What's new

先週のテストは簡単で、いい点が取れました。

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
The translation is "Last week's test was easy, and I got a good grade."

取れました here doesn't seem to be the potential form of 取る. Is it actually the verb 取れる in dictionary form? One of the meanings of 取れる is "to be attained" being intransitive which is the closest possible meaning I can guess.

First of all, the translation doesn't say "I could get a good grade."

Secondly, the speaker is talking about the past. It's very unnatural to me to say he or she could get a good grade while whatever could happen has happened.

It could only possibly make sense if the test had been done but the result hasn't been released at the time of speaking. However the translation doesn't reflect it unless there is a typo.

By the way both the example sentence and the translation are from a textbook.

You seem to be extrapolating from a somewhat limited understanding of the potential form. There's nothing at all unnatural about using potential form to refer to a past event. The nuance is "I was able to get a good grade."

For complete accuracy, the textbook should have given the above as the corresponding English to make it a literal translation. However, it's probably just going for natural English here. We probably wouldn't go out of our way to say "I was able to..." in this case in English, but in Japanese I'd say it's very idiomatic to use the potential form here.

Perhaps I have too much faith in textbooks. The English translation is natural to me but not reflecting literally what the Japanese text tries to say. On second thought if it says "I was able to get a good grade" or anything similar I would have no question to ask. My comment was wrong in saying that the meaning of the Japanese text is unnatural. I can only say the English translation as some teaching material is inadequate or misleading if not wrong. If the author chose to give such translation for a language learner, he or she would need to explain more. The English translation is only valid if it stands in isolation.

I was not picking nit. I just made sure I didn't miss anything. That's all. It threw me a bit when I saw there was a separate entry of 取れる in the dictionary.

Back
Top Bottom