What's new

1930s Japanese non postage stamp

Bunkerhill

Sempai
17 Aug 2016
Hey gang,
I recently purchased a few vintage Japanese matchbox covers for my collection and the seller included an item I am unfamiliar with.

I think this may date from the 1930s but am uncertain. While in a stamp format I'm certain it is not a postage stamp.

Can anyone translate this for me? I would like to be able to catalog it properly.

thanks!
forum.jpg

東京朝日同情週間
Tokyo Asahi Sympathy(?) Weekly (newspaper)

So it's a newspaper stamp of some sort. From what I could gather from this, newspapers were involved with social welfare activities after the great Kanto earthquake. Maybe they linked sales to charity somehow. So 1930ish would be about right I think.

東京朝日同情週間
Tokyo Asahi Sympathy(?) Weekly (newspaper)

This is not quite right. It's "Sympathy Week" (as in a special seven-day period), not "Weekly" (as in the name of a periodical). The two 4-character parts refer to separate things, and should not be merged together when read. Only the bottom 4-character part refers to the name of the periodical (Tokyo Asahi Shinbun).

Recently purchased a canceled example of this poster stamp on EBay. Have yet to discover if it was a one-off or one in a series. Not skilled enough at reading Japanese to make sense of the linked document.

Back
Top Bottom