What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question 彼女が私たちのチームの選手だったらいいのにな

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
In the sentence above, there are three ending particles: 「のに、な」I understand な has some emphatic connotation but what about のに, what purpose does it serve in the sentence?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
のに is an adversative conjunction, and it expresses a wish which is impossible/hard to be realized when it's put at the end of a sentence. Thus, it's close to subjunctive past in English.

空を飛べたらいいのに(でも実際は飛べない)。
I wish I could fly (but actually I can't).

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
のに is an adversative conjunction, and it expresses a wish which is impossible/hard to be realized when it's put at the end of a sentence. Thus, it's close to subjunctive past in English.

空を飛べたらいいのに(でも実際は飛べない)。
I wish I could fly (but actually I can't).

What purpose does the いい here? What role does it play?

As for ~たら my dictionary says it's a conjunction which indicates that the action/state expressed by the main clause in a sentence takes place after the action state expressed.

先生に聞いたらすぐ分かった。
I understand how it works in this sentence ↑ but I don't understand what role it play in the original sentence.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
たら is a conditional here, so it's "it's good if~". As a result, ~たらいい is used as a set expression to express the speaker's wish/hope. I believe this expression is most likely in your dictionary.

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
There are only three definitions for ~たら in my dictionary. The one I've mentioned, and ~たらする (do things like) and たらどうですか (why don't you). The only ~たら explanation which looks like a conditional is the one I've provided in the sense of:
先生に聞いたら→すぐ分かった。
When I asked my teacher I understood right away.
...which could be interpreted as a conditional I suppose.

So this: 空を飛べたらいいのに
Is meant to be interpreted as:
空を飛べたら→if I fly in the sky, いいのに, it is good.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
So this: 空を飛べたらいいのに
Is meant to be interpreted as:
空を飛べたら→if I fly in the sky, いいのに, it is good.
It's for just ~たらいい. のに shows it's impossible or hard to be realized, as I wrote.
e.g.
一緒に遊べたらいいな (expressing the speaker's wish, which might be able to be possible)
一緒に遊べたらいいのにな (expressing the speaker's wish, which is impossible or hard to be realized)

Top Bottom