What's new

cooking with hot water!

Goldiegirl

先輩
10 Aug 2006
I am writing this as I sit in my hotel room and have come to the conclusion that you can cook really quite well while only using the hot water maker in your hotel room. I have made both hard and soft boiled eggs. I prefer hard boiled, but the first time they turned out like rubber super balls, I leaned that 45 minutes is ideal for hard and about 20 minutes for soft boiled eggs. I have squirted soy sauce into the pitcher and heated veggies and tofu in it..frozen vegetables work best as they cook softer faster. I had that today. mmm really good. Of course you use the hot water to make any variety of instant soups and noodles.🍜 So does anybody have any other ideas on what to cook with just your hot water maker? I am a vegetarian ( but I can eat chicken, beef boullion/clear soup base...not fish ick!) and would like to try something new and or fun to just see if it works! Oh, you can heat up your hot lemon or coffee when it gets cold! That's not really cooking, but it works! :)

hehe thats very funny this is a very rare thread lol!! I don't have any other ideas what to boil/cook anymore you said allready thr things i wanted to mention :p

I've always been too afraid to put things IN mine... but it's a lifesaver for me, because in a few minutes at best, I can have boiling water for miso & green tea.

Mine just boils water though, flip the switch, receive boiling water. End of transaction. ;)

Yeah, desparation sometimes can bring you some crafty idea.😊

When I was a student living in a dorm where there was no kitchen and cafeteria food wasn't the greatest, I used my hot water maker to cook pasta. My friends from Korea were using it to make one of their traditional dish with wide noodles in the soup.

I know it was not a very good idea to use the hot water maker to cook foods in it, especially if you want to make water for tea, but I was really desparate, too.:(

Well done, another way of saving money. Now I don't have to buy a cooker, grill, kettle, microwave, and maybe even a toaster.

Don't take the micky out of me, I like moist toast (although maybe not that wet....)

I have to get a Hot Water maker. :D

A big hot pot party
I am afraid this may cause you feel extremely lonely, but buy kelp tea, tofu and some veggies which are easily heated such as Mizuna.

Tear tofu and veggeies by the hand.
Heat them in the kelp tea.
Eat it with ponzu sauce.

You should buy a bottle of kelp ponzu if you're a veggie.

ponzu sauce...something new. I'll have to try it! Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know how it goes! :) Oh, why will I feel lonley? Just wondering. I mean I feel lonely here a little already...

It is not usual to do a hot pot party alone.
Probably many people are surprised and interested to hear you cook a pot dish with a small hot water maker .
Keep cooking.

Hi Hiroyuki Nagashima! That's the spirit, you could try your recipe and then let us all know how it turned out! :) I don't know what Chawanmushi is, but eggs are good and so are vegetables. :)

you could heat up canned foods like ravioli or beans whilst they're still in the can. i used to do that when i went camping near some hot springs as a kid. also ya may want to shake the can every now and again so it doesn't have cold spots.

Great idea with heating the cans. I something similar with the hot lemon drink...I just floated it in the hot water. I was thinking that you could heat up really any pre-cooked meat as well...like hot dogs....

Oh, yes! That reminds me of those pre-cooked sauces in a heat-resistant pouch they sell in Japan, like curry, pasta, some Chinese food; I have a feeling that they have even more variety and healthier versions without full of additives. All you need to cook them is to drop in the hot water.

Hmm, sounds interesting! I would, however, suggest you use a kettle with a flat bottom in it (where the element it under a sheet of steel and therefore seperated from the water) as they are easier to clean.

Back
Top Bottom