What's new

ダウンママ and ダウンの母.

keannu2

後輩
4 Aug 2019
ダウンママ( ダウンの母 ):ミンソママ、最近ミンソは塾何ヶ所通ってるんですか?
ミンソママ:英語は塾通いで、数学は個人レッスンを受けています。 ダウンは?

1. Please let me know which is proper between ダウンママ and ダウンの母.
2. Does 塾 generally mean "private academy" in Japanese?

I'm not familiar with the expression "ダウンママ". Does it refer to young mothers wearing padded down coats with room to hold their babies in front? (That's the impression I get when I search the net).

塾 can be translated in a number of ways: private academy, after-school coaching school, cram schools, etc... Since its not a firmly-established part of western culture, there is no one set way of translating it. Cram schools is the most colloquial, but this carries a negative connotation that is not usually intended in the original language.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
1. ダウンママ is merely a phonetic translation of "Daun's mom", where Daun is a girl's name.
2. OK, which is more common;y used between "塾" and 学院(がくいん) to indicate a private academy where they teach major subjects such as English and math for college entrance exam?

1)
Is that your translation? (Incidentally, ミンソは塾何ヶ所通ってるんですか? is understandable, but sounds awkward.)

2)
Only 塾 is used. 学院 doesn't have such a meaning.

OK, I changed like this. This isn't my translation but Papago's.
Japanese and Korean are so similar, so I assumed that "は" and "に" can be frequently omitted even in Japanese as they are in Korean.
Does the insertion of these post-positions make the meaning clear?

ダウンの母 :幸子さん 、最近ミンソは塾何ヶ所通ってるんですか?
ミンソの母 : 英語は塾通いで、数学は個人レッスンを受けています。ダウンは?

I initially thought you were trying to learn Japanese with a textbook or something, but then, it's more likely you are going to revise results of machine translation. You need to realize that "natural conversation" is hard to make for non-native learners, even for advanced learners. Your ones are not bad and mostly grammatically correct, but sound rather stiff and and sometimes awkward. Machine translation is not so useful for this field yet. There is a huge gap between "enough to understand" and "sounds natural". The following is my attempt. See the difference.

今日は韓国の学校以外での教育に関する表現を学びます。韓国の保護者にとって、子どもの教育ほど重要なことはありません。
最初に二人のお母さんの会話を聞いてみましょう。

幸子(ダウンの母):ミンソ君は今何ヶ所の塾に通っているんですか?
name(ミンソの母):英語だけ通っていて、数学は個人レッスンを受けています。ダウンちゃんは?
幸子:うちはどっちも塾に通っています。 塾の授業料よりそれ以外の費用のほうが高いので、ちょっと負担も大きいですね。
name:そうですよね。今の子供たちは勉強でほんとに苦労していますよね。私たちの時は塾も家庭教師もなかったのに。

Thanks for your revision, but I think this sentence should be the second one.
It means "As private lesson fee is higher private academy fee, it is burdensome to us."
幸子:うちはどっちも塾に通っています。 塾の授業料よりそれ以外の費用のほうが高いので、ちょっと負担も大きいですね。
=> うちはどっちも塾に通っています。 塾の授業料より課外授業 費用が高いので、ちょっと負担になります

The main problem is that you only wrote the Japanese translations, and didn't provide original English sentences (more accurately to say, your original ones might be Korean sentences, though).

Your initial Japanese sentence 塾の授業料より課外費用が高いので、ちょっと負担になります。 is interpreted that the speaker 幸子 is talking about her 負担 of 塾. That's why I used それ以外の費用 because she already said that her daughter ダウン only uses 塾. If she wants to say that she doesn't use private lesson because the fee is higher than 塾's fee, you need to add から at the end of her words.

By the way, I don't think 課外授業 works well there. Anyway, first of all, you should unify the Japanese translations of each term.
revised version
幸子:うちはどっちも塾に通っています。 個人レッスンは費用がかかるから。(かかりますから sounds too polite, therefore stiff/distant.)

Back
Top Bottom