私の洋服 / 新入社員 / 誰かと行ってみよう

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 私の洋服屋から戻ってきた時に破れていた。

Translation given: "My dress was ruined when it came back from the cleaner's."

a) Should this read 私の洋服は...?

b) Also, do we know that 屋 specifically means "cleaner's"?

2. At the end of an invitation card:

* OB・OG 一言伝言板 *

What could this mean?

3. The speaker is (I think) explaining why he has been asked to organise the company's new year party.

ええ、新入社員がすることになってるからって言われち ゃって。

What does 新入社員がすることになってる mean? Obviously I understand it is something to do with new employees, but beyond that I'm lost.

4. The discussion is about whether to book an Italian restaurant for the new year party:

竹田: ・・・そうしたら、イタリアンじゃない方がい いのかも・・・。
足立: ん~。どうかなぁ。でも、今度、一度誰かと行 ってみようかなぁ。
竹田: そうね。じゃ、そうしてみて。

My translation:

Takeda: ... In that case, it might be best not to go to the Italian place?
Achida: Hmm, maybe. Anyway, I wonder if I should go there one time with someone and check it out.
Takeda: Right, you should do that.

Is this correct? I'm a bit unsure about who is proposing to go with whom.

5. 夫の愛情に応え、病を克服した妻との夫婦愛を、感動的 に描く。

I have tried to translate this as "(The film) movingly portrays the conjugal affection of the wife who recovers from her illness in response to her husband's love".

Have I got the overall structure of this correct? I am unsure, especially, of the purpose of と. If my translation is correct, I don't understand why it wouldn't just be 妻の夫婦愛. I also wondered if と could mean "and", and 妻との夫婦愛 was short for 妻と妻の夫婦愛, but I'm doubtful that that is correct Japanese.

1) a) b)
It must be a typo of 私の洋服はクリーニング屋から戻ってきた時に破れていた.

2)
Short Message Board for OB and OG

3)
~ことになって(い)る: to be supposed to~

The task is supposed to be done by new employees.

4)
Yes, that's correct.

5)
This と is not for "and" but for "with". と shows that the person who possesses 夫婦愛 is 夫.

夫の愛情に応え、病を克服した妻との(夫の)夫婦愛

Probably there is a description about the husband(e.g. how devotedly he cared for his wife) previously in that sentence, right?

OB and OG refer to "Old Boys" and "Old Girls".....past members.

Thanks guys.

2)
Short Message Board for OB and OG
Could you explain what "Short Message Board" means in this context?

3)
~ことになって(い)る: to be supposed to~
Oh yes, I should know ~ことになる by now.

I'm assuming って = と, so was the speaker literally told 「新入社員がすることになってるから」 as an explanation of why he was being chosen to organise it?

5)
This と is not for "and" but for "with". と shows that the person who possesses 夫婦愛 is 夫.

夫の愛情に応え、病を克服した妻との(夫の)夫婦愛

Probably there is a description about the husband(e.g. how devotedly he cared for his wife) previously in that sentence, right?
Does と correspond to the word "for" if we word it like "the husband's affection (夫婦愛) for his wife (妻)"?

The previous sentence is アルコール中毒の妻を支え続けた夫役をアンディー・ガルシアが好演. Incidentally, how would you interpret 夫役 there?

I'm assuming って = と, so was the speaker literally told 「新入社員がすることになってるから」 as an explanation of why he was being chosen to organise it?

Yes.

eeky said:
Does と correspond to the word "for" if we word it like "the husband's affection (夫婦愛) for his wife (妻)"?

Yeah, you can't really translate it "with" here, so that's probably the best translation for it.

eeky said:
The previous sentence is アルコール中毒の妻を支え続けた夫役をアンディー・ガルシアが好演. Incidentally, how would you interpret 夫役 there?

It means "the role of (the) husband". It should be read おっとやく, if I remember correctly.

Could you explain what "Short Message Board" means in this context?
It means "If you(OB or OG) have a short message for new students, please write it down here."

Actually, this と has a nuance of reciprocal/mutual, as Glenn-san explained here.
e.g.
彼と話す(talk with him) vs 彼に話す(talk to him)
妻との夫婦愛 vs 妻への夫婦愛

Back
Top Bottom