the risk of sitting for hours in a bus or train to get there.

Since the virus really isn't anything to worry about and the deaths, as bad as they are, are well within keeping and less than certain other flu related deaths, car accidents and whatever...stop being delicate and go do whatever you want with common sense safety as you ordinarily would.
Personally I think it is something to worry about. At least globally it is. Japan is still a question mark in my mind as to how they will fare.
It's not something to get petrified about but it's very significant. In the U.S. anyway I think it's the 3rd leading cause of death this year.
I wouldn't trust Japan's medical system not to gaslight you, especially if you're a long-hauler.

It's not that bad, it's all BS. Call me a tinfoil hat wearer, fine but it's ALL BS! There are people going about without masks, full families carrying on as usual...nobody's dead from the plague. Masks on, masks off...nobody's bothered and nobody's dying, specifically not more than "regular" flu. I feel Shinzo Abe has really been removed because he hasn't fully gone along with the BS of most other governments.
With the stigma of getting Covid I don't think you will really know how many people are getting sick since they won't advertise it.
Abe wasn't removed. He resigned (for the second time). If he wanted to stay he certainly could have. But at this point what is the point in continuing besides holding on to power. The Olympics is kaput and pretty everything else he was trying to do. Assuming he really has medical problems it makes sense.

Be sensible whatever the situation in any situation in life and don't let fear stop you from doing a thing especially when there's an equal amount of scientists (which have been silenced) saying the polar opposite about things and the proof of the pudding is in the eating...everyone's OK!
I don't believe it. That's the same argument about the equal amount of scientists arguing against climate change. We of course find out later that most of those scientists' work was funded by petroleum companies. Almost a million dead globally is not fiction. Personally I think it's prudent to be careful. I will continue wearing a seat belt when I drive and I will continue wearing masks and avoiding people until this disease is better understood. At this point I personally know 7 people who had it. My cousin nearly died, spending a week in intensive care. His family had minor symptoms. His mother-in-law sadly did not survive. My nephew also got it and had minor symptoms. But with all the long-hauler news coming out, we don't truly know if they are completely in the clear or not.

The number of daily infections in Tokyo still hovers around over 200, but the government moves towards a gradual normalisation: a government advisory panel approved steps
  • to allow packed crowds at stage and movie theatres from 19 September
  • to change audience size in other entertainment areas
  • to relax audience capacity for classical concerts, traditional performing arts and plays
  • to allow art galleries, museums, zoos, cinemas and amusement parks to admit more people (rides in amusement parks that induce screaming will only be allowed to operate at half of the capacity)
  • to remove the current upper limit of 5,000 for baseball and soccer games (events and venues in excess of 10,000, such as stadiums for sporting events and music halls, will only be allowed to operate at 50 per cent capacity)

The last step seems reasonable. I went to my first match this year at Ajinomoto stadium last Wednesday - we won! There were 5000 in a stadium that can fit almost 50000. I was comfortably sat 1.5m from the nearest person thanks to the strictly adhered to seating arrangement, and large parts of the stadium were not in use. There was a nice but muted atmosphere, though I missed the singing and the beer girls!
10000 people would have been fine, provided there is some thought about ensuring that the trains after the match don't get too crowded.

Though still unavailable, it's good to know that coronavirus vaccinations will be for free for members of the public. However, it's not yet determined whether foreign residents are considered members of that public, too.

Whether the policy will cover foreign residents in Japan has yet to be officially determined, a ministry official said, while offering his personal opinion that it would be natural to include them for the sake of public health. The Japanese government is trying to secure enough vaccines by the first half of 2021 to administer to all members of the public, having earmarked a budget of 671.4 billion yen ($6.4 billion). It has agreed with British drugmaker AstraZeneca Plc and U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc. to receive 120 million doses of vaccine from each company when successfully developed, and is also negotiating with U.S. firm Moderna Inc. for 40 million doses or more.

While the numbers of new infections, severe cases, and deaths in Japan still don't compare to the surges in the US, Europe, and other places, Tokyo today saw the third consecutive day of over 200 cases:

Thursday, 5 Nov: 269
Friday, 6 Nov: 242
Saturday, 7 Nov: 294 (nationwide: 1,323)

Not good. Are we back into the surging number game?

