What's new

調査を要望されていた

Davide92

後輩
8 May 2017
Hi guys, I'm back! Hope you're all doing great. I'm asking for your help about a sentence from the anime 'Death Note'. A policeman is reading a report in front of his colleagues about some mysterious deaths. The police is cooperating with a person known as L, who asked them to focus the investigation on the time of death of the victims. Here's the sentence:

そして、Lから特に調査を要望されていた死亡推定時刻ですが、日本時間の平日午後四時頃から、深夜二時。(I believe I can put a full stop here).

Would I be correct in assuming that Lから特に調査を要望されていた is a relative clause modifying 時刻?

I was also wondering about that を (調査を要望されていた) as opposed to using が. Is を there so that the police is brought into the sentence? A bit like saying "We (the police) were requested to investigate this"?

Would I be correct in assuming that Lから特に調査を要望されていた is a relative clause modifying 時刻?
Yes.

I was also wondering about that を (調査を要望されていた) as opposed to using が. Is を there so that the police is brought into the sentence? A bit like saying "We (the police) were requested to investigate this"?
Exactly. Your understanding is correct. Unlike the original one, 調査が要望されていた死亡推定時刻 doesn't suggest that the speaker is the one who were asked to do that.

Back
Top Bottom