What's new

Best period/season to visit Japan?

Nhyalfhena

後輩
7 Jul 2015
I'm going to be in Korea for one year for exchange and am definitely planning a trip to Japan. Just wondering when would be the best time for me to visit. I have about 2 weeks to 1 month to visit Japan and I can go in any period as I was told that the exchange program is not really impressive and there aren't really consequences if you don't show up a couple of times.

So would it be best to visit Japan in fall, winter, spring or summer? And are there cool festivals, events that I should attend in a certain period?

Who is paying for the trip and your living expenses?

How will exiting and re-entering the country affect your visa or status with the program?

What season do you prefer back home? October has a bunch of festivals here. February is the coldest month and therefore has snow/ice festivals up north. Cherry blossom blooming covers a wide range of times (see Google for historical days).

Spring and fall are definitely my favorites, but I don't do much snowsports. The cherry blossoms and fall colors are worth the trip. Check to see if your visa needs a re-entry stamp (as a student would in Japan) beforehand), Enjoy your trip and studies!

I'll recommend spring time April to May or autumn October to November.
Spring we have cherry blossom and in autumn you can see the fallen red leaves.
And definitely recommend to go Kyoto at those periods.

Thanks so much for all the replies guys! Sorry for not having been here lately, but I have just been too busy taking in this awesome experience of foreign exchange. Korea is also awesome! :D anyway, I'm planning to visit Japan with some friends this October (not exactly sure when, but we're gonna buy the tickets soon) and I'm planning to go again during spring to visit some Japanese friends I made here :) So I think I'm going to enjoy both autumn and fall :D

Spring and fall are definitely my favorites, but I don't do much snowsports. The cherry blossoms and fall colors are worth the trip. Check to see if your visa needs a re-entry stamp (as a student would in Japan) beforehand), Enjoy your trip and studies!

I have to agree those are the best time to visit. i went to Japan in December and there wasn't really much going on. some time i find events going on. if you want just enough old fall is you want the cool weather with warmness. spring. just remember, that peak travel season

I have to agree those are the best time to visit. i went to Japan in December and there wasn't really much going on. some time i find events going on. if you want just enough old fall is you want the cool weather with warmness. spring. just remember, that peak travel season

As a foreign visitor, the fact that it's peak travel season for Japanese is not a great problem since you're not forced to do everything at the weekends or public holidays as most Japanese residents are. For most people, the middle of summer is unbearably hot and humid and a very bad time to visit (I'm wondering how athletes can possibly perform well in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics). The rest of the time is fine, and I particularly like the cool dry winters of Kanto with blue skies nearly every day and cheap flights to and from Europe - something worth thinking about if you're from the north and prone to seasonally adjusted disorder.

I'm going to be in Korea for one year for exchange and am definitely planning a trip to Japan. Just wondering when would be the best time for me to visit. I have about 2 weeks to 1 month to visit Japan and I can go in any period as I was told that the exchange program is not really impressive and there aren't really consequences if you don't show up a couple of times.

So would it be best to visit Japan in fall, winter, spring or summer? And are there cool festivals, events that I should attend in a certain period?
mostly recommend you of visiting it in the summer , cause other seasons dosen't plau its beauty well

I highly recommend not summer unless you really prefer heat/humidity. Spring/fall is ideal in my opinion.

Any time of the year is actually good. I travel in all seasons/months - it depends on which season you like.

Summer is not too hot, but some people do not like the humidity. Winter can be cold, but again, it depends on what you are used to and it is useful if you are going skiing.. December is not devoid of things to do.

Popular periods are spring for cherry season, and autumn for leaf colour. May is also popular as it is warmer than April and before the "rainy" season, but the rain is not torrential, and shouldn't put people off.

As Patrick says, any time of the year is good though it depends on what it is you wish to discover about Japan. There are plenty of internet resources which will inform your eventual decision. Each time I decided I'm going to make another trip (usually twice each year) I type a particular interest plus Japan (or a city) into Google, sit back and let the good ol' internet guide me.

For example, a couple of years ago I thought I'd like to see some traditional music... and ended up in Matsumoto in July for the Taiko festival. Marvellous it was too!

I've been in Spring (sorry - but the blossom thing is a bit overplayed, pretty as it is) and loved it, in the summer (been boiled alive, soaked to the skin, got within 2 feet of a lighting bolt in the Alps), early Autumn (unseasonably warm but the trees were amazing) and winter (to avoid Xmas at home). Tokyo isn't great over shogatsu but I didn't mind as there was more room to move!

I've actually written a whole blog post about this ages ago. :)

Each season has its good points and its bad points. It totally depends on your interests.
I'm with most people that summer is not a good idea, BUT if you want to enjoy summer festivals or climb Mt. Fuji, you should come in summer.

Summer is also great for visiting Okinawa or Hokkaido. ;)

I've actually written a whole blog post about this ages ago. :)

Each season has its good points and its bad points. It totally depends on your interests.
I'm with most people that summer is not a good idea, BUT if you want to enjoy summer festivals or climb Mt. Fuji, you should come in summer.

Summer is also great for visiting Okinawa or Hokkaido. ;)

We haven't heard from you in over a year! How have you been?

Back
Top Bottom