What's new

1950s Japanese Photo, street scene with signage.

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
Hello!

One aspect of my photo collection is Japanese street scenes from the late 1940s and 1950s. I do not have a lot of these but am always pleased to find such unposed, authentic views from Japanese life. A recent addition has a great deal of shop signage and I hope to learn what some of these signs might read. They might also help me determine the location of the snapshot.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1.jpg
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
1c.jpg
1d.jpg

Hello,
This is Shimokyō-chō in Sasebo, Nagasaki. The signs are for the high street which has all kinds of shops: fish and seafood-related items (kamaboko - which is a kind of fish spam, and I see a sign for whale meat), toy shops, a doctor's office, paint.

For example, the sign for the shop in the foreground on the left right reads "Tanaka Store" (田中商店) which is selling candies, toys, and other items. The shop on the foreground on the right reads Tanaka Kamaboko Annex (田中蒲鉾出張所). Also on the right, maybe in the same building, is what looks like Kimura Clinic for STDs and dermatology (木村ヒフ性病科).

Last edited:
Majestic,

This is much more information than I had hoped for - my sincere thanks. I have recorded the information in pencil on the reverse of the photo. With some luck the image will be around long after I am not.

Back
Top Bottom