What's new

Being Gaijin in Japan, is it good or bad?

madameR

後輩
8 Nov 2010
hey, everyone.窶堙昶?堙遺?堋ウ窶堙アツ、窶堋ア窶堙ア窶堙俄?堋ソ窶堙債!
I'm japanese, 24 years old woman.
When I was a student, I used to live in a dorm for foreign students in order to assist their life in Japan(that's where I met my husband).
I often visit this forum and enjoy reading what you write, knowing what you think.
I have a question that I have been thinking for long time.
To be gaijin in Japan, what does it mean to you?
- Have you had good or bad experience because you are gaijin?
-Do you enjoying beeing gaijin?
-How do you feel when japanese call you gaijin?
-Do you think that japanese people discriminate gaijin?
Tell me what you think frankly.
If you explain in simple english, that helps me a lot:pツ湘

This topic has a strong danger of becoming a thread that is totally negative and just rehashes old posts about how some foreigners have been treated badly.

Too many things to write in a single post.

Mostly good.

I have no choice. Most of the time, yes.

Depends on how they say it.

Yes, sometimes.

How do you feel being a "Japanese gaijin" in France?

It means whatever I make of it.

Mostly good, or indifferent. The only experiences I really remember as purely negative are the ones where people are fearful I am going to rob them or do them physical harm, even though I am just walking down the street. Like i remember walking by somebody sitting alone in their parked car and as I approached to walk by the car I heard the sound of the doors locking... (ughh as if...) also there have been times when walking down the street people people clearly go out of their way to avoid me.. (mostly just old ladies that do this), but still.. to me the thought that they think i would do something to harm them makes me feel bad.

Depends on the day, and whether or not typically annoying questions like "can you use chopsticks?" and other stereotypical treatment of foreigners gets on my nerves or not.

Well they usually at least attach a "-san" on the end of it so i usually don't mind. Basically as long as they are being polite and not trying to act like a douche, its ok.

Yes, sometimes unfortunately, but on the whole I have never really experienced it.

I've only been here for about a month and a half so I don't think I have enough experience yet to give a meaningful response, but there is one thing I'd like to comment on.

I have never been called a gaijin by a Japanese. In fact, I've never heard a Japanese say "gaijin." Surprisingly, the only time I hear the word "gaijin" is from other foreign exchange students who ironically label themselves as gaijin.

I've only been here for about a month and a half so I don't think I have enough experience yet to give a meaningful response, but there is one thing I'd like to comment on.
I have never been called a gaijin by a Japanese. In fact, I've never heard a Japanese say "gaijin." Surprisingly, the only time I hear the word "gaijin" is from other foreign exchange students who ironically label themselves as gaijin.
I would prefer not be called anything on the list of "hoso kinshi yogo" (words unfit for broadcast).
:p

But it is only really cringe-worthy is when I've caused the trouble and someone going terribly out of their way is on the phone with a friend..."Listen, there is a gaijin here..." That's embarrassing. 😊

During my study abroad to Japan (5 weeks) I personally didn't feel any discrimination while in Japan. Many people were surprised I say this because on top of being a foreigner I am also a Black American which brings a little more attention my way.
-To be gaijin in Japan, what does it mean to you?
Just means that I am different than most people.
All good experiences
A little bit. I see no reason to treat it as a bad thing.
The same way when someone calls me a black guy, it does not bother me :)
Maybe they do, but not everyone.
I believe the main thing is the mindset you go to Japan with. If you go thinking that people are going to discriminate against you because you are a gaijin then thats all you will notice. I went with an open mind, not worried about the people who may not like me. I can say that for every Japanese person who didn't like me there was at least another Japanese person who was kind to me, and thats all I focused on. Because of this I'm returning to Japan next year for a full year student exchange :)

Thank you for answering my questions.

As a Japanese, i'm happy to hear that most of gaijin takes being gaijin in japan as positive. I used to think that Japanese use the word, gaijin, too often! When I was a student, sometimes I heard complains about the situation of being gaijin from foriegn students.

One of my friend (He is from Scotland,31years old,lived in Japan for 2 years)said:
Sometimes I feel I'm just gaijin mascot.

The other friend said(She is from America,grow up in Mexico,25years old):
Japanese people are welcome at short time, but it doesn't last long.

I wish Japan become more international, more foreigner come to visit this country and more people become to like Japan. I belive that it makes the Japanese culture more wider.

Thinking about internationalization of Japan, to make difference between japanese and forigner is an obstacle.

but this is just my opinion and I could just see people around me. I believe the situation of foreigner in rural and in urban is different (I'm from fukuoka).

>Glenski
I don't feel especially I'm gaijin because in france, gaijin is everywhere. People talk to me like I can completely understand what they say, even if it is not the case.

But I feel little bit home sick around Christmas day and New years day.

I wish Japan become more international, more foreigner come to visit this country and more people become to like Japan. I belive that it makes the Japanese culture more wider.
Japan needs more foreigners simply because of the declining population and birthrate, but the Japanese government isn't doing much to attract or keep foreigners here. That is the biggest obstacle!

>Glenski
I don't feel especially I'm gaijin because in france, gaijin is everywhere. People talk to me like I can completely understand what they say, even if it is not the case.
And, the situation in Japan is opposite, as you know. Many Japanese will cross the street just to avoid being near foreigners, or shopkeepers sometimes accuse foreigners of crimes (or ban them). I just attended a soccer tournament in Kitami, Hokkaido (fairly rural place), and an old woman standing next to me did not notice I was a foreigner until she turned to start asking a question. She stopped after 2 words, then looked over to my Japanese wife and asked her instead. That was insulting, since she didn't even consider that I could speak even a little Japanese!

Both

Yes, I enjoy being MYSELF; me being 'gaijin' is something only the Japanese see.
(what a dumb question)

They don't, they call me gaijin-san, or call me by my name. Even if they do say the word 'gaijin' it's often not their fault; the Japanese are oblivious to concepts of modern political correctness which are already well accepted in other 1st world nations.

-Do you think that japanese people discriminate gaijin? Tell me what you think frankly.

I think rather than being actively discriminatory, the Japanese are subconsciously xenophobic. The Japanese are basically afraid of what is different, even amongst themselves; they are conformist and fear/dislike people (Japanese or otherwise) who don't or seemingly can't conform because it upsets the balance.

madameR: I have a question, don't laugh! What about foreign woman? I heard the Japanese love blondes and so on. You know what I mean.. most people prefer "other" people than people which see all the time. I hope you understand my question and take me answer :) greetings!

I was only in Japan for two and a half months. Not long enough for anyone to call me a gaijin. Of course, I only know about 5 words of Japanese, so maybe I just didn't hear/understand them.

I did enjoy being a foreigner over there. I made it a point to wear my leather cowboy hat everywhere I went. It was fun watching everyone react to that. My girlfriend and I bought some traditional Japanese clothes (kimono and hakama, if I recall) and walked around the Morioka castle ruins during Sonsa Odori. The only time anyone really said anything was when a little kid yelled "Wow, look!" (I forget what it was in Japanese, my girlfriend would know) while pointing. It made me laugh.

It means a new experience; an adventure. :)
Have you had good or bad experience because you are gaijin?
Overwhelmingly good, but the experience is what you make of it. I have had days where I felt like everybody was staring at me accusingly and I felt self-conscious and hideous. But when I decided not to worry so much about how I looked, I found the experience to be much better.
Do you enjoying beeing gaijin?
For the most part. It can get a bit lonely, but I enjoy it.
How do you feel when japanese call you gaijin?
Well, actually, nobody calls me gaijin to my face. A few people will talk about me when I'm within earshot, but even then, I just kind of curiously listen in, and will occasionally do something subtle to indicate that I understand them (a little. My Japanese is still not that great).
Do you think that japanese people discriminate gaijin?
I agree with the person who said subconsciously, yes. People generally don't greet me or talk to me, not from unfriendliness or prejudice, but because they just naturally assume I don't speak Japanese. But usually if I'm friendly to them, they are friendly to me.

