What's new

Being fat ( obese ) in japan?

Layatrand

Registered
25 Jan 2014
I've heard from one of my japanese friends that being obese is frowned upon in japan, and they even have a tax for it?

I'm sure that a lot of this is true, but I would like to take the word of people who still currently live in japan before I completely consider this remark on the question.

I'm also curious about this 'fat tax' and what it is? Is there a weight limit in japan, lol?

I've never heard of a fat tax, though maybe someone else has some experience with it.

Being obese is frowned upon on most of the planet. It's why America has started pro-fat groups against 'fat-shaming.' But in Japan you stand out a lot more since obesity is much rarer. I see overweight people (heck, I am one!), but obese is pretty uncommon.

I would buy a fake Sumo's top not hair and people might think I was a famous foreign Sumo wrestler with my big belly , LOL.

Uncle Frank

There's not a tax on individuals.

There is a scheme to get people of a certain age (40+) into "メタボ健診" (basically additional health checkups). e.g. see here, and there may be financial penalties for the health insurers who are supposed to be carrying out the checks, if they aren't hitting the targets for what percentage of those eligible get tested.

It's not just in japan that they look down upon fat people... it's all over the world... if you're not a skinny handsome/beautiful young-looking person... you're not really welcomed as far as I experienced.... luckily I never gave a penny of my thoughts to such opinions... lol...

I've heard from one of my japanese friends that being obese is frowned upon in japan, and they even have a tax for it?

I'm sure that a lot of this is true, but I would like to take the word of people who still currently live in japan before I completely consider this remark on the question.

I'm also curious about this 'fat tax' and what it is? Is there a weight limit in japan, lol?

There is no punishment for individuals who are overweight in Japan.

The law is officially known as the Standard Concerning Implementation Special Health Examinations and Special Public Health Guidance. It is more commonly known as "metabo law" – named after "metabolic syndrome" which is Japan's official name for obesity. It became effective in April 2008 and added a new waist measurement requirement to the existing annual checkups required of all 40-75 year olds by local governments and employers.

To say it is "illegal" to be overweight in Japan is a mischaracterization of the law. It has been referred to as a "fat tax" which may be closer to reality. The Japanese government issued guidelines and goals related to overweight citizens, with penalties for companies who do not meet those goals. Individuals are not punished or fined in any way, though overweight people may be subject to increased pressure to lose weight by by employers and fellow workers. There may also be discrimination against overweight people seeking jobs.

Local governments and employers must maintain a minimum of 65% participation in the program and meet specific guidelines. The first goal was a 10% reduction in obesity rates by 2012, with a 25% goal by the year 2015. Over 50 million Japanese are expected to be measured each year.

There is no penalty or punishment for individuals. The law is aimed at putting pressure on companies and local governments. Employers unable to meet the guidelines will be forced to pay nearly 10% higher health payments into the national health insurance program. This can equate to millions of dollars for large corporations.

Complete BS about the tax. Have lived here for 15 years, and my J wife laughed when I mentioned this. Someone is pulling your leg, or they are referring to what loveinjapanese wrote about metabo syndrome (and it's the companies, not the employees who pay penalties).

Is obesity frowned upon here? Well, not by the sumo federation, obviously! As for other people, they are the same everywhere. Japan's population is getting heavier as western fast foods grow.

I wouldn't say fat people/obese people would be exactly frowned upon either, but they do stand out easier though, as majority of the Japanese are very lean/well-proportioned. What I have noticed though is, that Japanese do comment fairly bluntly about someone getting more fat. My husband has gained a rather cute belly (he used to be super skinny), so I've been next to him when people just point it out - "you've become fat!" "Oh you've grown yourself a tummy!". I reckon it's kind of teasing, in good will, rather than anyone being very serious about it. Commenting on one's appearance is more straight-forward in Japan anyways,than for example in Europe. I've also received sudden comments on the tone of my skin, sunburns, pimples, hair color etc. even from almost total strangers. It's just a cultural thing, and not meant to be offensive at all.

Back
Top Bottom