家まではまだ数駅ある translation

nonezumi

先輩
28 Aug 2010
Hello,

If possible please, kindly, help me to translate the following sentence:

家まではまだ数駅あるが、車内に、アナウンスが流れて、次が下車駅であると知らせた。

Maybe it could be translated as:

"It was several stations from home, but inner announcement let know to get off on the next station".

Although I am not sure with the meaning of the first part of the sentence.

Thank you very much. :sorry:

Your translation looks good. I have an issue with the sentence, though, particularly the part after that. アナウンスが流れて、次が下車駅であると知らせた doesn't have a topic marked, so it never says who's doing the informing. I guess even though it isn't stated, it should just be understood that アナウンス is the subject of both 流れる and 知らせる, although I've always thought that が couldn't carry a subject across phrase boundaries, which would be the job of は. But I guess は would be unnatural here, and so would repeating アナウンスが. Although I guess if you interpret 流れて as being "was played, and..." (for lack of a more accurate way to put it into English), アナウンスが would work as the subject of both. It's probably just my lack of understanding, and the 次が in 次が下車駅である throwing me off. :sick:

次が means 次の駅が. ;)

My problem in understanding the sentence is that it is grammatically correct but seems semantically odd. There are still several stations on the way to the nearest station from home, but the next station is the one s/he should get off? S/He isn't going home??

Hello Glennさん、

Thank you very much for your kind help and explanations.
I did not knew about that は/が nuance. :sorry:

Hello Toritoribeさん、

Thank you for your always kind and so perfect help.

This story titled しにがみのバラッド.
It started with image of early morning when 3 schoolchild went out to school. Then it continues with image of electric train atmosphere. I supposed that it is about going from home. Although I am not sure if it is so. Unfortunately my reading slow and mistake prone.

I am sorry for my mistakes.

Thank you very much :sorry:

次が means 次の駅が.
Yeah, I got that, but it took me a second. That happens a lot when I'm reading, it seems. I see something that throws me off a bit, but then will make sense after a little bit, but I'll end up having to read the sentence at least twice to go back and really get it. Lately I'm wondering if it's because of a lack of immediate recognition and strong connection to meanings of words that come up. Particularly troublesome lately has been just about any sentence in the book I'm working through, 人間の本性を考える 心は「空白の石版」か (original title The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature).
My problem in understanding the sentence is that it is grammatically correct but seems semantically odd. There are still several stations on the way to the nearest station from home, but the next station is the one s/he should get off? S/He isn't going home??
Yeah, that threw me too, but it took a back seat to my confusion over what the subject of 知らせる was. 😅

Hello @Glenn さん、

Thank you for the book title. Surely, I can not read it in Japanese language. But reflections on this "never ending debates" topic always makes me wonder about it.

Thank you very much :sorry:

Probably it is referring to several stops from home in the opposite direction. (And のに is a particle that makes the sentence angrier and longer).

家まではまだ数駅あるのに、車内に、アナウンスが流れて、次が下車駅であると知らせた。

電車で眠っていたのかもしれませんね。:sleep:

Back
Top Bottom