What's new

Can anybody help me?

Azmodius

Registered
7 Jul 2003
Hi there,

for the life of me I've been trying to find a picture of the Japanese 'Kanji' symbol for the word "Kawaii" (cute - in english) online but I've simply had no luck :(

I'd like to have a piece of jewelry engraved with this symbol so I can give it to a very dear friend. Ideally the picture needs to be high quality and printable so that the jeweler can copy it! But i can't find anything anywhere with a translation of this word into kanji!

Please, can anyone help?

kawaii is 可愛い in kanji, but usually it's written in kana. If you want, I can capture the kanji and send it to you in about 2 and a half minutes...

Here you go.

Attachments

• kawaii.jpg
    kawaii.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 132
Oh thank you Tasuki! I don't know a lot about Japanese so I dont know what 'Kana' is! :) Do you think you could capture the Kana symbol for me also (if kana is indeed symbolised)?

katakana and hiragana are often referred to generically as "kana". Well, if it makes your day, I'm glad to have been of service.

katakana カキクケコ (ka, ki, ku, ke, ko)
hiragana かきくけこ (ka, ki, ku, ke, ko)

In kanji, 可愛い, in katakana かわいい

Well, i don't know if it's true..but we often use this to fool plle around,there's a word have a very similar to kawaii, that's kowai-means horrible. then u may say some one's horrible instead of cute, and since they don't know what's kowai, they'll think what u say is kawaii, perfect cruel joke - kawaii and kowai.

The pronounciations are quite different. I don't think anyone would wilfully make that mistake unless they wanted to be mean...

You do have to hold down the final "i" in "kawaii," though, which doesn't just slip off the tongue for most English speakers who are able to distinguish "kow" and "kaw" without it -- but apparently most Japanese cannot.

Well, as I said, I don't know anyone here who would make that mistake, except intentionally... I mean, aside from the elongated "i" at the end of kawaii, the "ka" and "ko" sounds in Japanese are as different as apples and oranges... I think this type of mistake is more common where the same pronounciation, inflected differently, is used to refer to different things... 雲 and 蜘蛛 (kumo; cloud and spider), 雨 and 飴 (ame; rain and sucking candy), 橋 and 箸 (hashi; bridge and chopsticks). In my experience, it's easier to slip on such words and words such as 鳥 and 鳥居 (tori and torii; bird and gate to a shinto shrine) than it is to slip on 可愛い and 怖い... But you're right, for someone who's not used to pronouncing and hearing the sounds, it may be easy, I don't know...

Back
Top Bottom