What's new

Cheap places to stay in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima

nadnerb

後輩
12 Apr 2004
Hi

myself and 2 friends will be travelling to Japan at the end of June.

we have been looking for cheap places to stay and found these:

Tokyo
New Koyo
Andon Ryokan

Osaka
Hotel Escargot

Kyoto
Budget Inn
Tour Club

Hiroshima
none yet :(

So what im asking is if anyone has stayed at any of these places.
Do you recommend them? whats the area like etc etc.

Id also appreciate it if someone could recommend somewhere cheap (less than ツ・4,000) places to stay in Hiroshima (or the other cities)

thanks.
i'm not sure if Youth Hostels are practical for us though.
We will be taking a fair bit of luggage with us, too much to carry around all day.
I think we are looking for Ryokans/hotels, somewhere where we can leave our luggage.

can leave luggage in youth hostels
they give out a key, and pay the deposit back when it's returned.
i have stayed at yoyogi three or four times i think

i have stayed at new koyo twice, liked it a lot
the staff's english is excellent

hotel new azuma
taito ryokan
suzuki ryokan -- japanese ability needed, but a beautiful natural-style (green astro turf carpet)ryokan
hotel __kudaya

Budd...

Couldn't stay at the place you recommended last time; it was booked!
There's always next time. Jesus, and I called 2 weeks in advance, but it was spring break...

Anyways, I stayed at a place called Hotel Amisuta in Asagaya, just 3 stops from Shinjuku. Very reasonable rates for top-notch rooms, but expensive for backpackers. ( Bout' 60 bucks a night, my Board of Edu. paid for it, business trip. Btw, you get a nice view of Fuji-san and Shinjuku.) I can post the number if you can't find a website for it.

The cheapest way to stay? Sleep in train stations!

Wow! The New Koyo in Tokyo (Y2500) is even cheaper than most youth hostels which are usually about Y3000!

a bit offtopic but i must say.. i am LOVING this avatar =D
nono.jpg

someone you know or just a random pic?

okay, when studying the map
ttp://www.newkoyo.jp/map.html

use minami-senju 南千住 exit, forget about minowa 三ノ輪 exit
first time to new koyo, got lost (just walking from the station!) in the hard drizzle during november :(
i was too cheap to buy an umbrella, serves me right

with minami-senju 南千住 [take south exit -- should be natural from ueno ime], just go up the bike ramp/stairs past the bus station and the bridge -- start looking for the 7-11 and then the lawsons, and that's it

oh yeah, minami in minami-senju (南千住) is south
kita in kita-senju (北千住) is north
they are distanced a bit apart, so it's good to know -- memorize the kanji
(a lot of subway maps are still kanji only -- look at the red dot -- "oh i'm here?" then look for the kanji -- "and i need to go there")
is my suggestion...

here is hibiya line
ttp://westjapan.zero-yen.com/tokyosubway/HibiyaLine/index.html

joban line is a little cheaper imo
ttp://jreastjapan.fc2web.com/JobanLine/

ttp://bojyou.kdn.jp/img/kamemap.htm
ttp://bojyou.kdn.jp/img/mina/mina1.htm

should come out here, then go up and over
ttp://bojyou.kdn.jp/img/mina/mina1-3b.jpg
this train yard
ttp://bojyou.kdn.jp/img/mina/mina1-4b.jpg

if coming out through joban line (main exit?), don't panic

just walk out, keeping to the left -- it's a lot of construction around here
will run into that same bike ramp that was mentioned earlier
i will look and see if i can find a pic of the koban in a bt

incidentally page 2
ttp://bojyou.kdn.jp/img/mina/mina2.htm
is sumidagawa (close by), can see some of the homes with the blue tarps in there

ttp://www.juyoh.co.jp/document/japanese/koutuu.html
ok, check this out
ttp://www.juyoh.co.jp/images/areamap1.gif
this is EXACTLY the way i remember it
thanks for the exercise! me learned some new stuff in the process :)

Cheap places in Osaka

Hi, I am Japanese but I just recently came here but I have been living in America all my life. I have a friend coming from the US...and my friend wants to visit me.
So, I was wondering if there are any cheap hotels or Ryokan inns in Osaka, Japan. The price around 2000 yen. Preferably in Mino or Shonai or Toyonaka. But he just wants to stay in a cheap hotel (just to sleep and take a shower and thats it). I don't know this area too much.
I would be appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

well i havent stayed in them buddy, but for hiroshima, go to club tocco website. The link is in my sig.
Best on web by farrrrr

nadnerb said:
Hi

myself and 2 friends will be travelling to Japan at the end of June.

we have been looking for cheap places to stay and found these:

Tokyo
New Koyo
Andon Ryokan

Osaka
Hotel Escargot

Kyoto
Budget Inn
Tour Club

Hiroshima
none yet :(

So what im asking is if anyone has stayed at any of these places.
Do you recommend them? whats the area like etc etc.

