What's new

のだった vs のだ

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
士道とのデートはとても楽しい。二人で歩いているだけで、喋っているだけで、本当に時間を忘れてしまうような感覚を得ることができる。 でも、いや、だからこそ---------士道がいなくなってしまったあとの寂しさは、より強くなってしまうのだった

Hi. What is the function of the のだった at the end of the second sentence? If we change it into のだ, how will the nuance change?

Thank you.

I don't find something unusual. I just can get my head around the function of のだった. I have searched the previous threads and the only relevant thread is this one I have just started. I know のだ has a lot functions according to my grammar book but I'm not sure about the past form のだった. According to my grammar book, のだった also has the function called 再認識 (I'm not sure how to say this in English), for example, (掲示を見て) 明日会議があるんだった。Is the op example an example of 再認識?

I meant "past tense" by "past form". It's just a usual narrative part of novel isn't it?
Thank you. According to my book, if we change のだ into the past form のだった, we need to change the verb before のだ into た form as well. For example,
(8) a. 私は帰ったら寝るつもりだ。疲れているのだ。
b. 私ば帰ってからずっと寝ていた。疲れていたのだった。
It is said (8)b is the た form of (8)a.

Or, maybe I misrepresented the explanation in my book and actually we don't need to shift the tense into past form before のだ as well when changing のだ into its past form?:unsure:

There is no problem with 彼は翌日彼女に会うことになるのだった in narrative part of novel. Again and again, you should realize that narrative part of novel has unique grammar different from usual speech, especially in tense.

Hi, toritoribe-san. Can I think, in the op, より強くなってしまうのだった is the same as より強くなってしまった? (I mean that the のだった doesn't have any meaning or specific function.)

結局あのあと士道は三人に一着ずつ水着をプレゼントし、昼食を摂ってから帰宅した。
その後令音に呼び出させて再度プランの確認をしていたのである。途中十香と四糸乃を呼んでの夕食を挟んだとはいえ、結構な時間がかかっていたようだ。
本当ならもう一度琴里と話しておきたかったのだが、琴里のコンディションが安定しないとの理由でそれも叶わなかった。果たして士道はもう明日までやることもないまま放流され、こんなところでぼうっとしているのだった
「……」
ぼんやりと天井を眺めながら、細く息を吐く。
ついさきまではよかったのだが……することがなくなると途端に、本当はしたくもない余計な思案が、顔を覗かせてくるのだった
具体的に言うのならーー昨日聞いた、折紙の言葉が。

And in the above quote, I think, like the op example, こんなところでぼうっとしているのだった is the same as こんなところでぼうっとしていた and 顔を覗かせてくるのだった is the same as 顔を覗かせてきた. (I mean that the のだったs in green don't have any meaning or specific function.)
While のである in red is for emphasis.

(That is to say, none of the のだs in question is explanatory のだs since nothing is explained)

Am I on the right track?
Thank you for your time.

Can I think, in the op, より強くなってしまうのだった is the same as より強くなってしまった? (I mean that the のだった doesn't have any meaning or specific function.)
Those are the same in meaning but different in nuance. だからこそ clearly shows that の has an explanatory tone.

And in the above quote, I think, like the op example, こんなところでぼうっとしているのだった is the same as こんなところでぼうっとしていた and 顔を覗かせてくるのだった is the same as 顔を覗かせてきた. (I mean that the のだったs in green don't have any meaning or specific function.)
While のである in red is for emphasis.

(That is to say, none of the のだs in question is explanatory のだs since nothing is explained)

Am I on the right track?
I don't think so. の are the explanatory one also there.

Back
Top Bottom