What's new

~ことにしている

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

そして、同じような問題が起こらないようにする方法をしっかり考えるように日産に厳しく言うことにしています。(it's the last sentence from NEWS WEB EASY|日産 「20年ぐらい前から正しい検査をしていなかった」)

Does this ことにしています has the meaning of 習慣, as stated in the dictionary? (㋗(「…ことにしている」などの形で)意図的な習慣にしている意を表す。事(こと)の意味 - goo国語辞書)
I'm asking because I'm not sure how to interpret the sentence if it does mean 習慣.
Does this mean that they will harshly keep telling Nissan to do X (the stuff before ように) until the thing is finally done?

Edit:
completely misread your post. Sorry.

Yes, due to a conscient decision, a certain action is going to be done, so that problems like that never happen again.

(「…ことにする」「…こととする」などの形で)決定する意を表す。「やっぱり田舎に帰る事にするよ」)

Last edited:
It's not a habit "keep telling", but expressing their decision (「…ことにする」「…こととする」などの形で)決定する意を表す。, as pointed out above.

Thank you!

That's the definition that makes most sense, but I didn't know if ことにしている has to be interpreted as 習慣 or if it can be 決定 with ~ている form.

Thank you!

That's the definition that makes most sense, but I didn't know if ことにしている has to be interpreted as 習慣 or if it can be 決定 with ~ている form.

You'll have to reason about the message being conveyed and try to figure out if it allows this "custom/habit" interpretation, ie the verb in the ている form is the key

most of the time either one will reinforce the idea that someone has decided to do something.

You'll have to reason about the message being conveyed and try to figure out if it allows this "custom/habit" interpretation, ie the verb in the ている form is the key

most of the time either one will reinforce the idea that someone has decided to do something.
Yep, I got it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom