What's new

Anyone speak and write Japanese who can help me?

Xeket

後輩
25 Nov 2012
Alright my sister and I are big time into old style Japanese weapons. For Christmas I'm getting us some matching high grade hand made Katana's. I want to engrave the katana names on the blades in Japanese. Trouble is I don't know how to write or speak it. Her blade will be called "Fang of the Lunar Wolf" and my sword will be called "Fang of the Solar Wolf". I don't just want a straight cross translation but want the names to be grammatically correct in Japanese. I also heard there are different writing styles in Japan. Would there be a proper one for this type of thing? Also how would I say the names aloud in Japanese. I know this might be some work but I really want this Christmas to be special and need help :(

This is not 100% what you're asking for, but it's close. The first one is roughly "Fang of the lunar wolf", and the second one is roughly "Fang of the solar wolf".
窶ーAヒ弋窶ーテ・
窶配ヒ弋窶ーテ・

The first one would be read 窶堋「窶堙ア窶堙ォ窶堋、窶堋ェツ or "inrouga" I suppose, and the second would be read 窶堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙ォ窶堋、窶堋ェ or "yourouga" I suppose.

Thank you :)

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

My computer is showing little boxes with numbers in them :( Could you screen cap and post a pic in Jpeg so I can see them?

1.jpg
My advice to you is before you go off and use what I've given you, wait for a while and see what others have to say.

Alright I will. I don't want to end up with a $600 katana that says "fang of the wolf lunar" lol XD So I'll try to get it verified by as many people as I can.

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Hmmm from what I can gather. Above is "Sunny wolf fang" and "Shadow Wolf Fang" Maybe replacing shadow with Tsuki and replacing Sunny with Tiayou would work better :/

陰陽 - Wiktionary
Here's a link about the characters I choose. It's mostly in English,so never fear.

EDIT: Apparently the link didn't work right. I'm trying to fix it.

EDIT 2: Seems to work now. Give it a try.

Alright I see now. It's basically "Shinning Wolf Fang" and "Dark Wolf Fang" I suppose that's close enough :)

Anyway it will work for the blades thank you.

Anyone speak and wright Japanese who can help me? Someone with good grammer?

This thread was the first thing I saw when I woke up. It's going to be a bad day.

Glad my board could set your mood for the day :) If my give a damn weren't in serious disrepair I would try to make amends... Anyway hope your day improves :D

Please tell me the Fruitland you are from isn't Fruitland, TN.

Wright??? What is America coming to?

Mark Twain said, "It is a damned poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

The important thing, as the OP recognized, is grammer.

Never the Twain shall meet (me, that is). Nice humorist, but to see "wright" still grates on me. Two wrongs don't make a right but 2 wrights only make an airplane. 😄

"Grammer" or grammar?:)

Take a bough, Glenski.

Wright??? What is America coming to?

Wow. Two words spelled wrong. Lets draw and quarter him. Then we we can burn him like a witch. 🔥

Yeah, I suppose I could nitpick and do a little superiority dance, but why bother? I understood perfectly.

If I had a concern, it was why anyone needs 600 dollar katanas with engravings on them in a language they cannot read. But I guess we all have our own set of priorities eh?

And should I have used the dollar sign when I said dollars? Did I make an inexcusable faux pas here? If so, will I be thrown to the solar wolves or the lunar wolves?

Edit: You know, there was once a day when we did not even have official spellings. Amazing how we went from that to a general anal-retentivity about it.

By the way, please read my signature below.

Your sig doesn't display in Tapatalk, control freak.

Gentlemen, I have updated the thread title. Let's please keep it civil & on topic and help the OP in his quest for correct grammar.

Back
Top Bottom