What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

COVID-19 Coronavirus: situation in Japan

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
A record number of new cases in Tokyo today (almost 500). It seems like Japan is following the path of other temperate zone countries.

Today's numbers have already proven Google's AI-based Covid-10 forecast wrong.

google-covid-forecast-japan-18nov.jpg

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Japan reports record new coronavirus cases for second day in a row

Japan on Thursday logged a record 2,385 new coronavirus cases, marking fresh highs for the second consecutive day as the number of new cases in Tokyo also topped 500 for the first time since the pandemic began. The capital confirmed 534 new cases, marking a record number of daily infections for the second straight day, and the metropolitan government raised its virus alert to the highest of four levels. The level four alert was last in place in the capital on Sept. 10. In addition to Tokyo, seven other prefectures also saw record new cases on Thursday, with Osaka and Hokkaido reporting 338 and 266 new cases, respectively. Daily coronavirus cases across the country surged to 2,203 on Wednesday, topping 2,000 for the first time.

It is unclear what "maximum alert" means, as there seem to be no plans for restrictions or lockdowns. Residents are only urged to "heighten their vigilance".

Other prefectures are seeing increasing numbers of infections, too:

17 Nov18 Nov19 Nov
Tokyo
298​
493​
534​
Osaka
269​
273​
338​
Hokkaido
197​
267​
Aichi
138​
141​
219​
Kanagawa
133​
226​
205​
Hyogo
107​
103​
132​
Chiba
79​
66​
106​
Ibaraki
55​
39​
Okinawa
24​
41​
54​

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
A record number of new cases in Tokyo today (almost 500). It seems like Japan is following the path of other temperate zone countries.
I would go 10 times the amount.people have the symptoms but they realize the prejudices and the stigmatism that comes along with having the coronavirus and they've been or might be feeling they've been pushed aside in society.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
I would go 10 times the amount.people have the symptoms but they realize the prejudices and the stigmatism that comes along with having the coronavirus and they've been or might be feeling they've been pushed aside in society.
Quite possibly. Although the government - or the media, they are interchangeable here - have addressed the problem, there's a section of society that has prejudices against people with health problems, even non-infectious ones such as Fukushima radiation.

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
Government acknowledges that Go To Travel spurred on this wave of corona. I’ve been mad about this campaign since the day it was announced, but felt like a cranky old man. This is a little bit vindicating

Davey

Reaction score
Although I can understand the idea of the "go to campaign", to support the locals. I feel it should be more local instead of having someone from kansai to travel to Hokkaido. So for those who live in the kansai area, kansai spots can have it for them.

Wonder what is going to happen in the upcoming weeks. It is hard for all. For me being a teacher having a class at an international school under a company that doesn't give clear guidelines it's basically up to me to decide. Lots of stress, but we all have.

Mansoor

後輩
Reaction score
I don't want to make people disappointed but I believe using mask and observing social distance can't prevent the malady certainly. Of course something floating on the sea is better than nothing for he who is going to drown!

What can do a thin mask against a virus that is smaller than every particle and is floating in the air?! What effectiveness is in two meters distance between two citizens When the virus can travel 10 meters with a low flow of air?! Moving a car in the street can create such the flow or a ventilator in a station replace a notable volume of air in the place! And wind itself!

These unreliable alternatives (using mask and observing social distance ) seems to make people confident and reduce their anxiety but in fact those are not effective prevention against Covid-19 virus. The virus passes from the thin structure of the normal masks easily. Some medical personnel were infected by the virus while they even used N-99 masks and other preventative equipment!

Of course staying at home is better than all, though the immunization in a house is not 100%. The virus can find its way into the houses as well. For example a member of family can carry the virus into the house or virus can be carried into the house by air flow ( from the neighbor's house)!

I had a recommendation in an Iranian forum that mostly discuss about aviation but nobody paid attention to my word.

