What's new

Japanese Cooking 101 - Oyakodon

Ewok85

先輩
14 Nov 2003
Poking around in here for some recipes there seems to be a few things missing, so I think its time to fill in the gaps! 👍

Oyakodon is one of the staples of Japanese cooking, a favorite with children and parents alike. The name translates to parent and child (ツ親ナスqヒ慊・), reflecting that it contains both chicken and egg.

For 2 Servings you'll need -
2 Cup Rice
2 Chicken thigh
1/2 Onion
1 Cup Stock (dashi)
5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp Mirin
2 Eggs

My rice cooker takes forever so I normally do this first. Then cut the chicken into bite-size chunks and slice up the onion.

If you dont have any dashi, we can make it now. Put a little over a cup of water into a medium sized pan and heat it up just to the boiling point. Then add in 1/8 cup of katsuobushi (dry bonito flakes). Give it a stir, leave it for a few minutes then strain the flakes out and put the water (which is now stock or dashi) back into the pan.

Add the soy, sugar and mirin into the pan and give it a mix. Then put the chicken in and let it simmer for a few minutes. Once the chicken has cooked a little add in the onion and let it simmer again. While were waiting for that whisk the eggs up.

Once the onion looks like its softened up, turn the heat up until its boiling and pour the egg into the pan, trying to keep it together on top of the other ingredients. Give it a few moments then turn the heat back down, put a lid on the pan. After about a minute turn the heat off all together.

The rice should be cooked by now, so put it into two deep bowls. Then get your chicken/egg creation and place it on top of the rice, adding dashi to suit your taste!

There you have it, Oyakodon. Now if you thought that was simple, heres the good part. Replace the chicken with say Tonkatsu (fried pork cutlets) and you have Katsudon! Use Beef and dont add egg you have Gyudon. 🙂

Besides the "chicken and egg" oyakodon in Hokkaido and other places in Japan oyakodon is "ikura and salmon" which is delicious as well. :)

Sounds good Ewok. I'll have to give it a go. One of the things I found about living in Tokyo was that I hardly ever cooked for myself because it was so cheap to eat out there. It was hardly worth cooking (I mean in terms of economy).

By the way Ewok, you know I used to live in Adelaide and went to University there? Small world.

You serious? Wow, I'm constantly surprised by those sorts of things :p Which Uni did you go to? I was at Flinders and Adelaide for about a year in 2004.

Hachiro said:
Besides the "chicken and egg" oyakodon in Hokkaido and other places in Japan oyakodon is "ikura and salmon" which is delicious as well. :)
Not quite, information here: Link

Back
Top Bottom