What's new

晴れたらでいい vs 晴れるといい

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
A:『……この長雨は当分止まないそうよ』
B:「ですからもし、まんがいち晴れたらでいいんです。マンションの下まで車で迎えに行きますから」
A is a woman and B is a man. Speaker B wants speaker A to let B meet C, who is in bad health condition, but A refuses B on the pretext that the rain is going to keep up, which could worsen the C's condition.

Hi. Somehow the previous thread is gone, but I'd like to ask another related question.
ですからもし、まんがいち晴れるといいんです。
Does the above version work in this context? What is the difference between ですからもし、まんがいち晴れたらでいいんです。 and ですからもし、まんがいち晴れるといいんです。?

Thank you.

As thomas-san mentioned in this post, some of your posts were lost. Sorry for that.

As I wrote in your lost thread (and I believe you already read it), 万が一晴れたらでいいんです means 万が一晴れたら会わせてもらえる(というの)でいいんです. Thus, 万が一晴れたら is the condition for his being able to meet the person. He is saying that it's OK that he can meet the person only on the condition "if the weather is clear".

As for 晴れるといい, no it doesn't work well there.

Thank you for explaining it again.
As thomas-san mentioned in this post, some of your posts were lost. Sorry for that.
Yes, I know that. No need to apologize. I know the forums were undergoing maintenance that day and I know the potential risk of losing data. So perhaps I shouldn't have posted them that day.
As for 晴れるといい, no it doesn't work well there.
It doesn't work well there because it just means "It will be fine if the weather clears up", thus making no room for the implied 会わせてもらえる(というの)?

That's right. Plus, 万が一晴れるといいんです doesn't work well, either. As you might already learned, ~と conditional is usually used for an event that is occurred repeatedly, habitual action or when the main clause naturally occurs in the condition (e.g. 春になると花が咲く, お酒を飲むと眠くなる), while ~たら conditional is usually for on-off event.

Thank you again.
As you might already learned, ~と conditional is usually used for an event that is occurred repeatedly, habitual action or when the main clause naturally occurs in the condition (e.g. 春になると花が咲く, お酒を飲むと眠くなる), while ~たら conditional is usually for on-off event.
Yes, I learned about the difference between 〜と、〜たら、〜なら、〜ば years ago.

Back
Top Bottom