I did have one experience with some restaurants in Tsukiji near the fish market. In late 2008 I went there with some friends, one who was half-Japanese and we went to one of the restaurants (that didn't have the no gaijin sign on the door). The elderly woman serving us was really rude, I couldn't understand her Japanese, but she was throwing our plates on the table, obviously being insulting. I was pretty mad...in this day in age...stuff like that still happens? Now that I understand a bit more...part of me still wants to go back and tell that woman what I think of her. But she's not even worth my time.

I think being a "gaijin" is a good thing, there are times where it may feel like it's not, but it just means I bring something a little different to the table. All in all people are pretty friendly, regardless of where you're from. For those people who don't like me because I'm a gaijin, well I guess they'll have to get over it because I'm gonna be here a while

I did have one experience with some restaurants in Tsukiji near the fish market. The elderly woman serving us was really rude, I couldn't understand her Japanese, but she was throwing our plates on the table, obviously being insulting. I was pretty mad...in this day in age...stuff like that still happens?

Obviously, you went to the wrong place. I had a vastly different experience at a Tsukiji area restaurant:

Tsukiji restaurant

As you can see (if you go to the link above), I had a fun time there.

I did have one experience with some restaurants in Tsukiji near the fish market. In late 2008 I went there with some friends, one who was half-Japanese and we went to one of the restaurants (that didn't have the no gaijin sign on the door).

I've been visiting/taking people to Tsukiji since 1996 and have eaten at perhaps 6-7 restaurants in the area. I have never had an experience that could be called anything other than polite and delicious. Of course it is possible that the old lady was having a bad day - we all have them. And as an obaasan she might not have felt like putting on the polite friendly face.

I was always amused by the outcry because the market was considering banning tourists - newsflash, it's a working commercial market which gains not one yen from the tourism. In fact I've seen tourists cause a lot of difficulty for the folks trying to do their jobs because they are clueless about how a warehouse/market like that works. You are a menace to the guys standing on the little trucks zipping around with the fish if you're a clueless visitor. (and that is their business after all, moving fish as quickly and efficiently as possible from one place to another, not playing host to a bunch of gawking tourists)

As for the restaurant with the "Japanese Only" sign so published by our little buddy up in Hokkaido - the guys on occidentalism covered that one pretty well. More a case of "NO FISH FOR YOU" soup nazi-ism than racism.

Go to occidentalism dot org /?p=827 (wonder how many posts I need before I can post urls)

As for being a gaijin in Japan, I never had a problem with it. The truth is it let me skip a lot of the "crap" that the Japanese have to smile and deal with. No hazing at the office would be way up on the list. And I still remember that my colleagues used to ask me when I was leaving because I didn't feel the need to stay until my boss went home. And once I'd broken the magical barrier of going home they could feel free to leave instead of sitting at their desks sleeping (one guy used to snore so loudly he'd wake himself up - was hilarious), reading the newspaper/Harry Potter, playing whatever that anime like MMORPG was, or just goofing off until the boss went home at 7-8pm.

Mainly good experiences. Living in Kobe makes it a lot easier because there are more foreigners (but not too many) here so people don't really look at me as in "WOW GAIKOKUJIN". But of course there are some bad experiences, but mainly due to miscommunications.

Most of the time, although I should work more on my Japanese to be able to enjoy "japan" more.

It depends on the situation, if it's a regular conversation I don't really mind (although I do prefer to be called gaikokujin instead of gaijin). It's a bit annoying sometimes when you are in a shopping mall and some kids come up to you and say stuff like Hello Gaijin, "OW MY GOD", do you like tennis or pennis.

Of course there are some that discriminate gaijins, but most of the people just don't know about foreigners.

Back
Top Bottom