What's new

Building a House - Thoughts

Wolfman101

Registered
15 Sep 2014
Hey guys,
I've found some older threads on the costs of land/housing, but nothing very up to date. I'd be very interested in hearing people's experiences! I'll be moving back to Japan permanently next year, and within 12 months or so I'll be building a house. I imagine I'll be buying the land and house separately, as I doubt that Sekisui/Toyota Home/etc will allow the level of customisation I'll need (for example, I will likely want at least 3 levels, the bottom level just being garage space).

I'm looking at a nice, residential neighbourhood, but not too far removed. Perhaps Kikijoji or Daikanyama.
It's been a few years since I last lived in Japan, so not really familiar with what pricing is doing. Does anyone have some rough ideas of what a 4LDK might cost to build these days? And then, of course, the terrifying cost of a piece of land big enough?

Cheers..!

... as I doubt that Sekisui/Toyota Home/etc will allow the level of customisation I'll need (for example, I will likely want at least 3 levels, the bottom level just being garage space).

I'm sure they could do that--given that your lot conditions permit it. Just have them build a concrete 'foundation' that's effectively one story high, then put the house on top.

Be careful of being sucked in to some small architect's world. They'll tell you you can do anything, and then they end up convincing you to do it their way. We know a couple different people who used architects who now think it wasn't worth it--that a package such as the majors offer would probably have been better and less hassle.

Resale might be a factor, too. Something standard would appeal more than something 'unique'.

Thanks for the input! So you're saying that the majors actually allow some degree of flexibility? I had assumed it was all off the menu.

Still keen to get an idea on total costs. I'm reading that a decent 4 LDK from the majors MIght be around 30m yen? Do you think in the suburbs I mentioned I would get a lot big enough for under 50m yen? I assume that the land is always far more expensive than what you put on it...

It depends what style you want, Sekusui and Daiwa use prefab buildings. They are okay, but nothing beats a more solid wood structures house. When I built mine I just wasn't impressed with the options they offer, I paid a little more for custom, but end result was much better than the prefabs I see.

Back
Top Bottom