What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Can we omit the って without changing the meaning here?

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
「ただまあ、彼はまさにいま人生を棒に振っちゃってるわけでして」
刑事はしゃがみ込む。目を細めて柱を見ている。
「そこまでして会いたい子がいるってのは、私なんかにゃ、なんだか羨ましい気もしますな」

Hi. Can we omit the って in red without changing the meaning here? If not, does it have any nuance? I don’t know というのは can express emotions. I only know it is used to give definitions.
Thank you.

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you.
It's not for emotion but for explanation/definition also there.
But why is なんだか羨ましい気もしますな considered as explanation/definition? Isn’t it “I feel kind of envious”?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Well, explanation/definition is not a good explanation. As you would know, one of the main function of "A って/という B" is to explain that A is the characteristic/attribute (属性) of B, so っての/というの has a nuance to that the clause is talking about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general, something like "things like~". If って/という isn't there, it's just about そこまでして会いたい子がいるの/こと. The difference is subtle (or very delicate) and hard to explain, though.

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you. I see.
so っての/というの has a nuance to that the clause is talking about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general, something like "things like~"
Do you mean なんだか羨ましい気もしますな is just a characteristic/an attribute of そこまでして会いたい子がいる?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Not really. I was talking about the difference between そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの vs. そこまでして会いたい子がいるの.

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
so っての/というの has a nuance to that the clause is talking about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general, something like "things like~".
Thank you. So by “clause” you mean そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの and “preceding” is for “precede the って/というの”. So do you mean that そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの talks about the characteristic/attribute (in general) of the fact that there is someone who he wants to see while そこまでして会いたい子がいるの is just stating the fact that there is someone who he wants to see?

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, seems to be failed to edit my post. I meant "a nuance to talk about a characteristic/an attribute of the preceding noun/phrase/clause in general."

So do you mean that そこまでして会いたい子がいるって/というの talks about the characteristic/attribute (in general) of the fact that there is someone who he wants to see while そこまでして会いたい子がいるの is just stating the fact that there is someone who he wants to see?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Top Bottom