What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Can you help me translate this please?

SpicyLemon45

Registered
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me the meaning of the writing in both pictures? I believe the second image says "driven," (in English) but it also looks like it could have another (similar or same I presume) kanji meaning. Thanks!

Attachments

• kanji_1.png
    kanji_1.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 15
  • kanji_2.png
    kanji_2.png
    125 KB · Views: 14

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It looks like katakana "wa", "e" or "mo" in the second picture, but it doesn't make sense at all. The first one is neither kana nor kanji.

SpicyLemon45

Registered
Reaction score
Cool
It looks like katakana "wa", "e" or "mo" in the second picture, but it doesn't make sense at all. The first one is neither kana nor kanji.
Cool Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty sure they second image says "driven" in English since the clothing article is called "Black Snake Rose Driven Graphic Windbreaker." The first image is probably a logo of some sort then since you say you don't' recognize it.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
The first one could be a logo combining Chinese characters such as 广, 庁, or 㡰 with 七 or 乇
Just looking at it though it's hard to tell what it's supposed to be.

The second one is just English, it's an "Asian" font designed to look like Japanese. This one is called Electroharmonix
1636751873359.png

Even the font creator is embarrassed by it:
When I created Electroharmonix 15 years ago, I never dreamed that I'd eventually move to Japan and have to learn to read and write Japanese. Now that I can read this stuff, I can see how badly I mangled those Japanese characters. I've redrawn everything a little bolder with an attempt to at least sort-of follow the drawing rules of katakana and kanji. This time there's no hiragana mixed in; strictly katakana, and a few kanji. Of course, I still had to bend, flip and twist it to try to make it look like an alphabet.

Last edited:

mdchachi

Reaction score
I can see the DRIVEN as well. I wonder if that's an actual font. The characters are meaningless but are made to look Japanese-like.
Even the font creator is embarrassed by it:
Maybe not any more. This is the improved version.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe not any more. This is the improved version.
well, WAS embarrassed, at least. It's still kinda goofy to me because I keep trying to read the Japanese which is just gibberish

SpicyLemon45

Registered
Reaction score
well, WAS embarrassed, at least. It's still kinda goofy to me because I keep trying to read the Japanese which is just gibberish
Haha I feel that. I thought it was Japanese too at first and I don't even speak Japanese. Personally I like it, but my taste is trash anyways lol. Regardless, thanks for all the information, pretty insightful!

Top Bottom