Id also appreciate it if someone could recommend somewhere cheap (less than ツ・4,000) places to stay in Hiroshima (or the other cities)

ok, i'll answer my own questions :p
i've been to Japan twice since i last posted.

Andon is awesome!
a very nice place, very clean with good facilities.
New Koyo is ok if you cant afford to stay at Andon.
they are both in the same area of Tokyo, 30mins or so from Shibuya/Shinjuku.

Hotel Escargot is horrible, im sure we were the only people 'staying' there, the rest were homeless Japanese men living/washing there because its so cheap.
the area was disgusting, the only place in Japan where i felt unsafe, although we didnt have any trouble.
basically its bum town, people sleeping/urinating in the street.
just not very nice.

Budget Inn was very nice, in a great location.

i'd reccomend all of the above places to stay, except Hotel Escargot in Osaka, unless you are feeling brave or on a VERY tight budget. :p

nadnerb said:
Hotel Escargot is horrible, im sure we were the only people 'staying' there, the rest were homeless Japanese men living/washing there because its so cheap.

i'd reccomend all of the above places to stay, except Hotel Escargot in Osaka, unless you are feeling brave or on a VERY tight budget. :p

Well, with a name like Hotel Escargot (Hotel Snail), that should give you a clue on the quality of the place. :131:

Hotel Escargot... ha ha ha
Yes, ArmandV.
Lots of even cheaper places to stay in that neighborhood.

If you don't mind run down it's all right.
And believe me, I am stretching the expression "run down" to pretty much the furthest of the limits of the imagination for Japan.

As for the neighborhood, run down. Lots (read hundreds - thousands if you extend the definition of "neighborhood") These guys started blossoming after the expo 30 years back, transient construction workers.
You can, on the other hand, find one tatami rooms for even cheaper. If you chat up some of the homeless guys they might even help show you places for 800 yen a night. Generally the smell of the tenant that died no longer lingers. Enjoy the smell of cinamon.

You will be the only tourists.

But it will be a very interesting experience. Definitely a new perspective, nothing what you envisioned Japan to be. I seriously recommend it for at least one night just to get a unique experience.

Women cruising alone at night might want to give the place a miss. Only one guy ever challenged me to a fight for no reason there, it is still Japan after all.

man, that hotel $20 a naight!!!
some crybabies wanting breakfast and a butler in here
it's $20 IN JAPAN.

If you do stay in Hotel Escargot, make sure to check out the line of hundreds of the down and out lining up every morning hoping to get a job day laboring. It's right across from ShinImamiya station. And be sure to walk parallel to the tracks before noon to check out the thieves market, though the goods weren't stolen, just taken from the garbage. Also, "Festival Gate" is worth a half hour if you like roller coasters, it's a roller coaster and other rides on top of a shopping center.
The area has the highest rate of tuberculosis of any in developed countries. Hard to capture this fact on film though. But you might get some pics of phlegmy spit on the ground or en route to.
The burned out cars and smashed up windshields are photogenic if you can catch them with light from the morning sun glistening off.
It's easy to make friends in the neighborhood. Just bring a plastic 4L bottle of shochu. You will probably then be able to attend the cookouts.

If you do stay in Hotel Escargot, make sure to check out the line of hundreds of the down and out lining up every morning hoping to get a job day laboring. It's right across from ShinImamiya station. And be sure to walk parallel to the tracks before noon to check out the thieves market, though the goods weren't stolen, just taken from the garbage. Also, "Festival Gate" is worth a half hour if you like roller coasters, it's a roller coaster and other rides on top of a shopping center.
The area has the highest rate of tuberculosis of any in developed countries. Hard to capture this fact on film though. But you might get some pics of phlegmy spit on the ground or en route to.
The burned out cars and smashed up windshields are photogenic if you can catch them with light from the morning sun glistening off.
It's easy to make friends in the neighborhood. Just bring a plastic 4L bottle of shochu. You will probably then be able to attend the cookouts.

I'm not quite sure why, but this post really pissed me off. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, in which case, forgive me. Yeah, just bring sake and you'll make friends with everyone. Because every homeless person there is an alcoholic, right? Their so desperate they'd take booze from anyone, right? That's what it is, a filthy neighborhood filled with dirty people. Easy to criticize, am I right?

You should stop and take a moment to think before you judge people. If you like, I can arrange it so you can volunteer in a soup kitchen nearby in Tobita.

Back
Top Bottom