What's new

Can we omit the って without changing the meaning here?

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
「ただまあ、彼はまさにいま人生を棒に振っちゃってるわけでして」
刑事はしゃがみ込む。目を細めて柱を見ている。
「そこまでして会いたい子がいるってのは、私なんかにゃ、なんだか羨ましい気もしますな」

Hi. Can we omit the って in red without changing the meaning here? If not, does it have any nuance? I don't know というのは can express emotions. I only know it is used to give definitions.
Thank you.

Well, explanation/definition is not a good explanation. As you would know, one of the main function of "A って/という B" is to explain that A is the characteristic/attribute (属性) of B, so っての/というの has a nuance to that the clause is talking about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general, something like "things like~". If って/という isn't there, it's just about そこまでして会いたい子がいるの/こと. The difference is subtle (or very delicate) and hard to explain, though.

Thank you. I see.
so っての/というの has a nuance to that the clause is talking about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general, something like "things like~"
Do you mean なんだか羨ましい気もしますな is just a characteristic/an attribute of そこまでして会いたい子がいる?

Not really. I was talking about the difference between そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの vs. そこまでして会いたい子がいるの.

so っての/というの has a nuance to that the clause is talking about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general, something like "things like~".
Thank you. So by "clause" you mean そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの and "preceding" is for "precede the って/というの". So do you mean that そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの talks about the characteristic/attribute (in general) of the fact that there is someone who he wants to see while そこまでして会いたい子がいるの is just stating the fact that there is someone who he wants to see?

Last edited:
Oh, sorry, seems to be failed to edit my post. I meant "a nuance to talk about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general."

So do you mean that そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの talks about the characteristic/attribute (in general) of the fact that there is someone who he wants to see while そこまでして会いたい子がいるの is just stating the fact that there is someone who he wants to see?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom