What's new

なんかやるにしいても - typo?

Bekkichan

Transloter!
14 Jul 2004
Hi all... back with another translation query...

So the paragraph I'm trying to translate now is about a quote that the author is fond of: 兵は拙速を尊ぶ, "a soldier/warrior values haste." I'm fine with the quote itself and his explanation of its meaning, but then he goes on to sort of relate it to himself, using this line:

なんかやるにしいても、いつになったら出来るねん?み たいにノロノロやるんじゃなくて、がーっとやりたいよな。

Most of this I understand well enough, but the なんかやるにしいても bit is what's confusing me. Could that しいて be a typo for して? Or is the whole thing put together a phrase that I'm not familiar with? The only thing I found when I looked up しいて was 強いて, which means something like 'by force' (right?)... but if that's what he meant, I'm not sure how it fits in with the sentence, or what the も after it means, since it's a noun...

Would appreciate any help you folks could offer here! m(_ _)m

Could that しいて be a typo for して?
Most likely, yes.

Also, you are right that 「強いて」 is inappropriate.

There is a chance that it had been added to suggest the Kansai way of saying it--considering that the sentence has 「出来るねん」 which is a Kansai phrase. I can't say this for sure, since I'm not from Kansai. NANGI-san is a Kansai person... 😅

Ah yes, the author of this text is pure Kansai-jin if there ever was one. :giggle:

Thanks for the tip! So put into English, do you think something like "If I set out to do something, I don't want to be sluggish and have to wonder 'when will this ever be done?', but to drive forward and do it." would make sense? I know there's a wee bit of artistic license at work in that translation, but ehh... :p

Well..., yes to me, at least. It does reflect that is said in Japanese.

However, 「ガーっとやる」 is a modern colloquialism that only means you do things quickly, as if you're using a machine. So, you don't have to translate it literally. Just my opinion.
😅

Bekkichan said:
なんかやるにしいても、いつになったら出来るねん?みたいにノロノロやるんじゃなくて、がーっとやりたいよな。

Most of this I understand well enough, but the なんかやるにしいても bit is what's confusing me. Could that しいて be a typo for して?
No typo I think.

Bekkichan said:
Or is the whole thing put together a phrase that I'm not familiar with?
Possibly from
如く 【しく】 (v5k) to excel; to be equal to

なんかやるにしいても、いつになったら出来るねん?
However excellently you do it, when it it gonna get finished, huh?

Paul,

なんかやるにしいても、いつになったら出来るねん?み たいにノロノロやるんじゃなくて、がーっとやりたいよな。

This sentence in standard Japanese is:
何をやるにしても、「いつになったら出来るんだろう?」と思われるようなノロノロでなくて、ガーっと(一気に)やりたいね。

如く is inappropriate here, I think. 😅

If you must use kanji, 何をやるにしても is 何をやるに為も.

Konnichiwa Mina-san!

Bekkichan said:
なんかやるにしいても、いつになったら出来るねん?みたいにノロノロやるんじゃなくて、がーっとやりたいよな。

Most of this I understand well enough, but the なんかやるにしいても bit is what's confusing me. Could that しいて be a typo for して?
Yes, 「しいて」 is typo in this sentence. 「して」 is correct. 👍

But sometimes Kansai-jin use 「しい」 or 「しいて」 instead of 「して」. an instance...

「はよしい」
「はよしいて言うてるやろ」

Both words means "Be quick!", 「はよしい」 is 「はやくしなさい」 and 「はよしいて言うてるやろ」 is 「はやくしなさいと言っているでしょう!」 in common language. 「しい」 is used in an imperative form(it is 「しなさい」 in common language). But 「なんかやるにしいても」 is not an imperative form, and it is typo of 「なんかやるにしても」.

「しいて」 is typo, and 「強いる」 or 「如く」 have no connection with this sentence. 😌

NANGI

Back
Top Bottom