What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Why do they serve water in Japanese restaurants?

Yurii

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I simplified the title a bit. I'm in Thailand now. And I've found a Japanese restaurant there, which I frequent lately. And the thing is when I come the first thing they do is bring a glass of water with ice, and a thing with even more water (a big plastic glass with a handle?) So I wonder if there's any etiquette involved with this thing. Do I drink it before, during, or after a meal? If serving water right away is a Japanese thing to do, that is.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
It is called ohiya and it's free of charge, usually just tap water. There is no special etiquette involved.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
serving ice water as a service is common in the US as well. Places that are more conscious of their water use will ask first or wait to be asked before bringing out water

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
It's a very good custom that the British should adopt. If you don't specifically ask for tap water at a restaurant in Britain, you'll get bottled water at a stupid price.

madphysicist

先輩
Reaction score
It's a very good custom that the British should adopt. If you don't specifically ask for tap water at a restaurant in Britain, you'll get bottled water at a stupid price.
?? That has literally never happened to me and I always ask for water. If they tried that on me I'd send it back and refuse to pay.

In some countries they won't give you tap water even if you ask for it. Very glad Japan isn't one of those.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
?? That has literally never happened to me and I always ask for water. If they tried that on me I'd send it back and refuse to pay.

In some countries they won't give you tap water even if you ask for it. Very glad Japan isn't one of those.
Happened to me in the aptly named Wagamama restaurant in Manchester when I was visiting my folks and Mrs Lothor had a hankering for some ramen!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom