What's new

Cheap place to stay in Narita/Tokyo?

Sr Pasta

先輩
30 Nov 2004
I'll be staying two nights in Tokyo next week, and I'm not sure where to find a cheap hotel or something.

Since I arrive at Narita Airport, and only have one errand to to in central Tokyo, I'm thinking it might be easiest to find a place in Narita (I've got the impression that Narita is a suburb close to the airport). Is it cumbersome to get into central Tokyo? Is there anything to see close to Narita?

I'm not sure where to start looking for a hotel, and what there is to choose from. I think I'll leave the tube hotels for my next visit to Tokyo, because of the jet lag... Are there any other cheap alternatives?

In narita there is Narita temple, and some stores,restaurants...causy town. :) When I was passing trough on my way to Sapporo I stayed there 1 day...maybe you should google some on places to stay in Narita 👍

Sr Pasta said:
I'll be staying two nights in Tokyo next week, and I'm not sure where to find a cheap hotel or something.

Since I arrive at Narita Airport, and only have one errand to to in central Tokyo, I'm thinking it might be easiest to find a place in Narita (I've got the impression that Narita is a suburb close to the airport). Is it cumbersome to get into central Tokyo? Is there anything to see close to Narita?

I'm not sure where to start looking for a hotel, and what there is to choose from. I think I'll leave the tube hotels for my next visit to Tokyo, because of the jet lag... Are there any other cheap alternatives?

Staying in Narita would be cheaper than in Tokyo proper, IF you are taking a flight again out of Narita. Travel to central Tokyo will take 2 to 2.5 hours one way by train (Narita Express or Seikei Skyliner) or airport limosine bus. Transportation cost about 3000 yen one way--I think.

If you plan to stay in the Narita area, I did a check on the Web for offerings under 10,000 yen per night and came up with one: Hotel Sky Court Narita
楽天トラベル: スカイハートホテル成田 宿泊予約

You can make a reservation on the Web but it's only in Japanese. 😌
Maybe you can call or fax them. 😌

Hope it helps!

Sr Pasta,

Reading your other thread, I understand that you are planning to travel further to Kyoto after arriving in Narita. In that case, I recommend you stay at the Minami-senju place (3000-3200 yen) that Nagashima-san recommends. It is highly convenient to get around Tokyo and later head on to the Shinkansen trains at Tokyo Station to travel to Kyoto.

Have fun!

Thank you both very very much! Now I'm starting to get a clue. I hadn't understood that Narita was so far from Tokyo.

March 29: Arrive at Narita airport in the morning. Find the Minami-senju place! I am right that this is a guide to finding it, starting from a station called Minami-Senju? http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~fukusen/trans.html

March 30: Going in to central Tokyo for an errand. Back to Narita again after that? Or maybe I should take that nighttime bus Nagashima-san mentioned earlier? I have accommodation in Kyoto from March 31st.

March 30: Going in to central Tokyo for an errand. Back to Narita again after that? Or maybe I should take that nighttime bus Nagashima-san mentioned earlier? I have accommodation in Kyoto from March 31st.
It depends how late you need to get back to Narita, it isn't on the way to Kyoto of course. The last Narita Express train from Tokyo, Shinjuku or Shinagawa leaves around 7:45 I believe and the Seikei line is probably about the same. Both of which are 50 min-1 hr at a cost of 1000-3000 yen.

Narita is a place in Chiba Prefecture, adjoining Tokyo proper. It is just a suburban town with an international airport. All domestic travel begins in Tokyo, not Narita.

The starting point for travel to Kyoto is Tokyo Station for trains and also for long-distance buses. There should be nighttime buses bound for Kyoto departing from there. You can check that out at Tokyo Station, after you settle down at your hotel. I think there is a tourist information service at the station.
The map for the hotel is here: http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~fukusen/map.html
You can print this out to find your way in Minami Senju by showing it to passers-by or railway station employees.

Is your return flight home from Narita or from Kansai International Airport in the Osaka area? If you are leaving Japan out of Kansai International, you won't have the chance to ride the Shinkansen train (between Tokyo and Kyoto). So, you have to take that into consideration when you choose between bus and Shinkansen. Shinkansen may be more expensive, but it will get you to Kyoto in about 2 hours if you take the Nozomi (the superexpress Shinkansen train), I think. FYI, the bus trip to Kyoto takes about 7 hours.ツ Bus costs about 5,000 yen (depends on bus company) & Shinkansen about 14,000 yen one-way.

Hope this helps! Hope your stay in Japan is fun and exciting for you!

Gomen for my ignorance, but are Japanese hotels (and other types of accomodation) strict on the number of persons occupying a room ? Say there are five people occupying a single room, would the establishment charge extra or the room rate remains the same (excluding extra beds, etc) ? Thanks

quite strict. you will most likely pay extra per person.

Though it's not unheard of for one person to check in alone and later others sneak in. Especially foreigners, where the receptionist might not want to say anything. 5 people might be a few too many though.

thus making it harder for other foreign people to stay at that hotel in the future :(

If you have contact information on various hotels and inns, you ought to just give them a call.

How does one know that the subway line he would be taking is the right one ? I remember that subway stations in Tokyo are multi-level, to accomodate the different lines. I just can't recall now if each level has a "name". I just remember paying for a Tokto Metro ticket and trying to get into an Eidan line. :)

In the end, I went for a cheap business hotel in Ikebukuro, mostly chosen by random. Second time I asked a cab driver at Tokyo station to drive to a capsule hotel, and it was far better for the same price (4000 yen).

A link of a Japanese cheap inn
KyotoFashion.com is available at DomainMarket.com
A cheap inn near to Narita
The budget accommodation where is next station to Tokyo Narita Airport. Hotel(Hostel) for Backpackers and Traveler's in Japan.
The inn which is recommended in Tokyo 👍
Narita - Nippori - Minamisenju
It is convenient to go to the downtown area because there is a station of subway Hibiya Line.
A night 3000 yen - 3200 yen
http://www11.ocn.ne.jp/~fukusen/
Sorry I am not able to read Japanese on this computer. So are most low end Japanese business hotels basically like sleeping in a hallway on a futon with a cup of tea and yukata ? The only other amenity absolutely positively non negotiable is room television. Telephone, bath, cooking facilities etc for 3000 a night I'm more than willing to share. 😌

Because this would be next week in either Sapporo or Takamatsu any general advice/information on the conditions or general atmosphere from someone who has stayed in a no frills (non-hostel) hotel would be very appreciated.

Sorry I am not able to read Japanese on this computer. So are most low end Japanese business hotels basically like sleeping in a hallway on a futon with a cup of tea and yukata ? The only other amenity absolutely positively non negotiable is room television. Telephone, bath, cooking facilities etc for 3000 a night I'm more than willing to share. 😌
Because this would be next week in either Sapporo or Takamatsu any general advice/information on the conditions or general atmosphere from someone who has stayed in a no frills (non-hostel) hotel would be very appreciated.

I've stayed at several business hotels in different cities (Tokyo, Nagasaki, Sasebo and Fukuoka) and they're all basically the same. Smallish room with a bed, a desk with television, phone, tea service and a modular bathroom. Oh, yes -- a chair and small refrigerator/freezer! The rooms aren't exactly designed for entertaining guests but they are functional enough and good enough to hang your hat for the night.

Unless you are claustrophobic, they are sufficient enough.

Back
Top Bottom