What's new

Airport Access from Shinjuku Tokyo

al_spinner

後輩
6 Mar 2006
I'm travelling to Japan for the first time in April and am staying at a hotel in the Shinjuku area. I would like to know if anyone has tips on the best way to get from my hotel to Narita airport. Is it easier to take a bus or the N'EX train for a first-time traveller with luggage? Is getting to the N'EX stop within Shijuku station a long walk with many stairs? Also, I read that the N'EX train requires reservations ahead of time at Japan Rail service counters...how do I do that without being in Japan?

I would appreciate any tips or information. Thanks!!

The only way I know is to take the Yamanote Line to Tokyo Station and catch the Narita Express from there.

al_spinner said:
I'm travelling to Japan for the first time in April and am staying at a hotel in the Shinjuku area. I would like to know if anyone has tips on the best way to get from my hotel to Narita airport. Is it easier to take a bus or the N'EX train for a first-time traveller with luggage? Is getting to the N'EX stop within Shijuku station a long walk with many stairs? Also, I read that the N'EX train requires reservations ahead of time at Japan Rail service counters...how do I do that without being in Japan?
I would appreciate any tips or information. Thanks!!
Narita Express does have stops at Shinjuku and you can buy your tickets at the airport and station. The walk/stairs aren't anything extreme but then again I don't know exactly where your hotel is or how much luggage you plan to be hauling around.

If you staying at a large hotel many of them have regular buses that stop at Narita and if you show them your reservations they will give you a ride.

Other then that you can take the Narita express from Narita to Tokyo. Dont take the Yamanote. Take the Chou Line, it is a straight shot to Shinjuku. That train is always empty because it is just starting so you can get a seat and should not have any problems with your bags.

As the OP noted and I've done many, many times myself -- Narita Express definately does stop at Shinjuku (I think it's Line 3), if that's what is decided, so no need to transfer or buy tickets from the US unless you're planning to order a JR rail pass in which case that will be something that has to be done before leaving.

Last edited:
If you only have a small amount of luggage and dont mind carrying it around, possible up sever flights of stairs, take the Narita Express. It DOES go to Shinjuku.

Otherwise if you have a large amound of luggage, get a bus. You will be able to get to Shinjuku with minimal fuss, pickup right outside the airport, dropoff right next to the station. If you do need to catch a train its alot easier as you have access to elevators straight away.

Since everyone else has given most of the information, I'll just add the following:

(1) Narita Express takes you to central Tokyo, and Shinjuku is just one of its destinations. NOT All Narita Express go to Shinjuku. If you're planning to travel from Shinjuku to Narita, you'll have to check the schedule because the number of trains will be fewer in Shinjuku than, say, Tokyo Station.

(2) If you are old and non-athletic like me and do have loads of baggage filled with souvenirs on your leg from Shinjuku to Narita, take the Airport Limousine shuttle bus service. It picks you up at the entrance of your hotel in Shinjuku (assuming that you are staying at a major hotel in the area) and drops you off right in front of the departure level of Narita Airport. I could never stand the endless flights of escalators I had to take from the Narita Express platform to the departure counter...😌

I don't think you need to buy tickets (Narita Express or shuttle bus) so early. You can have purchase arranged at your hotel or given instructions on how to do it and just buy it a day or two before your departure.

HTH!!🙂

epigene said:
Since everyone else has given most of the information, I'll just add the following:
(1) Narita Express takes you to central Tokyo, and Shinjuku is just one of its destinations. NOT All Narita Express go to Shinjuku. If you're planning to travel from Shinjuku to Narita, you'll have to check the schedule because the number of trains will be fewer in Shinjuku than, say, Tokyo Station.

I checked my pamphlets & guidebooks and could not find anything about N'Ex going to Shinjuku. That's interesting to hear. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Yes, them stairs are daunting!

If you still need more info re the airport limousine bus and narita express servcies and stops, see attached:
リムジンバスの東京空港交通
About N'EX | Narita Express | JR-EAST
Enjoy Japan!
If you have done a lot of shopping, you can ask your hotel to give advice on how to ship your heavy souvenirs etc. to the airport one day ahead of departure. You would only need to go to the airport, pick them up there and then check in.
Ken

成田エクスプレス

Does anyone know the NEX fare from Narita airport terminal 1 to Tokyo station?

Their website lists 2 fares and I'm not sure of the difference.
Seat type difference, the keyword is "ordinary car"/"green car." A link page says,
Most long-distance trains (Shinkansen, Limited Express) and some local trains offer a choice of Ordinary Cars (coach) and Green Cars (first class). Although Green Cars definitely offer greater comfort, the difference between the two classes is not as extreme as on airlines.
When JR says "Narita Airport station," it means Terminal 1. Terminal 2 is just "Terminal 2 station."

253gif-1.jpg

What I meant was, their website lists 2 fares, 1 at the top and another at the bottom... both for regular cars.

Back
Top Bottom