I recommended, some transport aircraft such as C-130 spray the disinfectant liquid on the cities (the populous places and central streets and neighborhoods) at low altitude.

This manner of disinfection cover a great area of the cities and also eliminate the floating viruses in the air. It is like a rain that wash the flying viruses and demolish them. Also, the particles of the sprayed disinfectant liquid cover the things and building in a vast area of the cities and don't allow the strayed viruses to remain alive and active.

Such the air disinfection is more effective, easier and faster than handy disinfection on the ground and it cover the air of a city additionally. With this method all the air and ground of the populous area of the cities are disinfected less than an hour.

Doing air disinfection repeatedly during a week can root up the viruses in the area notably and reduce the risk of increasing the number of new patients significantly. Then such the area of the cities can be considered as "white area" and the restriction of traffic can be canceled .

Then the business center, market and shops in the safe area can continue their works!

So based on my idea using aircraft as vehicles that spray disinfectant liquid on the air of central areas of the cities is the best method and thus root up the viruses that are floating in the air or ambushing somewhere on the ground to infect healthy persons.

Last edited:

mdchachi

Reaction score
I don't want to make people disappointed but I believe using mask and observing social distance can't prevent the malady certainly. Of course something floating on the sea is better than nothing for he who is going to drown!

What can do a thin mask against a virus that is smaller than every particle and is floating in the air?! What effectiveness is in two meters distance between two citizens When the virus can travel 10 meters with a low flow of air?! Moving a car in the street can create such the flow or a ventilator in a station replace a notable volume of air in the place! And wind itself!

These unreliable alternatives (using mask and observing social distance ) seems to make people confident and reduce their anxiety but in fact those are not effective prevention against Covid-19 virus. The virus passes from the thin structure of the normal masks easily. Some medical personnel were infected by the virus while they even used N-99 masks and other preventative equipment!

Of course staying at home is better than all, though the immunization in a house is not 100%. The virus can find its way into the houses as well. For example a member of family can carry the virus into the house or virus can be carried into the house by air flow ( from the neighbor's house)!

I had a recommendation in an Iranian forum that mostly discuss about aviation but nobody paid attention to my word.

I recommended, some transport aircraft such as C-130 spray the disinfectant liquid on the cities (the populous places and central streets and neighborhoods) at low altitude.

This manner of disinfection cover a great area of the cities and also eliminate the floating viruses in the air. It is like a rain that wash the flying viruses and demolish them. Also, the particles of the sprayed disinfectant liquid cover the things and building in a vast area of the cities and don't allow the strayed viruses to remain alive and active.

Such the air disinfection is more effective, easier and faster than handy disinfection on the ground and it cover the air of a city additionally. With this method all the air and ground of the populous area of the cities are disinfected less than an hour.

Doing air disinfection repeatedly during a week can root up the viruses in the area notably and reduce the risk of increasing the number of new patients significantly. Then such the area of the cities can be considered as "white area" and the restriction of traffic can be canceled .

Then the business center, market and shops in the safe area can continue their works!

So based on my idea using aircraft as vehicles that spray disinfectant liquid on the air of central areas of the cities is the best method and thus root up the viruses that are floating in the air or ambushing somewhere on the ground to infect healthy persons.
Masks and distancing are a mitigation method, not absolute prevention.

Your idea is not practical because most transmission occurs indoors in places with poor ventilation. Also the efficacy of surface disinfection for an airborne disease questionable.

Furthermore the health aspects of spraying disinfectant where people reside and would breathe it in would need to be considered.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score

I agree. Unless one is wearing an eye shield and an N 95 mask, the pollen and dust mask one is wearing is useless if someone has the virus/flu and coughs at you, you are going to get zapped. Just my opinion .

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
During the second wave in the summer, most clusters occurred in nighttime entertainment districts. Now, clusters have been detected in a variety of places, including medical institutions, workplaces and foreign communities.

Were "foreign communities" not affected in the first two waves?

Top Bottom