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government on Saturday reported 294 new cases of the coronavirus, up 52 from Friday. The number is the result of 6,621 tests conducted on Nov 4. The tally brought Tokyo's cumulative total to 32,429. By age group, the most number of cases were people in their 20s (81), followed by 55 in their 30s and 48 in their 40s. The number of infected people in Tokyo with severe symptoms is 36, one down from Friday, health officials said. Nationwide, the number of reported cases as of 6:30 p.m. was 1,323. After Tokyo, the prefectures with the most cases were Osaka (191), Hokkaido (187), Kanagawa (137), Aichi (113), Saitama (69), Chiba (61), Okinawa (32), Hyogo (31) and Kyoto (20). Five coronavirus-related deaths were reported.
Source: Tokyo reports 294 new coronavirus cases; nationwide tally 1,323

Hokkaido reported 187 new cases today.

While the numbers of new infections, severe cases, and deaths in Japan still don't compare to the surges in the US, Europe, and other places, Tokyo today saw the third consecutive day of over 200 cases:

Thursday, 5 Nov: 269
Friday, 6 Nov: 242
Saturday, 7 Nov: 294 (nationwide: 1,323)

Not good. Are we back into the surging number game?

Source: Tokyo reports 294 new coronavirus cases; nationwide tally 1,323

Hokkaido reported 187 new cases today.

Most other temperate northern hemisphere countries are experiencing a surge, and I don't think Japan will be an exception. I felt uneasy about the relentless promotion of Go To Travel by the media last month and think this could also be related to the rise in cases.

Most other temperate northern hemisphere countries are experiencing a surge, and I don't think Japan will be an exception. I felt uneasy about the relentless promotion of Go To Travel by the media last month and think this could also be related to the rise in cases.
Yes that's very true. And that's what's happened in Okinawa.

Most other temperate northern hemisphere countries are experiencing a surge, and I don't think Japan will be an exception.

Yes, that's exactly what this article in 'The Nature' seems to confirm:

Infections caused by many respiratory viruses, including influenza and some coronaviruses, swell in winter and drop in summer. [..] But growing evidence suggests that a small seasonal effect will probably contribute to bigger outbreaks in winter, on the basis of what is known about how the virus spreads and how people behave in colder months. People will be interacting more often indoors in places with poor ventilation, which will increase the risk of transmission, says Mauricio Santillana, a mathematician at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, who models disease spread.

Laboratory experiments reveal that SARS-CoV-2 favours cold, dry conditions, particularly out of direct sunlight. For instance, artificial ultraviolet radiation can inactivate SARS-CoV-2 particles on surfaces1 and in aerosols2, especially in temperatures of around 40 °C. The infectious virus also degrades faster on surfaces in warmer and more humid environments3. In winter, people tend to heat their houses to around 20 °C, and the air is dry and not well ventilated, says Dylan Morris, a mathematical biologist at Princeton. "Indoor conditions in the winter are pretty favourable to viral stability."

Source: Why COVID outbreaks look set to worsen this winter

Meanwhile, Hokkaido today reported more than 200 new infections, Tokyo 157.

Actually, a collaboration between Pfizer and German BioNTech. German media claim it as "their vaccine". 😄

Two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose. Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

The panic is starting to increase in Hokkaido. It's still a relatively low number, but as all the windows are being closed and the ventilation gets worse, there's a dark shadow moving across the city... and it's rooted in Susukino.

Toda, infections in Tokyo exceeded 300 for the first time in three months, Osaka has over 250 and Hokkaido almost 200. The trend is all up everywhere:

10 Nov11 Nov
Tokyo293317
Osaka226256
Hokkaido166197
Aichi129
Kanagawa
99​
Saitama67116
Hyogo6070
Chiba4865
Okinawa2536
Miyagi33

Of the 317 cases in Tokyo, 68 patients are in their 30s, followed by 61 in their 20s, 58 in their 40s and 43 in their 50s. Forty people aged 65 or older also tested positive.

Source: New infections in Tokyo top 300; Osaka records daily high of 256 : The Asahi Shimbun

Below: Covid-19 deniers in Shibuya (found on Imgur):

no-mask-no-smile.jpg

Hokkaido is at emergency level 3, which means absolutely nothing but it is scaring people.

It's like looking at a car crash. It's not directly affecting me at all, but I had some students opt for web lessons this week in order not to go out. It's a fear.

I've been relying on the CoronavirusJapan Reddit subforum to follow the numbers, someone there has been reliably posting a daily breakdown for months.
CJ.png

A record number of new cases in Tokyo today (almost 500). It seems like Japan is following the path of other temperate zone countries.

Back
Top Bottom