What's new

Beer - Japanese And Other

Riot

後輩
12 Mar 2003
Hi.
I'm a true Beer lover.
I drink beer in a way most people don't. I like to analyse the bottle first, the presentation of it, what it says on the back label and so on.
Then I pour it, in a glass, never drink from the bottle unless noted by the manufacturer.
Once in the glass, I like to chek the colour. I note colour in a beer book of my own. Then comes the smell, what does it smell like?
If feel that when you smell a beer (Or wine) you can tell a lot about it's taste.
I try to "pre-taste" the beer when smelling it. Try to guess what it should taste like. (I've been quite sucessful so far with this technique)
And then finally, once my mouth is all watered-up from staring and smelling at the beer for so long. Here comes the best part, the tasting.
How you drink it in my opinion is very important, do you drink it, let it sit in your mouth, then swallow? Or do you swallow right away?
I like to be in between, letting it too long in your mouth will take out the coldness of the beer and therefor false it's taste.
Once tasted, does it have after taste? Bitterness? etc.
So, every beer lover on this thread, or even wine, should do their own analysis of a beer they love, write it down and share with people in here, that way we may end up trying all sorts of beer we did'nt know existed.

Here's my first contribution.

- Name : Kostritzer
- Colour : Black Lager
- Presentation : draught beer, served in a glass, very dark, with a 1/4" thick brew sitting on top, lightly golden.
- Smell : Hard to say what the beer smells like, from the smell of it, one can tell it's definitely a strong beer, but the smell hide the easyness of the beer.
- Taste : I'd have to say that this beer is easy on the tongue, at first the taste is kind of shy, then once swallowed the true taste emerges, for a short time only, without a big after taste.

On a side note, I though that this was an easy going beer, but a fellow beer taster friend of mine did'nt think so, he thought it was a strong beer with lots of character. Then we found out I was more attracted to dark beer and he almost never liked a dark one at all.

So, c'mon everyone!
Jump in with your own personal beer experience!
Cheers! Or Senpai!
Matt

I like Beer, and wine and Saki. But I don't like Budweiser. American Beer. It tastes like dog feet. (no I've never eaten dog feet) But you can smell something and know what it will taste like. Like poop.

I like:

Heineken
Corona, or pacifica
Coors (depends on what Im eating)
Smirnoff
Liquor
Peach Shnapps is great with orange juice
Jagermeister
Vodka is alright
I would like to try more foreign Beers, I think they are better.

I had a lager from I think it was Sweden. It was good. I got it at a sundance film festival.

Oh and I like wine, not to sweet though, but is gude

I am definately a beer drinker.

Want to try some of the best beer in the United States?
GO TO WISCONSIN!
Positively some of the best micro-breweries in the country are there.
My pick?

1#

The Joseph Huber Brewery
First of all, anyone who is familiar with Chicago knows about the late great restaurant, Berghoffs. (Famous for its hearty German fare, and excellent beers!) This might come as a shock to some, but Berghoffs isn't even brewed in Chicago. It's brewed in the small town of Monroe, Wisconsin.
The Joseph Huber brewery has been around since 1845, and is the definition of micro-brewing. It might interest some to know that none other than JFK himself visited the brewery before he was the president.
Anyways, I have 2 favorites; Huber Bock and the Berghoff Hefe-Weizen.

My advice to you: Go visit the brewery! They give excellent tours, and have a sweet tasting room that offers free samples and snacks afterwards. Besides that, Monroe has a TON of good food in town, mostly German-American. I also recommend visiting the cheese factory, and if you have time drive North to New Glarus, home of Spotted Cow Beer.

FYI, American beer is GREAT, without a doubt some of the best in the world. You just have to go out and find it. I've actually visited the Miller brewery, and was totally disappointed. Stick to the micro-brews.
👍

ASAHI ASAHI ASAHI *chanting for a few minutes*
I love tap Asahi, but im not fussy if thats not available.
In NZ my favourite beer was Mac's Gold... mmmmmm
Not going to give a huge running commentary though... but they are my favourites.
If the weather is hot, any beer is fine.

