What's new

Can foreigners buy housing in Tokyo?

invest in a parking lot

I am Jose from France, and I'm very interested in investing in parking lots in Tokyo, can you tell me the prices of parking lots and the rentability
I'd like to move to Tokyo and living there. Still, I have no diplomas, so it will be difficult for me to find work. Instead, I have some money that's why I'm asking about this,
please excuse my bad English and i hope to receive some help
:D

No Diploma No Visa

But that sounds like an interesting idea, investing in a parking lot. I think just getting your hands on land in Japan is a bit difficult in areas that would like a carpark.

M10 said:
Yeah I have relatives living in Japan.
But I think that NOVA don't have here in Brazil..
I think I finally found another (but very hard) way.. the Monbukagakusho.
then, I could use the same "tactic", but instead of the NOVA using the Monbukagakusho.
Thank you so much SacredBlue !
You are supporting me more than my mom :)

If you are Brazilian with Japanese ancestry, then you very well may be able to come to Japan after high school. There is a special type of visa for people from certain countries (Brazil is one) who have Japanese relatives.

As you may know, some towns in Japan now have thousands and thousands of Brazilian residents.

jose said:
i am jose from france and im very interested to invest on parking lots in tokyo , can you tell me prices of parking lots and the rentability
id like to move to tokyo and to live there but i have no diploms so it will be difficult for me to find a work, instead i have some money thats why im asking about this
please excuse my bad english and i hope to receive some help
:D

You would face very severe competition from established parking lot management firms in Tokyo. They have already grabbed practically every piece of land that is available. I have seen places where they have put in coin-operated parking lots with space for only two or three cars.

I don't like to sound discouraging, but it might be best to think of another plan.

thanks mike for the answer looks like you know many about tokyo
im not discouraged yet i was also thinking about buying appartments and rental them to foreigners or japanese people ( but less expensive price )
but i m scared about earthquaks
anyway with some friend we d like to come and invest in tokyo, we just need to find something interestingn , rental appartments sounds nice
do someone know if it is difficult or not and if there is not too many expensies
ps thanks for the quick reply about parking lots

not "millions" but enough to start thinking of this kind of business
the real problem is: is it interesting or not to invest in apartments in Tokyo? :?

I have no idea if it is interesting or not.

Are you familiar with real estate prices in Tokyo? Are you aware of the difficulties of non-Japanese obtaining financing from Japanese banks? Are you familiar with Japanese tax laws? Are you familiar with Japanese laws regarding landlord-tenant relations? Are you going to contract an apartment management firm or real estate agency to manage the apartments for you? Or do you plan to do everything yourself? If so, do you have sufficient Japanese ability to handle it?

sorry I couldn't reply before
I know only a few things
first, i can buy an apartment even without a visa, I know its cheaper than in Paris, and I know all the taxes you must pay ( when you buy it and when you live in it ), I don't need help from the banks, we ( me and my friends ) have enough money to buy around ten small apartments without problem , my only concern: is it easy to rental apartments in Tokyo for foreigners or Japanese people, for the Japanese language i have my girlfriend who can help me or some friends I know in Tokyo
so, I was hoping for someone who did that kind of business and could tell me about it

Thanks to everybody around there :)

Are you talking about ten individual apartments? Or ten apartment buildings?

If it's ten apartment buildings, in Tokyo, then bring millions of dollars.

But lets leave the finances alone for now.

To answer your question, many apartment owners contract with real estate agencies or apartment management agencies to handle the day-to-day management of the property and locating tenants. My landlord owns two apartment buildings, both adjacent to his own home, but a real estate agent handles 100% of everything for him. Finding tenants, making leases, collecting rent, everything.

It is not buildings but ten individual apartments. I don't know yet about contracts with real estate agencies or apartment management agencies
in my country, that kind of agencies will take 5% of each month rental price to handle everything and will guarantee 10 full months of payments each year
I didn't contact any agencies in Tokyo yet because right now I'm in Paris
I prefer to handle that kind of things directly in japan
Before that, I wondered if buying apartments in old buildings ( 20or 25 years old ) was not a brake for rental that kind of apartments. I heard Japanese people don't want to live in buildings more than 10 years old!!!
I was also looking for a little building to sell, but I couldn't find anything yet, so I don't know if it is costly or find something not high in price.
I guess I will need to go to Tokyo soon so I can see by myself.
Thanks for all the answers you are given me. I'm really grateful. 😎 🙂

Even a 1k condo in Japan can sell for over $100,000.

You can do a Japan Google search to find some online real estate agents. That may help you to get a better idea of the different apartment types and prices.

thanks for the advice i already did it
20 m2 is about 8000000 yen for a 20 years old building and somewhere near the yamanote line, i dont think it s very expensive, and you can find cheaper if you go more far from the center of tokyo
in paris it is more expensive !!

So you can't move to Japan without a university degree.
And you can't get a good paying job without a university degree.
Is it possible to move to Japan to attend College/University there?

Yes it is possible, but its not cheap to just do that, and you need good (very very good) Japanese to do it.

To Jose (or anyone who wants to invest in accomodations)

I have been researching everything so maybe I can answer any other questions you have. I am in Osaka though and was looking at the local options.

I am still having difficulties with the bank loan because of my visa and I don't have the capital to do it alone. If you were looking for a partner...

I would say it is possible to get 100% return in 3 to 6 years, depending on the place etc. After that, it would just be profit coming in.

If anyone out there has 5,000,000 yen for investment and might be interested, let's chat.

Um, yes, I'm thinking of going to Tokyo, or near the Tokyo area if it proves to be too expensive, after finishing university (the design field, if that matters). Is it possible to find a relatively cheap apartment there if I'd find myself a job in the designing and layout sector? Just 1 room'd be enough, really, and I'd be staying for a year. I knew rent could get high, but are there also (not too rundown) apartments for about 40.000 yen or somewhere around that price?

This thread made me curious to look for some actual Japanese house PURCHASE prices, but all I can find online in English are lease prices. I've tried navigating some Japanese sites, but so far they're just too complex for me. escapeartist.com promised some leads, but they were all dead ends. :eek:

If you know of a website with actual purchase costs in English, or a Japanese site that's simple and has, say, photos and prices, please pass the URLs along?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Useful site for apartment rental costs. A nice search feature, lots of options.

Back
Top Bottom