What's new

China to lift import ban on Japanese rice

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Seems that things are getting a lot better between Japan and China, since Abe has become PM.

China to lift import ban on Japanese rice

01/19/2007
THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

BEIJING--China on Thursday agreed in principle to lift its import ban on Japanese rice, in place since 2003, Japanese government officials said.

The agreement came during a meeting of visiting Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Toshikatsu Matsuoka and a top Chinese quarantine official. The two countries will decide on when to resume imports before a visit to Japan by Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, scheduled for April, according to the farm ministry.

In February 2003, China revised its quarantine system and banned imports of Japanese rice, citing the risk of harmful insect pests. Japan's rice exports to China amounted to just one ton in 2000. Still, Japan is expecting China's decision to resume rice imports to give a momentum to the government's drive to expand exports of farm produce.

yeah, it's a good sign that both former arch-rivals can finally approach each other again. The relationship between China and Japan has been like a rollercoaster somehow, depending on the leadership of one era.

Like Hideo Kojima one says in MGS3: There is no timeless enemy...todays friend can turn into your enemy tomorrow (and reversed too of course)

Has the US's drive to force the American rice import into Japan been successful? This was a hot topic several years ago but I have since lost track of it. So maybe this will create another outlet for the Japanese rice farmers. But from what I've seen in the supermarkets here in Japan, there are already many, many food products imported from China.

But from what I've seen in the supermarkets here in Japan, there are already many, many food products imported from China.

This is about Japanese rice that are being exported to China, not chinese rice imported into Japan.

Sorry, I mean this import of Japanes rice to China will create a bilateral trade of farm products. I remembered watched a news story several months ago about Japanese rice farmers/exporters setting up promotional boothes in supermarkets in China and seems like all the customers liked the taste of Japanese rice over the local rice. So the Japanese rice farmers/exporters have already done extensive homeworks in Chinese market for product acceptance. But even more suprising news to me was that Japanese are introducing better rice farming techniques to Chinese rice farmers(not for free of course). So Japan is not only selling rice but farming techniques as well.

Back
Top Bottom