What's new

2020 Cash still rules in Japan, bank transfer is unheard of

misternada

後輩
10 Sep 2017
What is wrong with bank transfer in Japan, it's 2020, when you want to buy something people still ask you to show the money.

-"You want to buy a car, yeah, sure just go to the bank and bring millions of yen in your pocket."
- "You want to buy a house and pay cash, not a loan? Why not, just let's meet in a coffee shop and bring hundreds of millions of yen in your pocket, what furikomi? you foreigners are so weird."

Sure Japan is a safe country but ... and if you dare ask for a receipt or something they are like wt*

I notice that when you use long term car park at the airport, you fill a form with the defect of your car, then you have to hand it back when you ask for a copy, they are like wt*, and then you have to give up else you are the bad gaijin that make unreasonable requests, but every place else in the world they give you a copy otherwise if there is a scratch to your car when you come back you cannot say a thing.

Well it's getting better, I remember I bought a book with a credit card in a nationwide book store chain in the nineties, it took literally hours, they had to call the bank to make sure, not joking, thank God at least you can use credit cards in Japan without problem nowadays, I think .. I remember my girlfriend got upset with the clerk because he did not put the book in a plastic bag, I did not care at the time, but now that I know Japan a bit better I realize it was quite a lack of respect, especially we had to wait like 3 hours for them to process the payment.

Wonder if other people noticed that as well :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Last edited:
What is wrong with bank transfer in Japan, it's 2020, when you want to buy something people still ask you to show the money.

-"You want to buy a car, yeah, sure just go to the bank and bring millions of yen in your pocket."
- "You want to buy a house and pay cash, not a loan? Why not, just let's meet in a coffee shop and bring hundreds of millions of yen in your pocket, what furikomi? you foreigners are so weird."

Sure Japan is a safe country but ... and if you dare ask for a receipt or something they are like wt*

I notice that when you use long term car park at the airport, you fill a form with the defect of your car, then you have to hand it back when you ask for a copy, they are like wt*, and then you have to give up else you are the bad gaijin that make unreasonable requests, but every place else in the world they give you a copy otherwise if there is a scratch to your car when you come back you cannot say a thing.

Well it's getting better, I remember I bought a book with a credit card in a nationwide book store chain in the nineties, it took literally hours, they had to call the bank to make sure, not joking, thank God at least you can use credit cards in Japan without problem nowadays, I think .. I remember my girlfriend got upset with the clerk because he did not put the book in a plastic bag, I did not care at the time, but know that I know Japan a bit better I realize it was quite a lack of respect, especially we had to wait like 3 hours for them to process the payment.

Wonder if other people noticed that as well :unsure::unsure::unsure:
Must have been a hell of a book to wait that long.

As for copies of forms and documents now you can easily take one with your phone.

Last edited:
This seems like a huge exaggeration. I use my online 振り込み through Mizuho literally all the time. It's how I've made ever rent payment (by that or direct 引き落とし), how I bought my computer, etc. etc.

Honestly, I can't remember ever being forced to make a payment of any significant amount through cash without at least an option for 振り込み or credit card payment. And what do you mean they won't give you a receipt? I've never been refused a 領収書 when I asked for it.

Japan is still in many ways a cash-based society, but this applies mostly to locally-run small businesses, etc.

Bank transfers among Japanese banks are common as dirt and its why you might spend so much time waiting in line at the ATM; its old people doing transfers.

Now international money transfers...there is a real "only in Japan" problem right there.

I don't even own a credit card and I don't even really want one. Its just another scam from my view.

Cash is king. Unlike a credit card you know exactly how much spending power you have and its never rejected. It won't evaporate for a burst of solar radiation or a clerical error. It won't be secretly stolen by some guy with a scanner or hacking software but only by someone you can see and you know exactly what happened and no run around from uncaring people at so-called "help" lines or web pages.

I LOVE cash. Its only dependent on my own ability to secure it and I DO NOT TRUST other people to handle my money at all. The only reason I have most of my money in a bank is that I am not rich enough to buy and maintain a proper security system. But that is as far as "trusting" the system goes.

We all love to roll in cash instead of handling plastic, but what about online shopping? Your takyubin guy will love you for always having to collect your payments. :)

What about international remittances? If I had to pay server bills and software licenses 振り込み I'd have to spend hours filling forms to prove that I'm not supporting international terrorism AND bring my hanko.

Cash works well on a local scale, but not for international transactions. In many industrialised countries, it will no longer be in use within the next 10 to 20 years. Sweden is a good example.

Thomas - that is true, but we need to build a society that is as resilient as possible to unexpected shocks, and for all the reasons MoZ gave, cash has an important role in achieving this. I do bank transfers and buy things online but also make sure I keep plenty of cash.

what about online shopping?

I have never bought anything directly but only a few things I got other people to use their credit card for me. For example I got my wife to buy a new airflow regulator for my car. I have directly paid for online game time. I did that using payment cards from a convenience store. And that is how it should be...completely anonymous. All we need now is a system where your purchases go to a local pick-up station, you submit your order number, and you take your purchase home, completely anonymously.

If I had to pay server bills and software licenses 振り込み I'd have to spend hours filling forms to prove that I'm not supporting international terrorism AND bring my hanko.

Cash works well on a local scale, but not for international transactions. In many industrialised countries, it will no longer be in use within the next 10 to 20 years. Sweden is a good example.

The BS decisions and requirements of government are not the true problems of cash. They are invented problems of government, and 90 percent totally contrived.

We should oppose this attempt at government authoritarianism with literal fire.

Its only dependent on my own ability to secure it and I DO NOT TRUST other people to handle my money at all.

I wonder if there is still a lot of people that leave their wife handle their money :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
From the feedbacks I had it was still the norm not so long ago amongst Japanese and foreigners alike...

I wonder if there is still a lot of people that leave their wife handle their money :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
From the feedbacks I had it was still the norm not so long ago amongst Japanese and foreigners alike...

Wives are not exactly "other people". But I also wonder how many husbands still hand it all over to the wife.

Back
Top Bottom