What's new

まいって / 今日なんかさ... / 上で / 持ってくの

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. この間、おまえ、結構まいってたから、心配してたんだ ぞ。

I believe this means "You've been very ... ??? ... lately, so I've been worried."

Is まいって = 参って? What does it mean here? The context is that the addressee has been having difficulties with his relationship with his girlfriend.

2. 足立 goes on to explain that he has made up with his girlfriend. Then there is the following exchange:

足立:今日なんかさ、話がはずんじゃってさ。
桜井:で?
足立:今度冬に2,3日休暇がとれたら、友達誘ってス キーに行こうってことになってさ。
桜井:へえ~。どうりでおまえ、うきうきしているわけ だ。だいだいおまえって正直なやつだから、気持ちがそ のまま顔に出るんだよな。目じりがとろっとしちゃって さ。

My translation:

足立: I need to speak to her today.
桜井: Why?
足立: This winter, if I can get two or three days' holiday, some friends have invited me to go skiing.
桜井: Hey, no wonder you're looking happy. You're such an honest chap, your expression reflects the way you're feeling. ... ??? ...

a) In the first line, what is じゃってさ? Is it では + って (emphasis) + さ (emphasis)?

b) In the third line, is 友達 the subject or object of 誘って? How do you tell?

c) In the fourth line, what does だいだい mean? Could it be a mistake for だいたい(大体)?

d) At the end, what is 目じりがとろっとしちゃってさ? I guess it may involve an idiom or set expression?

3. 次の表現は、会話を進める上で、どんな時に使われるれ でしょうか。

Does 会話を進める上で mean "as the conversation progresses"? Does "as" capture the correct meaning of 上で?

4. 宿題のプリント、持ってくの忘れちゃったんだ。

a) Is 持ってくの忘れちゃった = 持っていくのを忘れちゃった ?

b) Is 宿題のプリント a printout containing the pupil's homework (i.e. they did their homework on a computer)?

1)
2 閉口する。よわる。困る。「今年の暑さには―・った」
まいる - goo辞書

2)
話がはずむ: the conversation becomes lively

a)
はずんでしまってさ

b)
That's the object 友達を誘ってスキーに行こう; "we(= she and I)'ll invite some friends to go sking".
Generally, the subject marker が is rarely omitted for transitive verbs, especially when the two interpretations, as the object and the subject, are semantically possible like this case.

c)
Right. That's 大体.

d)
目じりがとろっとする is not so common expression. It's almost the same as 目じりが下がる.

3)
in progressing the conversation

4) a)
Yes.

b)
No. プリント refers to "printed documents".

Thank you,

2d) Um, what does 目じりが下がる mean? It sounds like it should be a gloomy expression, not a happy one!

4b) Do you understand the scenario being described here? I can't quite see what is going on... Did the child forget to take 宿題のプリント to class? What exactly would 宿題のプリント refer to? The preceding sentence is お母さん、また先生に叱られちゃった・・・。

2) d)
目尻を下げる
〔うれしそうな顔をする〕look happy/〔女を見てにやけた顔をする〕make eyes at ((a woman))
目尻 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

4) b)
宿題のプリント refers to a homework paper, sometimes teacher's hand-made one. You can see examples here. The teacher had given the homework paper to the child, but he/she left it home.

Back
Top Bottom