What's new

Christianity in Japan

I think Christianity in Japan or at least Tokyo is run like a business.

Christian churches set up shop in the richest neighborhoods--Daikanyama, Omotesando, Ginza, Ebisu, etc.--

send out their salesforce to go door to door (and they are persistent) to get more clientele,

then have their clientele pay a good percentage of their income. (10% is what Hollywood agents charge their clients.)

And, maybe it's not an organized thing but, resort to unseemly tactics like product placement of Christian symbolism (totally unnecessary to the plot) in a great many trendy dramas and movies. I guess this is target marketing of the young generation because older people are more resistant.

Product Placement

Christian product placement in youth targeted drama has reached the blatant point. Every season there is some drama aimed at young people with some reference to Christianity. It's done mostly with dramas featuring the current top stars with top singers singing the theme songs so it's not cheap. But is it decent? ☝ I don't think so. It's as disgusting as the cigarette companies that use the same tactic.

This season's drama is "Innocent Love" with Utada Hikaru singing the theme song. I thought the Christian Church would be above doing this. It's acting just like a cigarette company. What's next, subliminal advertising? :eek:
You can even see this tactic in movies but the movies usually flop.

Here is another Japanese Christian's opinion

Hello,
Sorry that I didn't have time reading all the comments posted. (I read some earlier ones.)But at least I wanna mention my response to some toics discussed and my view of Christianity in Japan.
No need to mention, we cannot make a category of "Japanese Christians" at all, for all individuals (regardless of their nationality) who call themselves Christians are different. We cannot easily say, "Well, Japanese Christians are fanatic" (I witnessed some fanatic Japanese Christians, but hey, fanatics are everywhere in this world.)
I began believing in Jesus because it's personal.
As some so-called intellectual people dislike any kinds religious organization, I hate religions too. It is difficult to talk with people who cannot distinguish "having personal faith in God (or gods)" and "belonging to a religious organization."
Please try giving your thoughts on differetiating those people who call themselves Christians just becasue they go to church on Easter and Christmas, and people who really try giving their heart to love God and others on daily basis.
Anyway,
About the relation of Education and Religion in Japan,
has anyone mentioned that most of the prestigeous universites in Japan are built on Christian principles? Tokyo Univ., Waseda, Rikkyo, Keio, etc...all the top ones are buid by early Japanese Christian scholars.
Though it is rare to see people recognize that, it is not fare to deny the positive influence of Bible in Japanese education.
Those forefathers who had the vision of spreading the good words to people built the great universities. As a result, education in Japan was flurinshed and the nation became one of the strongest nations in Asia.
And of course, Buddhism, Shintoism, and Confusianism have great influence in our mind too. But this is more like what we grow up on, and is not what we chose to believe.
...I'm finding it just difficult to talk about Christianity in Japan.
Let's say, it is important to respect people's choice. Whether a person believes in some established philosophy, including organized religions, or not, all people have right to pursue what they believe and present what they believe right in a manner that does not force other people to believe in something.
I know my friends who share the same faith in Jesus with me are not perfect, but loving and diligent in living.
Number of Christians in Japan are increasing as four people in my church gave their heart to Jesus last week. Many say that they are touched by the love of God. Love may be the word that easily describe what the modern Japanese society is needy of. And many people are finding it in Jesus.
Okay...forgive me for my incoherrent comment.
The topic is too sensitive....

hello all,
i wish i could hear Japanese songs about Jesus. i have a lot songs of Vietname Chiristians but i could not post here.

I'm surprised Hosana, Bill Gaither's empire or whomever else hasn't capitalised on whatever hybrid Christian hymnal or musical tradition sprung up in Japan, they did pretty well with rejoice Africa and the various Philippine records.

After all, Japan isn't exactly deprived as to need foreign investment in the matter financially, but may not have the people to justify it :|

Ancient of Days would sound [censored] awesome on taiko drums >.>

Last edited:
I talked to a Moslem guy before, he said religion is just like fashion in Japan. Sort of an adopted way of life, but on really a profession of Faith. I haven't met many religious Japanese myself, so I sort of agree with him.
ax

When i came to japan for educational tour and had a chance to meet my fellow Soka Gakkai Buddhist youth there in one occasion, i am a little suprized that they wearing necklace with cross of Christ but it seems like they are sort of fashion...so i agree as well...

The reason why not much of the Japanese believe in God is because religion doesn't really matter to them. Most of the Japanese have no religion, or they are Buddists. Unlike Japan, Korea is mostly Christian, and they take religion too..seriously.

And china is communist, so they believe in their old religion and practice polytheism.

Thank you for digging up a dead thread and adding....well....nothing, really

From what I understand, Christianity was more or less purged from Japan after the unification under the Tokugawa shogunate. Tens of thousands of christians were massacred in Kyushu and the remainder lived for several hundred years as a sort of outcasts in Nagasaki, the women being prostitutes selling themselves to chinese as well as westerners.

It's a shame this disgusting religion has once again gained a strong standing in Asia. Any nation which will purge Christianity, Judaism and Islam is a decent nation.

I personally wouldn't help a pregnant christian, jewish or muslim woman, assuming I knew she was a follower of one of those religions, even if I witnessed her being hit by a drunk driver escaping the scene.

I personally wouldn't help a pregnant christian, jewish or muslim woman, assuming I knew she was a follower of one of those religions, even if I witnessed her being hit by a drunk driver escaping the scene.

Not really surprising, coming from someone who rather saved his hamster than his sister.

Anyhow, you are welcome to discuss the topic in a civil manner free of vitriol and bashing. Any venomous posts will be removed without further notice.

Back
Top Bottom