What's new

私と帰ろう ・ ことある ・ までで ・ 送ってい く

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

Could you help me with these sentences too, please?

1) 私と帰ろう!!
A parent is talking to his child. Is volitional used here as a soft imperative?

2) こんなことで悩むなら、もっと前から悩むことあるだろ。
The speaker's sister is depressed. Her friends tell her brother that it's because he is such a "good for nothing", to which he responds with that sentence.

a)もっと前から modifies 悩む, not ある, right?
b) also, こと simply means "thing" here, right? What I mean is that it's not this kind of construction.
renshuu.org - grammar page for ことがある

Therefore, would this translation be correct: "If she would be troubled because of something like this, then there are things that would trouble her sooner, right?"

3)知らぬか・・・ヴィンテージの話までで止まっておったのでな・・・
ヴィンテージ is the name of some organization.
The speaker was listening to someone explaining what happened so far. The other person ends his story and now the speaker intends to continue with what he knows. (He knows more than the person that was already explaining, but lets him talk, so that he can fill in the gaps after that)

Does までで means that he talked about ヴィンテージ, finished their part, and then he stopped? While ヴィンテージの話で止まっておったのでな・・・ would mean that he stopped talking right before reaching the part about ヴィンテージ?

4) A:そもそもお前が悪い!お前があんな変なメールを送ってきたのが、すべての始まりなんだよ!
B:私が?メールを?なんのことだ・・・?
A:送ってくんだよ!10年後に!

A was sent 10 years back into the past by B. Now A meets B (10 years into the past) and starts saying that everything happened because of the mail he received on that day. B doesn't know what he is talking about because it didn't happen yet. And then A says this: 送ってくんだよ!.

At first sight I translated the last sentence as "Send me! 10 years into the future!", but the given translation is "You will send it! After 10 years!", which does make more sense.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly why ~ていく is used. Is it just to show that the action is not directed at the speaker? 今の私じゃなくて、10年後の私に送っていくんだよ!("You won't send it to the me right here, but the me 10 years into the future!")

1)
Yes.

2) a) b)
Right.

3)
まで more clearly shows that the story still continues even after the ヴィンテージ part. 話までで and 話で both can mean each of these; 1)"stopped talking right before reaching the part", 2)"stopped talking in the midst of the part" and 3)"finished the part, and then he stopped".

4)
送ってくんだよ is the contraction of 送ってくんだよ in that case, not 送ってくんだよ. (Yeah, that's confusing, indeed. The two contracted forms are completely the same, so you need to interpret the meaning from the context.)

I see. It never even crossed my mind that it could be くる. Thank you, Toritoribe!

Back
Top Bottom