What's new

book title translation please

ten1974

Registered
4 Aug 2016
Hi,

Could someone translate the titles of these 2 books please?

I have added photos of both books...

thanks for any help!

Paul
jap book 2.jpg
jap book.jpg

Look inside for the publisher's info and you'll probably find it in an easier to read font.

Are you reading these?

Hi Mike,

Im looking to buy them at auction....they have nice art in them...just curious what it said on the covers

thanks, Paul

The second one shows the back of the book, not the cover. It was published by Iwanami Shoten and seems to have been authored by a guy with the surname of Kishida. I can make out the first three characters in the title but the rest is just smudges to me. I can't make out even that much on the first one.

Once you have them in hand it might be possible to make better guesses based on images from inside the books.... unless they use that sort of font throughout.

HI again Mike

thanks again for your help....you understand much more than I do....I know no japanese unfortunately

I love the art in the books...I just dont want to overpay for them...these types of books are popular here

i found another photo of the inside of the "orange" book:

jap book orange.jpg

A supplementary explanation to Hoge-san's post;
新聚歌舞伎役者絵画集 is the title of the green book, reading Shinshū Kabuki-yakusha-e gashū, meaning A New Collection; Anthology of Kabuki Actors Pictures . ゑ入初期肉筆浮世絵 is the title of the orange one; Eiri Shoki Nikuhitsu Ukiyoe, Early Hand-painted Ukiyoe (including pictures) .

The writer of the orange one is a famous painter 岸田劉生 Kishida Ryūsei.
Ryūsei Kishida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

great!

thanks for all your help guys.....great site....i hope i get the books, they are nice

Paul

Back
Top Bottom