My favorite beer is Sapporo. I usually go through one or two six packs of it per week. Kirin's good, too. I'm not as big on Asahi, though I don't see it in stores here much anyway. As for other quality beers, I like Guinness, Czechvar, Corona, and Red Hook pretty well. As far as cheap beers go, I like PBR, Schlitz, Yeungling (not distributed around here, unfortunately), Lone Star (ditto), Tecate (Mexican beer), and Miller on occasion.

As far as hard liquor goes, my poison is Jim Beam.

I have to agree with you mad pierrot, Micro Breweries are definitely a good experience.
The one you're talking about, if I understood right, are german oriented bock, produced in U.s?
Here in Canada, precisely Québec we have " Unibroue " a micro-brewerie, they specialize in strong beer, like : La fin du monde (End of the world) at over 10% alc.
I've liked their mid 2002 batch, later on the one I've tasted was'nt as good. Perhaps they changed something in their formula, or maybe it has something to do with ingrediant quality, not enough fermentation etc.
I remember tasting Sapporo, It came in a big grey can, I don't like beer in cans, the metal take away the taste and leave a strange note behind.
the one I drank was'nt bad at all, but I wish I could find it in draft or bottle perhaps. And as far as Kirin goes, had one, with sushi, did'nt like sushi back then, so the beer helped me a lot with finishing my plate.
Anyone one of you out there ever tried to make their own beer?
Keep 'em coming!
Cheers!
Matt

Brick101 said:
Do you brew your own?
I think you've read my mind. That was what I was going to suggest that you might like doing as soon as I saw this thread!

My husband and I have brewed a few beers, and they all came out better than any beers I've ever tasted except one failure, in which we messed up the yeast and malt, and turned out to be undrinkably strong and smoky.
We've made a brown ale, a Belgian style ale, a stout, IPA, a wheat beer etc, but the stout was the best among those.
If you live in Canada and get a cold temprature in the winter, you might be able to make lager which we couldn't.

We use "The Home Brewer's Companion" by Charlie Papazian which is a great book, has easy to follow instructions for starting a home brew and some good recipes.
If you are interested in, I can tell you more about it.

Brick101 said:

Yes, I have. Though 50% of the bottles produced exploded before consumption, the rest had a (b)eerie resemblance to double malt.

Hahaha, Kara Nari. I just barely tried Asahi today. It was good.

Actually the lager wasn't from sweden that I tried it was Belgian. My mistake.
I would also like to try a a guiness.

I'm not much of a beer person but on a hot summer night it sure taste good with a ice cold Danish Tuborg Green or Carlsberg sort gold. But the best is to go to Copenhagen for a beer run, almost every bar brew their own

Living in an overpriced flat in Auckland, my flatmates brewed our own beer, and it was really good! I helped by driving them around buying the stuff, and putting the little sugar balls in the bottles... after all its always nice to help.... drinking it.

ASAHI!!! if i dont drink this I get a fight with my father in law, but when I drink it I get a fight with my wife hahahaha... what should I choose?

I do have a number of beers that I like. I will try the format of presenting the beers as the OP suggested, so I'll get back here with that info fairly soon enough.

Now, I am happy, and in high spirits....I wasn't this morning...but now I am....because I know I have a job to do. Yes. I have to go out there and hit the streets...find as many beers as I can and analyze them then drink them. (and if I can't get it on the first one, well, I'll have 5 more to work on.

This is my mission to drink, and drink, and drunt, and dtybpt, aannn, ah, dmrntked...a..u...ah....ZZZZZZZZ

Hahaha! Mars Man, that sounds like the perfect time for me to come and raid the gardens!

I havent been drinking beer lately. However my favourite airplane beer is Asahi. That was a wee while ago. Unless I ask specifically I usually get budweiser or some crap Korean beer.

Back
Top Bottom