What's new

Can I work if I receive a MEXT Scholarship?

starv marv

後輩
29 Aug 2011
I just wondered if people ever work while on a Mext Scholarship. The living stipend seems like it would make for a tight budget with Tokyo prices. Has anyone ever worked a part-time job or under the table? I sometimes write freelance for magazines outside Japan, would it be OK to continue to accept money for this?

If you are on a student visa, you cannot work unless you get special permission from the government. Pretty straightforward and easy to do. PT work only.

Making money via Internet work as you described is none of Japan's business. Feel free to continue doing it.

Thanks Glenski. I was just wondering if it's possible to get permission to work if you are in Japan on a MEXT Scholarship. I thought there might be some restrictions on working for MEXT Scholars. Do you know anyone who has do it?

Thanks Glenski. I was just wondering if it's possible to get permission to work if you are in Japan on a MEXT Scholarship. I thought there might be some restrictions on working for MEXT Scholars. Do you know anyone who has do it?

3 of my Monbusho friends have part time work. They all got permission. It's not hard to get it.

BTW I was on a scholarship in Tokyo for only 80,000 yen a month (but with free accommodation) and I was faring very well. :) It's not so hard.

Back
Top Bottom